• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How close do you live to a railway line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
7-8mins walk from Batley station (though have to allow 10-12 due to the badly-designed pedestrian crossing on Bradford Road!<D). Can occasionally hear trains passing, but less so than all but one of my previous adresses.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EssexGonzo

About 350 metres as the crow flies from the Brewntwood-Shenfield cutting and a 10 minute walk to Shenfield station.

My first house after leaving home at the age of 18 was on London Road in Peterborough. I had the ECML 30 odd metres from my back garden in pre-electrification days. Mainly HSTs on full throttle leaving Peterborough station. Mind you, the POSH ground is opposite across a 4-lane dual carriageway and a late night KFC was next door so I soon got used to the racket.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Around 100 metres as the crow flies (across a field), by road to the station is around a 10 minute leisurely walk away.

I've got used to hearing the noise from a 159 accelerating away early morning as well as the passing freight/diverted voyagers

Last edited:

Polarbear

Established Member
Merseyrail runs at the back of my garden, though having lived here 45 years, I barely notice the trains.

EM2

Established Member
Since we moved, about 0.7 miles as the crow flies from HS1. The old flat, I could almost reach out of the bedroom window and touch the bridge that carries the GOBLin over the street.

Rick1984

Few yards, about fifty metres, from Ryde Tunnel, Isle of Wight. Occasionally here the kettle whistle

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Closest line/station is 2.4 miles (or a 18-20 minute bus ride) to the south. If the wind is blowing in the right direction, I can occasionally hear the horn of a GBRf 66 on the North Blyth Alcans lol

Tracked

Established Member
5 minute walk from Bentley (S. Yorks) station, but when I travel towards Doncaster from it I have to set off 20-odd minutes in advance to take into account the level crossing and lack of footbridge <(

Dai Corner

Established Member
Close enough to the SWML to hear the trains if I'm in the garden, but my nearest station inspired my forum name!

Welly

5 - 10 mins walk from my nearest station. I can only hear the trains passing when the wind blows in the right direction.

Pakenhamtrain

650m away. Being on a hill means I can see the trains quite clearly. About 15 minutes walk or about 3 by bus. Metro services every 20-30 minutes(A lot more in peaks) in each direction, V/Line trains every hour in each direction and a freight train 2 to 4 times a day.

On a still night you can hear the bells from the level crossing quite clearly and you can hear the freight power up the hill or use the dynamic braking.

anti-pacer

Established Member
I live approximately one and half miles from Richmond station but as nothing of interest runs through that part of SW London I don't miss anything.

However, my sister in law lives in Dent Dale and has a great view of trains running over Arten Gill viaduct. Lucky thing!

I was up there yesterday with a couple of friends. Stunning place!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In addition to a line behind my flat, which I can see more clearly now the trees are shedding leaves, I can also see the ECML Leeds-Doncaster line from my lounge, and the tops of the lampposts at Sandal & Agbrigg station. I forget it's there most of the time but every so often a train in the distance reminds me (like a 321/2 about 15 mins ago).

Non-rail related but I can also see the Emley Moor transmitter, and usually the one at Holme Moss too. Looks great at night with all the red lights on them. Occasionally if the weather isn't so clear you can either see just the bottom or top of Emley Moor, and sometimes none of it at all. Obviously in these conditions Holme Moss also isn't visible.

This time of year the line at back presents a view so clear I can see the people on the trains in close detail. I often wonder what they can see back. It's that close you could throw a tennis ball, not that I would.

Last edited:

ASharpe

200 yards, horizontal, and then I'd guess about 200 ft down to Thackley Tunnel on the airedale line.

Go back in time 50 odd years and the house next door to me was Thackley railway station.

fowler9

Established Member
If I jump over the fence at the end of my garden I am trespassing on the Liverpool spur of the West Coast Main Line between West Allerton and Mossley Hill. I can see the line from my bedroom window and have seen some cracking stuff over the last 30 years. Quadruple 20's hauling coal trains and double headed 56's. Railtours with all kinds hauling them. Pretty much any class you can imagine has been past at some point. Currently get whatever heads in to Liverpool from the Cheshire Lines or Crewe route. I started bashing locos properly in my early teens after getting home from school and seeing 37426 heading in to town with a train from Cardiff. Found out the return service stopped at West Allerton at the end of the road and that was that. I'd get home from school and dart in to town to get the Cardiff or the Preston that left at the same time and often raced it out of Lime Street at the same time. Got loads of none ETH stuff on those trains just on the travel pass I had for school. Every day of the week. Got a pair of 20's on a stopper in from Preston once, jumped on at Huyton. Happy days.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If I jump over the fence at the end of my garden I am trespassing on the Liverpool spur of the West Coast Main Line between West Allerton and Mossley Hill. I can see the line from my bedroom window and have seen some cracking stuff over the last 30 years. Quadruple 20's hauling coal trains and double headed 56's. Railtours with all kinds hauling them. Pretty much any class you can imagine has been past at some point. Currently get whatever heads in to Liverpool from the Cheshire Lines or Crewe route. I started bashing locos properly in my early teens after getting home from school and seeing 37426 heading in to town with a train from Cardiff. Found out the return service stopped at West Allerton at the end of the road and that was that. I'd get home from school and dart in to town to get the Cardiff or the Preston that left at the same time and often raced it out of Lime Street at the same time. Got loads of none ETH stuff on those trains just on the travel pass I had for school. Every day of the week. Got a pair of 20's on a stopper in from Preston once, jumped on at Huyton. Happy days.

Awesome mate :)

anti-pacer

Established Member
200 yards, horizontal, and then I'd guess about 200 ft down to Thackley Tunnel on the airedale line.

Go back in time 50 odd years and the house next door to me was Thackley railway station.

I grew up near there, well, until I was 7. My dad used to take me to the top of the tunnel to watch the trains.

Happy days indeed.

chris89

Established Member
For Girlfriends place, rather bit closer :P

0.4 Miles (8 Min) Walk to South Gyle Station or about 500ft to the Fife Circle.

Or if Tram about 0.6 Miles (13min walk) to Gyle Centre stop.

96tommy

I live next to Bethnal Green and my grandparents and 2 of my Aunties have houses which back onto the ECML in the York area. Was always jealous!

Last edited:

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I'm about 100 yards from the top end of Southsea Down Carriage sidings which is probably the closest I've lived to a railway line. At the other extreme I once lived in a country that had no railways at all!

dcsprior

According to Google maps I'm almost equidistant from two lines: the Borders Railway where the road crosses it near Shawfair Station & the South Sub where it crosses the Cameron Toll roundabout - the former is the nearest to see regular passenger service (2.3 miles) and the latter the nearest overall (2.2 miles)

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

miami

Established Member
300m as the crow flies. 1150m to the station as the crow flies, 1,591m as the person walks. Having the station within easy walking distance was an essential thing on the list when we bought. We did look at one house that was near another station, but not much nearer, and it was only 100m from the WCML at Sandbach, which was not a desirable position.

furnessvale

Established Member
Lived in a caravan in Hatfield goods yard for 8 months.

Lived in Ilford Lodge for 2 years.

Now living in Furness Vale with a view of Manchester Sheffield line (if it wasn't dark) as I type this.

davewolves

this was taken in the summer from the end of my garden

Attachments

• DSC_0022_zps5dc608d9.jpg
    DSC_0022_zps5dc608d9.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.