• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How are you guys managing your weight in the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryo

This may sound like a silly question but since I started as a conductor the weight seems to have just piled on. My eating habits have not really changed but the sitting around in the job is a nightmare.

How do you lot manage it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scott118

get yourself out of the back cab lardy, and go check some tickets! you should be walking miles, not eating cake..

MCR247

Established Member
Another reason for DOO - would it lower obesity rates? :lol:

Gemz91

Cycle to work, 3.5 miles each direction for me. Not sure if it actually works but I'm not a fatty yet, and my £80 bike from ebay is cheaper then multiple months gym membership.

redbutton

I'm actually more active as a driver than I was at my office job. But I am prone to overeating by "grazing" on snacks throughout the day, so my main thing is to keep a running total of the calories I eat in a day. Don't forget to include beverages. Always round up if you're not sure.

By doing this, I can eat the same volume but make better choices. Or, if I feel like treating myself, I can have something calorific and compensate by cutting back for the rest of the day.

But the main thing is to be aware of how many calories everything has in it (or be able to estimate if you don't know for sure), and how much you can eat in a day before you start to gain weight. For an average healthy adult male, that's usually around 2400 kcal.

I eat station food more days than not, yet lost three stone last year.

332 > 444

I go gym 3 times a week but tryna get 5 times a week in as i'm getting into beast mode! Also i do cardio once a week with a friend/colleague.

The shift working does get to me though as after early shifts, if i don't bring my bag with me and pass by home to change, it usually mean i ain't leaving again! Earlies can mess me up when it comes to going gym as my lifting ratio is weakened.

If trying to have a strict eating regime, it gets thrown out the window when you have to go on break at a time you don't actually feel to eat.

At my place, walking up and down a train can be up to 3 miles a day or platform duties up to 6 miles.

bystander

I try to walk five miles a day, by getting off a station early on my train in to work and by heading out even for a 15 minute brisk walk when I'm on my PNB. All the food I eat at work is either fruit, veg or protein - this is the only thing that's worked for me as I like my food. I kind of use the principles of Red days on Slimming world. Basically very few bread pastry pasta carbs. It really works for me and I don't like going hungry and eat all the time. Hope that helps

Last edited:

redron

I try to stay away from snacking on rubbish food like, crisps and chocolate - I take things like, flavoured almonds instead.

I also watch the carb intake so will opt for meat salad/veg and stay away from bread, pasta potato where possible.

Also, as everyone says, regular exercise is important.

You need to be disciplined but once you get into a routine, it's pretty easy.

I've often wondered, can you stand up to drive a train or is it seated only?

scott118

some you can, however it all depends on the cab layout..the likes of 315/317's you can, however 378/379's you can't....

MartinG

Don't sit down - if you've done your revenue protection walk the train and engage with the passengers. Back cab is for putting your kit in and making announcements!

TDK

Established Member
I've often wondered, can you stand up to drive a train or is it seated only?

Signal sighting is designed for a seated driver so management will discourage driving whilst standing however there is a time when you may need to stand up to be comfortable but I find it most comfortable sitting.

Another random question, are you allowed to eat/drink on the job? I'd have thought it would make sense to allow both as that would help with concentration?

scott118

there's no reason why not. Although it wouldn't look professional, wafting through the carriages, with a half eaten sandwich, hanging out of your backside pocket..Eating and drinking is fundamental to concentration, so as long as it's done with respect, then yeah, why not. Everything in moderation, naturally..

tsr

Established Member
Staying hydrated is massively important for concentration and wellbeing, and even the mythically-dehydrating cup of coffee can help if that's what you feel like. My employer encourages keeping topped up with fluids on the go - and it is accepted that everybody in a front line role, from managers of all sorts to drivers to conductors etc., will need to have drink something in public from time to time throughout the day. However, eating most foods can detract from the role a little more, and does not boost the public image, so as an "unwritten rule", it is usually reserved to staff-only areas as a matter of courtesy for customers.

Sorry, i was meaning for the driving role specifically. I'd like to think its encouraged to keep blood sugar levels stable etc

amateur

On Moderation
. However, eating most foods can detract from the role a little more, and does not boost the public image, so as an "unwritten rule", it is usually reserved to staff-only areas as a matter of courtesy for customers.

i thought that was an "unwritten rule" in every workplace. e.g.in a shop, library, bar, box office, you name it.

Red18

Sorry, i was meaning for the driving role specifically. I'd like to think its encouraged to keep blood sugar levels stable etc

Yes, you can drink and eat snacks while driving. Drinking is actively encouraged during hot weather.
Obviously common sense applies so you can't be grabbing your flask from your bag or opening snacks etc.. when you should be concentrating, running on restrictive aspects / approaching a station stop etc..

A-driver

Established Member
Signal sighting is designed for a seated driver so management will discourage driving whilst standing however there is a time when you may need to stand up to be comfortable but I find it most comfortable sitting.

I disagree that it's discouraged, it's actually been encouraged at the TOCs I have worked for as its a great way of waking yourself up etc, I tend to stand up to drive more than I sit. Never noticed a difference regarding signal sighting either way.

As fora agony weight, I do it by ordering bigger trousers...

Status
Not open for further replies.