• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hotel Chains Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
There just aren't many Ibisses generally (!) and they are in quite random places.

Holiday Inn, despite its name, is primarily a chain of business hotels in the UK.

There is one in the centre of Carlisle which served me well for the Wetherspoons in that town and the Scottish Borders back in May 2021.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
Travelodge want £154.98 for the same dates, for a cancellable rate. I've previously been put off the chain because of things people have said about them.

When I've stayed a couple of times in PIs I've forgone the breakfast in the hotel and dined in a local Whetherspoons - cheaper and more choice. If I take this option I may do the same.

Oh, just realised one thing. Travelodge don't store luggage, which is essential for me.

richw

Veteran Member
Ibis are perfectly fine as a budget/midrange brand too, they just aren't as common in the UK. Standard is basically Premier Inn level though their "modubogs" are a bit Marmite. Breakfasts I find far better than PI. They are my default outside the UK.
I stayed in Ibis budget in Portsmouth and perfectly fine was not a word I’d use to describe it.
Room stunk of cigarettes as did the bedding.
No hot water for a shower in the morning.
Receptionist was rude and abrupt.
Definitely one I will avoid in future

SteveM70

Established Member
Oh, just realised one thing. Travelodge don't store luggage, which is essential for me

Is that now their policy? I’ve stayed in a few when I’ve been away cycling and never had a problem getting them to look after a bag

Bungle73

On Moderation
Is that now their policy? I’ve stayed in a few when I’ve been away cycling and never had a problem getting them to look after a bag
I thought that had always been their policy? That's what I've read.

WizCastro197

Established Member
I thought that had always been their policy? That's what I've read.
This is what Travelodge say:
Most of our hotels are unable to offer a luggage service.** However, our hotel teams may be able to recommend a local service provider. Why not make your stay with us more flexible with our early check in and late check out services? This will then allow you to check in from 12pm (normally 3pm), or check out late until 2pm (normally 12pm) for just £10 per service. With this flexibility, you can go off and explore quick after arriving, or take more time to relax in the comfort of your room or over breakfast before you leave. You can add this service to your booking online or you can call your chosen hotel directly.

richw

Veteran Member
Ibis Budget is like Travelodge minus, or YHA plus. I've not had an issue with them myself, but they are a very low end brand.
Low end brand or not, I expect hot water for a shower and bedding not to smell of cigarettes.

I’ve used easyhotel many times and they’ve always managed a clean environment and a good shower

WizCastro197

Established Member
Low end brand or not, I expect hot water for a shower and bedding not to smell of cigarettes.

I’ve used easyhotel many times and they’ve always managed a clean environment and a good shower
How much did you pay, if you don’t mind me asking?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ibis Budget is like Travelodge minus, or YHA plus. I've not had an issue with them myself, but they are a very low end brand.
I've stayed in an Ibis Budget in both Zurich and Sydney. They were both reasonable hotels for me. I don't think I've stayed in a UK Ibis Budget.

Ediswan

Established Member
I stayed in Ibis budget in Portsmouth and perfectly fine was not a word I’d use to describe it.
Room stunk of cigarettes as did the bedding.
No hot water for a shower in the morning.
Receptionist was rude and abrupt.
Definitely one I will avoid in future
I have stayed there a couple of times prior to catching an early ferry to France. It must have gone downhill. We had no complaints. They even let us bring our bikes into the rooms rather than risking them outside on the car roof overnight.

ChrisC

Established Member
Travelodge want £154.98 for the same dates, for a cancellable rate. I've previously been put off the chain because of things people have said about them.

When I've stayed a couple of times in PIs I've forgone the breakfast in the hotel and dined in a local Whetherspoons - cheaper and more choice. If I take this option I may do the same.

Oh, just realised one thing. Travelodge don't store luggage, which is essential for me.
I’ve stayed in the Travelodge on Micklegate in York but did pay a little bit extra for one of their super rooms. I would say that it was better than many Premier Inns I have stayed in but I never bother with breakfast at a Travelodge.

I recently stayed during the first week of December at the Holiday Inn on Tadcaster Road near York Racecourse. It wasn’t too badly priced for during the Christmas Market time and breakfast was very good too. A bit dated but very comfortable. A nice walk into the city centre over the racecourse and then by the river near Rowntree Park. Buses from just across the road into the city centre very regularly. I had a couple of good meals in the Cross Keys pub just opposite.

Both quite adequate places to stay but no comparison with Dean Court.

trebor79

Established Member
Ibis Budget are dreadful. I've stayed in 2 and both were awful.
One was a converted office building in Birmingham.
One a new build in Cardiff.

Made deliberately low rent in terms of decor by using woodchip wallpaper on the walls and ceilings.
No good for sharing with a friend unless you're happy to shower in front of them as for some bizzare reason the shower cubicle was in the bedroom.
Heating didn't work. Room smelled of damp.

And not even that cheap. Birmingham was £90, Cardiff £80.

Never again.

I booked a day room at a Radisson Edwardian and there was no hot water. Shower was "refreshing".

Easyhotel are all right. usually are very cheap, clean and comfy enough to get a good nights sleep. How Ibis should be doing it!

dgl

Established Member
No good for sharing with a friend unless you're happy to shower in front of them as for some bizzare reason the shower cubicle was in the bedroom.
Heating didn't work. Room smelled of damp.
Three of us shared a room at ibis budget Beaconsfield services and didn't realise about the stupid shower location, it really is a weird decision.

As for linen smelling of smoke, that clearly shows it has not been replaced, I understand they use the same linen supplier we use at work and whilst we might have some stuff that is still stained or damaged it's always technically clean and I've never had something supplied that smelled bad (and I've handeled a lot of linen!).

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes I'd agree that ibid budget rooms are not really suitable for sharing with friends.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Made deliberately low rent in terms of decor by using woodchip wallpaper on the walls and ceilings.

The decor is standard European. I don't recall it being woodchip, but rather stippled plasterwork. This is the norm in European apartments.

As for linen smelling of smoke, that clearly shows it has not been replaced, I understand they use the same linen supplier we use at work and whilst we might have some stuff that is still stained or damaged it's always technically clean and I've never had something supplied that smelled bad (and I've handeled a lot of linen!).

If someone smokes in a room likely everything smells of it, not just the actual linen. The smell had probably pervaded the bed base and duvet.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I avoid ibis budget if at all possible. And it's not because it's a budget option. I'm a big fan of easyHotel although a couple of their original London ones are deserving of an extremely wide berth, Victoria and Paddington and Kensington I'm looking at you here. The one in Luton is a bit Grimm as well

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I avoid ibis budget if at all possible. And it's not because it's a budget option. I'm a big fan of easyHotel although a couple of their original London ones are deserving of an extremely wide berth, Victoria and Paddington and Kensington I'm looking at you here. The one in Luton is a bit Grimm as well

Luton Travelodge probably ranks as one of the worst hotels I've stayed at (though was a necessary evil being directly opposite the hospital where I was to have an operation with an early check-in).

I'm led to believe Slough is similarly bad.

dgl

Established Member
If someone smokes in a room likely everything smells of it, not just the actual linen. The smell had probably pervaded the bed base and duvet.
Smoke is difficult to get out but we now have a powerful ozone generator to sort that.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Smoke is difficult to get out but we now have a powerful ozone generator to sort that.

I suspect a very-budget hotel chain probably lacks such a thing, at least in the individual hotels.

Yes I'd agree that ibid budget rooms are not really suitable for sharing with friends.

I couldn't remember what the layout was so Googled it - is it actually that much of an issue, and have those of you who are complaining about it never used a campsite shower? You leave your underwear on until you get out of the cubicle and hang it and the towel over the door, then partly dry and put it back on before leaving it.

It's not perfect, but it is a dirt-cheap budget brand, sitting below Travelodge and probably even easyHotel in the market. Basically somewhere near the "en suite private room in a YHA" level.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I really like the Hubs by Premier Inn for cheap hotels - in fact in some ways they're better than some more traditional hotels I've stayed in. They provide everything I need. Only exist in a handful of cities though.

I’ve stayed in the Travelodge on Micklegate in York but did pay a little bit extra for one of their super rooms. I would say that it was better than many Premier Inns I have stayed in but I never bother with breakfast at a Travelodge.

I recently stayed during the first week of December at the Holiday Inn on Tadcaster Road near York Racecourse. It wasn’t too badly priced for during the Christmas Market time and breakfast was very good too. A bit dated but very comfortable. A nice walk into the city centre over the racecourse and then by the river near Rowntree Park. Buses from just across the road into the city centre very regularly. I had a couple of good meals in the Cross Keys pub just opposite.

Both quite adequate places to stay but no comparison with Dean Court.
Apparently, the Travelodge has a nightclub(s) nearby and is noisy. The other hotel is too far out of the way for me.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I really like the Hubs by Premier Inn for cheap hotels - in fact in some ways they're better than some more traditional hotels I've stayed in. They provide everything I need. Only exist in a handful of cities though.

I've used one of those but I wouldn't again unless they now allow you to guarantee a room with an actual window (they have inside rooms too). It seems a bit odd not to let that be specified on the booking, even if it's an extra fiver or something to discourage too many people from selecting it.

I think overall the model for these is great - small and well-designed - but this is a red-line for me.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I've used one of those but I wouldn't again unless they now allow you to guarantee a room with an actual window (they have inside rooms too). It seems a bit odd not to let that be specified on the booking, even if it's an extra fiver or something to discourage too many people from selecting it.

I think overall the model for these is great - small and well-designed - but this is a red-line for me.
You can request a room with a window if you contact the hotel before check in (possibly at check in as well I'm not sure). I've stayed at the one on Rose Street in Edinburgh twice and did exactly that. I ended up with rooms with a lovely view overlooking the castle.

Actually, on my second stay when I first entered the room I found I'd been allocated a windowless room (even though I'd requested a room with a window). I went back down to reception, explained the situation and they moved me.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You can request a room with a window if you contact the hotel before check in (possibly at check in as well I'm not sure). I've stayed at the one on Rose Street in Edinburgh twice and did exactly that. I ended up with rooms with a lovely view overlooking the castle.

That's faff. The website should do it at the time of booking.

Actually, on my second stay when I first entered the room I found I'd been allocated a windowless room (even though I'd requested a room with a window). I went back down to reception, explained the situation and they moved me.

That's what happened to me the one time I stayed there too. The website isn't clear enough that windowless rooms exist. But if it was full a room swap wouldn't have been possible.

trebor79

Established Member
I suspect a very-budget hotel chain probably lacks such a thing, at least in the individual hotels.

I couldn't remember what the layout was so Googled it - is it actually that much of an issue, and have those of you who are complaining about it never used a campsite shower? You leave your underwear on until you get out of the cubicle and hang it and the towel over the door, then partly dry and put it back on before leaving it.

It's not perfect, but it is a dirt-cheap budget brand, sitting below Travelodge and probably even easyHotel in the market. Basically somewhere near the "en suite private room in a YHA" level.
It's completely stupid. The one in Birmingham had clear glass on the door, so your campsite plan wouldn't work.

ChrisC

Established Member
Apparently, the Travelodge has a nightclub(s) nearby and is noisy. The other hotel is too far out of the way for me.
I’d forgotten about that. I had a very quiet room on the back but I think Micklegate in York can get a bit noisy at night, so if you were allocated a room on the front it may not be so good.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I’d forgotten about that. I had a very quiet room on the back but I think Micklegate in York can get a bit noisy at night, so if you were allocated a room on the front it may not be so good.
I have passed through the area a few times so I'm aware it can be busy.

The other Travelodge (York Central) wants £223.97 for a no additions cancellable 3 night stay during the same week. That seems like a better location and apparently it's just been refurbished. I could give that a go I suppose. It's got an attached Wetherspoons (which I've actually been in, albeit 11 years ago), which would be handy for breakfast.

Still the issue of what do with luggage, as I arrive early and leave late. I do know of a luggage storage facility near the Minister, and I also have an app on my phone that has places that will do it too. Could do one of those I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.