• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How could battery powered trains (such as Class 230) be heated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Electric Heat Pumps plus waste heat from the battery seem more appropriate nowadays. Any extra battery weight needed to support the heat pump is, I'd suggest, going to be less than the equivalent bricks. With the added benefit of being able to be used for a cooling system (if it's warm) and for traction if its neither warm nor cold.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Electric Heat Pumps plus waste heat from the battery seem more appropriate nowadays. Any extra battery weight needed to support the heat pump is, I'd suggest, going to be less than the equivalent bricks. With the added benefit of being able to be used for a cooling system (if it's warm) and for traction if its neither warm nor cold.
That would be the answer I'd expect them to use - lightweight equipment and very energy efficient. As long as temperatures don't fall below -10°C, they work very well indeed and would also double as air conditioning. The issues really are, as suggested, the cost of leasing battery packs and the amount of time spent charging, even with fast charging solutions.

big all

On Moderation
yes battery cooling transferred internally if required or externally if not required would seem the most efficient use providing the added mechanism or channeling are cost effective or practical
sometimes micromanaging things add extra costs extra failure possibilities far in excess off any benefits

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is that enough for a whole carriage? If so then it isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things.

I doubt 1.5kW would be enough for a whole carriage (it's the kind of thing you'd have in a bedroom or hallway), but even if you needed a few of them it's still not huge compared with a crush-load of passengers.

Of course, what you're doing is maintaining temperature, so you don't need as much as to heat up from freezing or below. So you could combine storage heating with direct heating when "on the juice".

That said, using fossil fuel (i.e. diesel heaters or similar) solely to heat doesn't exactly use loads of it and is quite efficient when compared to using it to move something, hence why we still mostly use gas at home (and it won't be on at all for half the year). It does just seem oddly amusing to have an electric bus with a diesel heater.

samuelmorris

Established Member
1.5kW isn't a lot - I believe car heaters are in the 3-6kW range. Even a 230 vehicle should be expected to have sufficient heat for 10 times that volume.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think the heating required for trains is somewhere around 20kW per coach (think 20 single bar electric fires). However the amount of heat storage depends on how long it needs to be stored as well as how much heat output is required - a domestic heater will need to provide heat for a whole day but one on a battery train would only need endurance similar to that of the traction batteries.

According to the below link bricks have a specific heat capacity of 0.9kJ/kg/K. As a very ball park calculation:
20kW for 1hr would be 72000kJ
If the storage heaters can cool by 10K (or 10degC), this would need 8 tonnes of bricks, which sounds quite significant. Always assuming I haven't lost a factor of 10 somewhere!

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-solids-d_154.html

Probably better to look for something that melts at about 30degC, as the phase change releases more heat.

krus_aragon

Established Member
1.5kW isn't a lot - I believe car heaters are in the 3-6kW range. Even a 230 vehicle should be expected to have sufficient heat for 10 times that volume.
Car heaters are, of course, designed to heat a car up from cold as quickly as possible on a winter's day.

Does anyone actually know the heating system they have chosen for this unit? The easiest thing to do is to wait until it is in service and then see what system they are using

Harpers Tate

Established Member
My (electric) car's heater consumes about 0.5kW and warms the (obviously relatively much much smaller) interior to very hot, if I want it to, very quickly. Heat Pump technology is very, very efficient - I believe the statistic is that the heat output is 4x the electrical input; counter-intuitive, I know, but there it is. No need for bricks.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
My (electric) car's heater consumes about 0.5kW and warms the (obviously relatively much much smaller) interior to very hot, if I want it to, very quickly. Heat Pump technology is very, very efficient - I believe the statistic is that the heat output is 4x the electrical input; counter-intuitive, I know, but there it is. No need for bricks.

An air source heat pump is a very interesting idea. I wonder how easy it would be to apply that to a train.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Just one point, that 0.5kW is the electrical draw. When being compared with a storage heater I believe you'll need to state the actual heat output, which is usually 4-5 times the electrical draw. I definitely feel it's the right solution for a battery unit though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Just one point, that 0.5kW is the electrical draw. When being compared with a storage heater I believe you'll need to state the actual heat output, which is usually 4-5 times the electrical draw. I definitely feel it's the right solution for a battery unit though.

All electric heaters are basically 100% efficient. The heat output is (give or take a small "on" light, a slight red glow of the element and maybe a quiet buzz) exactly the same as the power input. The output cannot be more than the input in kWh, though I suppose a storage heater can output it quicker (or slower) than it was inputted, unlike a regular one, though normally you want slower output as otherwise you'll find your house rather cold for half the day (you want a charge for about 7 hours then output for about 17 - hence "Economy 7").

samuelmorris

Established Member
All electric heaters are basically 100% efficient. The heat output is (give or take a small "on" light, a slight red glow of the element and maybe a quiet buzz) exactly the same as the power input. The output cannot be more than the input in kWh, though I suppose a storage heater can output it quicker (or slower) than it was inputted, unlike a regular one, though normally you want slower output as otherwise you'll find your house rather cold for half the day (you want a charge for about 7 hours then output for about 17 - hence "Economy 7").

The volume of air you'd have to heat on a train though, I wouldn't have thought you could store sufficient heat - yes the power requirement drops off considerably once the vehicle is up to temperature but I think you'd still need a fairly hefty amount of power to be able to heat the area in a reasonable amount of time. Using an online A/C calculator for the rough dimensions of a 230 carriage based on 40 occupants provides a 6.2kW rating without occupants. Given A/C is normally designed with a slightly higher heating rating than cooling, let's say 7.5kW. That'd be quite a hit on battery life with electric heating whereas with a heat pump you'd probably get away with a 1.5-2kW load per vehicle.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You wouldn't heat from zero using the battery or bricks, you'd do that while on the 25kV. I do think the heat pump idea is interesting though. As air source heat pumps require large radiators, perhaps this could be underfloor or overhead rather than the annoying bodyside conduits?

samuelmorris

Established Member
Indeed, but part of the reason I use the A/C figures is they're continuous. The more people onboard of course, the lower the heat requirement. The space requirement for the radiator could be a little problematic to fit in among the battery packs, but they shouldn't need be too large, large cars have A/C systems rated for 5kW+ and their radiators aren't too large.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I thought an *air* source unit was basically like a slightly big aircon unit so could be fitted in the roof space like an actual aircon unit.
To do that you would need to lower the ceiling though, as I don't imagine there'd be much clearance above the existing roofs within the UK loading gauge.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To do that you would need to lower the ceiling though, as I don't imagine there'd be much clearance above the existing roofs within the UK loading gauge.

Most if not all third generation EMU and DMU stock has either one or two aircon units per coach mounted in the roof. So yes, it is feasible.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Of course, but they were built from the outset to have such fitted. At the risk of joining the 'it's an old tube train' brigade, you can't just slap one on top of a unit that never had one fitted, or even provision for one, to begin with. Some Renatus-style re-engineering of the ceiling inside would need to be done. It's certainly doable, but it isn't simple or cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.