• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How common are dividing trains in the UK?

bhi156

I didn't even know these existed until a couple of months ago when I was walking through Waterloo station and heard the automated voice talking about how a train was going to divide and which carriages you should sit in for which destinations. I forgot about this till now, but it really intrigued me. Are they common anywhere else in the UK other than on the SWML? I've never heard of them from other operators across the country before.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I didn't even know these existed until a couple of months ago when I was walking through Waterloo station and heard the automated voice talking about how a train was going to divide and which carriages you should sit in for which destinations. I forgot about this till now, but it really intrigued me. Are they common anywhere else in the UK other than on the SWML? I've never heard of them from other operators across the country before.

It used to be a very common practice although is less so now with much more fixed length stock. Often where you get a substantial flow to one point, but not after or you have an awkward branch to serve or lots of smaller stops on a longer route.

Amongst operators in the south (you've already mentioned SWR) here's a few examples:
  • Southeastern used to regularly split at Ashford International for Ramsgate and Dover Priory but rarely do now
  • Southeastern can split at Faversham for Ramsgate and Dover Priory
  • Southern continue to split at Horsham for Southampton Central / Bognor Regis
  • Southern split at Eastbourne for one portion to continue to Ore
  • GWR occasionally (increasingly rare, but common only recently) split at Plymouth for Penzance

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They used to be far more common, even just 20 years ago.

There are still a few regular ones; up here in Scotland for instance all the Glasgow to Mallaig trains split at Crianlarich with an Oban portion and vice-versa.

There is also a Sundays only Inverness to Wick which detaches a Kyle portion at Dingwall. Historically all Far North trains used to have a Wick and Thurso portion until about 20 years ago, splitting at Georgemas Junction.

Going further back, many CrossCountry services up the WCML used to have a Glasgow and Edinburgh portion, splitting at Carstairs just as the Lowlander Caledonian Sleeper still does.

In Southern Territory, many mainline trains used to divide en route, either for seperate destinations or more commonly with the front portion going ahead fast or semi-fast and the rear portion calling at all or most stations behind it.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Yes.

Great Western Intercity Express services to Carmarthen often drop the front 5 coaches at Swansea and reverse only the rear (on arrival) 5 to continue west. (LNER often do the same for Harrogate at Leeds) Some Penzance services also drop 5 at Plymouth.

Transport for Wales services from Birmingham International to Aberystwyth typically convey a portion to Pwllheli detaching at Machynlleth, and it is common for coaches heading West to be dropped at Cardiff or Swansea. Some Milford & Pembroke services also run.

Southern services to Portsmouth Hbr from Victoria drop a portion for Bognor at Horsham, as do services to Southampton. Those to Ore often drop a portion at Eastbourne and these services used to split off with a Littlehampton service too.

London Northwestern used to split off portions for Rugeley Trent Valley off of London Birmingham services until recently.

Avanti services to Shrewsbury run with 10 coaches to Birmingham where they drop 5.

Etc etc

Trainguy34

I know that it is, at least in my neck of the woods, mainly common during the peaks where instead of having an Hourly 8 car to/from London Victoria, the trains run as 8 car to Faversham half hourly and split into two giving each branch (Ramsgate and Dover Priory) an, albeit shorter train, half hourly service.

It also happens on the Cally Sleeper (Can't remember the locations / times)

Hope this Helps!

Acfb

There are plenty of examples. I think trains used to split at Preston or Lancaster as well to Barrow/Windermere as well, possibly with TPE?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It’s not uncommon on London Waterloo to Exeter services for there two be two splits en route, with the initial 8/9-carriage service dropping some at Salisbury and another set at Yeovil Junction, leaving the final 3 carriages to proceed to Exeter.

trebor79

Established Member
Kings Cross to Cambridge and some then have a portion forward to Ely/Kings Lynn and vice versa.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
TfW regularly divides trains on all their long-distance routes, often at Shrewsbury or Chester, or Cardiff/Swansea.
Sometimes this is for different destinations, but mostly it is to strengthen trains on the busy sections of route.
Avanti will drop the rear unit of a double Voyager (soon to be 805s) at Crewe or Chester, with just one unit continuing to Holyhead.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Believe there's still the occasional late evening (Southern) working from London Victoria, that splits at Haywards Heath, with the front portion continuing to Brighton/Worthing and the rear portion to Eastbourne. Possibly Friday nights / Saturday nights only.

WizCastro197

Established Member
London Victoria to Reigate/Gatwick Airport splits at Redhill. Although this is only in the peaks.

Believe there's still the occasional late evening (Southern) working from London Victoria, that splits at Haywards Heath, with the front portion continuing to Brighton/Worthing and the rear portion to Eastbourne. Possibly Friday nights / Saturday nights only.
The 2216 and the 2246 from Victoria every day do this. On Friday and Saturday nights, you additionally have the 0002. With regards to the 0002, it sometimes divides at Brighton instead of Haywards Heath, should the line towards Lewes be shut as only the front 4 coaches can continue towards Worthing. On Saturday mornings, the 0452 from Portsmouth Harbour joins 0520 from Eastbourne at Haywards Heath. Finally, on Sunday mornings, the 0705 from Littlehampton joins the 0747 from Brighton at Haywards Heath before travelling to London.

Railcar

The 'Cats and Tats' from London Bridge divide at Purley with 4 cars going to Caterham and 4 to Tattenham Corner.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The 2216 and the 2246 from Victoria every day do this.
Noted what you say, couldn't find that these particular two trains still split, not this week anyway (but, after re-checking, next week and thereafter, yes, they do again).

snowball

Established Member
In the 1970s I sometimes travelled on a train that had three portions: Liverpool-Glasgow, Manchester-Glasgow and Manchester-Edinburgh. Combined at Preston and divided at Carstairs.

On Moderation
...which is a 3-way split! This must be the only example of a 3-way split in the UK surely?
Used to be one at Salisbury, with three cars forward to Exeter, three to Bristol and three terminate.

DelW

Established Member
The TfW services from Birmingham International that divide at Machynlleth into Aberystwyth and Pwllheli portions (mentioned in post 4), are made more confusing by the reversal at Shrewsbury. Thus the front two coaches when boarding east of Shrewsbury become the rear two coaches by the time the train is divided. Fortunately there is plenty of time for passengers to change units if necessary between Shrewsbury and Mach.

plugwash

Established Member
To thoroughly confuse people and computers, the liverpool to norwich service reverses at sheffield, often splits at nottingham and then reverses again at ely.

I've seen a situation where at picadilly the announcements said people should sit in one half of the train while the electronic displays said they should sit in the other¬