• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How difficult is it to arrive or leave at all timetabled platforms. 5 year project to achieve this.

All platforms

Day 12: Tuesday 13/04/2021 - Coasts & Peaks Rover £55.40 with senior railcard - Valid after 9.00am weekdays Day 1 of 4. CP free at Shotton. CP £5.00 Brook St Chester.
Total time 389 mins - Time on trains 101 mins and time waiting 288 mins. Stations completed today 3. Total completed 116.

This did not go well. My plan to do do some of the North Wales Coast today was scuppered by cancellations and rammed trains as travel was once again unrestricted. Those caravans in that part of the world were finding customers again. My chosen base of Shotton had to be abandoned after the first foray into Chester and back because of a series of cancellations, and that meant a near 3 hour wait if i was to continue. I was already not in the best of moods as i had previously contrived to leave home without my tickets and railcard but after a quick ponder i decided to wing the day and base myself in Chester.

In my experience Chester is prone to more platform alterations than perhaps anywhere else i have come across and especially when it comes to a and b variants. RTT can often show a prediction of a or b but when it shows actuals it never includes the a or b. More on that on day 13.

Once in Chester a quick look at the boards showed an imminent departure to Crewe so boarded with the expectation of doing something local there. Loads of possibilities surely. I had time on the train to work out a plan and so decided to do the 3 LNW stations between Crewe and Runcorn. What i neglected to check was the wait time in Crewe but the 96 mins layover gave me ample time to understand the layout of the station in its sprawling 12 platform glory. This would stand me in good stead later on in my journey where tight turnaround times can intrude on a leisurely day.

First stop Acton Bridge which was plagued by spotters in various clusters and so nowhere to sit and wait for the southbound train. I half expected the owner of the station house to have called the transport police as there was much mention of this in some posts i had come across here. No masks on the platform you see which was a real thing back then. Anyway they didn't intrude so i turned to speculating why there was a platform 1 and did it get any trains. Subsequently i have worked out that if the Avanti from Scotland is around the 5-7 min late mark they will put the LNW train from Liverpool into p1 not p2 to allow the express to thunder through unimpeded. So whilst technically i have completed Acton Bridge because there are no timetabled p1 offerings i think a punt at trying for it may be on the cards given the 6 or 7 times a week it can occur. I have 2 theories as to how to do this and will report back in due course.

Winsford and Hartford were then ticked off and then back to Crewe and Chester. A lot of work today for very little reward. I will have to try harder.

ShottonDepart
9.15​
*****AWplatform notstationsplatforms
ChesterArrive
9.24​
P3bAWwait 26mtimetabledcompletedcompleted
ChesterDepart
9.50​
P3bAWat completed
ShottonArrive
9.58​
*****AWstations
Drive to and waitn/a
0.00​
n/an/await 57m
ChesterDepart
10.55​
*****AW
CreweArrive
11.16​
P9AWwait 96m
CreweDepart
12.53​
P11LM
Acton BridgeArrive
13.09​
P3LMwait 26m
Acton BridgeDepart
13.35​
P2LMP1
1​
2​
WinsfordArrive
13.44​
P1LMwait 23m
WinsfordDepart
14.07​
P1LM
1​
2​
HartfordArrive
14.11​
P2LMwait 25m
HartfordDepart
14.36​
P1LM
1​
2​
CreweArrive
14.48​
P5LMwait 35m
CreweDepart
15.23​
P10AW
ChesterArrive
15.44​
*****AWto home

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All platforms

It’s a noble challenge. How are you going to manage stations like Clifton? One train a day in each direction!
Not sure i always think its noble standing around for hours on some remote platform but hey it keeps me going.

Clifton and others like it (Ardwick for example) have to be done by walking to/from another station for it to count - unless a reasonable wait for the return train is possible. Not so here of course. The truly ironic thing here is that my commute from Bromley Cross for over 12 year always stopped at Clifton and i only ever saw 1 person get off in all that time, more often than not staring bleary eyed out of the windows. It was the first train of the day and i often wondered why it stopped at all (back when i knew very little of how the network actually worked).

Anyway i did scope this out last year just to make sure there were no impossible walks out on the network and its a just about acceptable 80 min walk to/from Salford Crescent it turns out. Tamworth to Polesworth is 90 mins and if i can do that (which i have) i should be OK here too. Charlbury to Ascott-under-Wychwood took about 85 mins but seemed hillier.

The prize however will go to the Shippea Hill to/from Littleport trek, which google promises me will take 1 hr 51 mins of enforced enjoyment

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 13: Wednesday 14/04/2021 - Coasts & Peaks Rover £55.40 with senior railcard - Valid after 9.00am Weekdays. Day 2 of 4. CP £3 at Warrington Central
Total time 166 mins - Time on trains 89 mins and time waiting 77 mins. Stations completed today 1. Total completed 117.

It goes from bad to worse. Unexpected commitments have come up for the rest of the week and i only have a window of opportunity that starts mid afternoon today. Can i do anything worthwhile? umm..

I am loathe to waste my railcard so decide to see if i can tick off some Chester platforms. Its only 30 mins or so from Bank Quay so i take the plunge. I never really got to grips with this station. The signage for the p2 variants never seemed to line up with where trains actually stood and these in turn didn't always line up with what the info boards were saying - or what RTT was predicting. The dispatchers seemed to be quite busy so never had an opportunity to see if i could unpick this. Despite all this i was confident that i had 2 new offerings for my spreadsheet and the trip to Flint was a bonus as it wasn't rammed. Mini excursion completed. Something different for next time.

Warrington Bank QuayDepart
14.31​
*****AWstationsplatforms
ChesterArrive
15.05​
P4aAWwait 21mcompletedcompleted
ChesterDepart
15.26​
P2AWat completed
FlintArrive
15.39​
P2AWwait 23mstations
FlintDepart
16.02​
P1AW
1​
2​
ChesterArrive
16.17​
P2AWwait 33m
ChesterDepart
16.50​
P7aAW
Warrington Bank QuayArrive
17.17​
*****AW

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 14: Saturday 17/04/2021 - Coats & Peaks Rover £55.40 with senior railcard - Valid all day Weekends. Day 3 of 4. CP free Spinners Lane Poynton
Total time 692 mins - Time on trains 256 mins and time waiting 436 mins. Stations completed today 6. Total completed 123.

I remember Poynton station having quite a few points of interest to it with a lot of the old white paint on a jet black background signage including benches, offices as well as the more expected platform and station signs. Old signs and mini trucks holding garden foliage too. There was even a L&NWRyCo boundary post in evidence. Big tick for all of this.

Awkward patform of the day was Macclesfield p3 which at the time only had a super early and super late offering so early it was. 6.17am seemed to be very early for my second train of the day but the rest should be straight forward shuttling back and to in quick time, and getting back to Macclesfield late morning. All went to plan and the XC to Stafford was next. This was my only experience of a covid argument on any train so far. The young lady in question was clearly ill, clearly coughing constantly and shuffling her mask around the table as she sagged there. Time to move to another carriage whilst the other passengers let fly. Thats the last time i will mention the c word.

Stafford is a very functional station and at the time the function of p6 was a mystery. The dispatchers were happy to talk and i was left with the distinct impression that p6a and p6b were a legacy of quite some years ago with the Walsall train now terminating at Rugeley Trent Valley. I forget the other now. Certainly nothing was timetabled at that time but it was still a reduced service then so maybe it would change. It did on day 24.

The day had warmed up by now and longish waits at Tamworth, Rugeley Trent Valley and Lichfield Trent Valley found me trying to seek shade where little was to be found. I do remember a half decent chippy at Tamworth though.

I had occasion to visit London a few years sao and found the early Crewe train could get me there for 9.00am for about £19 if bought far enough in advance. Boy was that an early start and a lot of slow speed trundling till we reached Northampton when the train filled with commuters and we were then full speed into London. I remember the Trent Valley stations were a bit of a surprise as i had never knew they existed with the express trains from Manchester calling at Stafford only if you were lucky. This particular LNW route no longer exists i understand. I digress.

The LNW Lichfield to Stafford didn't depart for probably 25 mins due to a medical emergency and once the ambulance had departed we were diverted onto the Hixon line and so missing Stafford much to the consternation of a couple of teenagers down the carriage. The end of the world was apparently nigh. Under my all lines policy i still have to do the Hixon line south but this will be an easy one to do of course. Hello Avanti. A straightforward journey to Poynton and a 5.30 finish. An excellent day out with lots of interest.

PoyntonDepart
5.59​
*****NTstationsplatforms
MacclesfieldArrive
6.09​
P2NTwait 8mcompletedcompleted
MacclesfieldDepart
6.17​
P3NTat completed
PoyntonArrive
6.27​
P2NTwait 30mstations
PoyntonDepart
6.57​
P1NT
1​
2​
PrestburyArrive
7.04​
NTwait 24m
PrestburyDepart
7.24​
NT
1​
2​
Cheadle HulmeArrive
7.35​
NTwait 25m
Cheadle HulmeDepart
8.00​
P3NT
Adlington (Cheshire)Arrive
8.08​
P4NTwait 22m
Adlington (Cheshire)Depart
8.30​
NT
1​
2​
BramhallArrive
8.37​
NTwait 27m
BramhallDepart
9.04​
NT
1​
2​
Stoke-on-TrentArrive
9.38​
P3NTwait 18m
Stoke-on-TrentDepart
9.56​
P3NT
CongletonArrive
10.08​
NTwait 22m
CongletonDepart
10.30​
NT
1​
2​
KidsgroveArrive
10.36​
P1NTwait 28m
KidsgroveDepart
11.04​
P2NT
MacclesfieldArrive
11.19​
P1NTwait 30m
1​
3​
MacclesfieldDepart
11.49​
P2XC
StaffordArrive
12.23​
P4XCwait 32m
StaffordDepart
12.55​
P1LM
TamworthArrive
13.17​
P2LMwait 56m
TamworthDepart
14.13​
P1LM
Rugeley Trent ValleyArrive
14.26​
P2LMwait 39m
Rugeley Trent ValleyDepart
15.05​
P3LM
Lichfield Trent ValleyArrive
15.11​
P2LMwait 42m
Lichfield Trent ValleyDepart
15.53​
P1LM
Stoke-on-TrentArrive
16.23​
P2LMwait 33m
Stoke-on-TrentDepart
16.56​
P3NT
PoyntonArrive
17.31​
*****NT

Last edited:

All platforms

Stockport has a bay that only sees one timetabled passenger call per week.
I am looking forward to the Denton Flyer. I don't think the bay at the other end (Stalybridge) sees much more action either.

I did try to do this line about 10 years ago when i first heard of it. Back then it was a one way only Friday afternoon offering. There were quite a few people (maybe 10) waiting to catch it but it was cancelled. Can't wait to do this actually.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Very entertaining, but I should try to do it with less driving, using overnight stays instead. Are people (rail staff?) recognising you?

I wonder if this could be done in other countries, perhaps ones with even more railway.

I did something similar once, cycled every day of the year (365/365).

All platforms

Very entertaining, but I should try to do it with less driving, using overnight stays instead. Are people (rail staff?) recognising you?

I wonder if this could be done in other countries, perhaps ones with even more railway.

I did something similar once, cycled every day of the year (365/365).
If there was just me to consider i would be more hardcore about the time spent on trains and so far what you have seen is just the start of the journey. I know i will have to spend many many days away from home as i venture further from my home base. For now i am keeping those to an absolute minimum as its not fair on my partner and we both have other responsibilities too. I think i can do most of Wales without too many overnighters but that does increase the driving which to be fair i dont mind.

North of Glasgow and Edinburgh, as well as pretty much anywhere south of an imaginary line through Bristol however, will mean much hard bargaining to come. East Anglia is also problematic but i do/will ride the iron house quite hard when i am overnighting. My biggest problem may be the 200 or so stations that ring outer London that do not fall into any Rover/Ranger arrangements. Will have to be an all lines rover for a week or two to knock these out. That will be a tough one to sell.

Not really been recognised - or indeed questioned what the heck i am doing, loitering as i have to do sometimes. Perhaps a few times on the Heart of Wales where the same crew operate Shrewsbury to Llanwrtyd/Llandrindod and back. "See you in 90 minutes" i might cry as i get off at some desolate platform and always a friendly face when they return. Otherwise you may be surprised as to how little i encounter the same guard on the same day. Also a little surprised to see that some guards have never seen a Rover/Ranger ticket before. "How does that work?" is the most common question i get asked... or they will study it intently for 10 seconds and then shrug and move on. This whole project would be absolutely impossible without these kinds of tickets.

I am sure it can be done in most other countries. Germany and France spring to mind as local largish ones and i wouldn't mind having a crack in France if i ever find myself there for an extended period. But is there the same kind of open access data that would allow semi efficient planning. Not sure.

In my teens i was a keen cyclist and didn't think too hard of doing 100 miles in a day, but only at the weekends as i was still at school. I'm afraid the lure of the car put paid to those extended journeys subsequently. Thinking about it i was kinda ticking off places within 50 miles of my home back then even.

As you can see i have plenty time of my hands these days and still do the odd 10/20k spin now and again.

All platforms

Day 15: Tuesday 20/04/2021 - Coast & Peaks Rover £55.40 with senior railcard - Valid after 9.00am Weekdays. Day 4 of 4. Single Kidsgrove to Crewe £3.60 CP free The Avenue Kidsgrove.
Total time 539 mins - Time on trains 281 mins and timne waiting 258 mins. Stations completed today 8. Total completed 131.

A new day a new line. A journey to Derby and back in 14 different slices. Kidsgrove seemed to be a good starting place but a pre 9am start was necessary to ensure all stations were completed on time. Kidsgrove station has nothing much to commend it but i did find an about to beome overgrown rockery type garden above Platform 3 which whiled away all of 60 seconds. Very pleasant though. Had time to take a wander over to the canal too which was worthwhile and held my interest a bit longer.

Lots of plaques up at Alsager advertising they had received 8 best kept stations awards in the recent past. Come to think of it Helsby had loads of these too. Volunteer gardeners were out in force when i was there and it all looked rather splendid.

Longport was ticked off not much later and then off to Uttoxeter where you got a good view of the racecourse from the overbridge. A long wait at Tutbury & Hatton gave me time to hike up to the castle which was a new one for me and also the church just below it which seemed enormous considering the size of the village. Clearly important in the past though as it had a very ornate main door surround. I think there was a Nescafe factory next to the station too.

A brief foray into Derby and back and on to the awkward station of the day at Peartree. I understand now it had previous issues with vandalism and the station is actually electronically locked which is fine walking out of the station but crossing the public bridge and entering the other side was an interesting experience. Good job it was a 28 mins wait or i would have missed the return. At the time of my visit the intercom to some central control place wasn't working or being answered. There was a keypad to enter a code but what was it? There was someone already on the platform but it was a bit of a hike away down the path and i could hear music bleeding from his headphones so understably my shouts fell on deaf ears. In the end i phoned East Midlands helpdesk and eventually after a bit of back and forth i was give a code with 5 mins to spare. Be warned... Another half hour found me back at Kidsgrove and so to home by 7pm

KidsgroveDepart
8.45​
*****EMstationsplatforms
CreweArrive
9.01​
P3EMwait 7mcompletedcompleted
CreweDepart
9.08​
P3EMat completed
KidsgroveArrive
9.21​
P3EMwait 1mstations
KidsgroveDepart
9.22​
P4LM
1​
4​
AlsagerArrive
9.26​
P1LMwait 41m
AlsagerDepart
10.09​
P2LM
1​
2​
KidsgroveArrive
10.12​
P3LMwait 8m
KidsgroveDepart
10.20​
P3EM
LongportArrive
10.26​
P1EMwait 20m
LongportDepart
10.46​
P2EM
1​
2​
KidsgroveArrive
10.52​
P4EMwait 29m
KidsgroveDepart
11.21​
P3EM
UttoxeterArrive
11.56​
P1EMwait 11m
UttoxeterDepart
12.07​
P2EM
1​
2​
LongtonArrive
12.27​
P2EMwait 11m
LongtonDepart
12.38​
P1EM
1​
2​
Tutbury & HattonArrive
13.06​
P1EMwait 51m
Tutbury & HattonDepart
13.57​
P2EM
1​
2​
Blythe BridgeArrive
14.21​
P2EMwait 24m
Blythe BridgeDepart
14.45​
P1EM
1​
2​
DerbyArrive
15.26​
P3bEMwait 16m
DerbyDepart
15.42​
P3bEM
Tutbury & HattonArrive
15.56​
P2EMwait 11m
Tutbury & HattonDepart
16.07​
P1EM
PeartreeArrive
16.18​
EMwait 28m
PeartreeDepart
16.46​
EM
1​
2​
KidsgroveArrive
17.44​
*****EM

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm glad to read in your reply to someone else that you still manage to fit in a cycle ride now and again, but wow fair play to you for doing 100 mile rides in the past. I couldn't do that! My longest was in September 2021, and that 89 mile ride (in a heatwave, I must add!) in Norfolk was an absolute beast. I hope to achieve a 100 mile in 2022, although not until we have warmer weather and longer hours of daylight!

Reading your tales of despair in North Wales, I had to feel sorry for you there. The frustration must have been huge!

As for your other half, I now see why you aim to be back from your travels by a certain time. That makes sense, it definitely isn't fair on them. Perhaps invite them to join you on some of the overnight adventures? Especially those in an area of interest, or at least where they can enjoy a day out doing something they like or whatever.

Duly noted that too about Peartree, I don't do stations these days (I used to quite a lot, but stopped for reasons I can't remember), but Peartree is an interesting oddity that I'd like to get done as it is the only station I haven't visited on the mainline between Sheffield and Plymouth. I'll make sure to allow a boatload of time between trains, or at the least make sure I walk back to Derby or something!

All platforms

Day 16: Thursday 22/04/2021 - West Midlands Day Ranger £19.00 with a senior railcard - Valid after 9.00am on Weekdays. CP free at Sandwell & Dudley
Total time today 496 mins - Time on trains 225 mins and time waiting 271 mins. Stations completed today 16. Total completed 147.

The impetus today was to do the line up to Lichfield Trent Valley taking in Perry Barr which was due to close for a considerable period for upgrades. Indeed it is still closed and not due to re-open till May 2022. Sandwell & Dudley was chosen as the start/finish point because its close to the Motorway, its free and its within striking distance of home.

A straight forward day with no issues at all and very acceptable waits between trains though i did miss a possible connection at Shenstone due to a slightly late incoming and then the long hike up round and over to the other platform. Probably the only train i have missed by a second or too. No matter. Nothing really stands out for today, although Perry Barr had a few moments where the local tearaways were openly smoking some powerful stuff. Not really a wait there thankfully and off to Witton and then Hatton before returning to Sandwell & Dudley. It would be a while before i do a weekday based there again, because the crawl to the motorway took far longer than i thought. Hate that kinda stuff. In fact i do try and plan my journeys to avoid the worst of any commuting times and the early morning starts are nearly always a joy with little or no traffic about.

This line was quick and efficient, the trains more than adequate and a world away from what i was used to. Fairplay to West Midlands here.

Sandwell & DudleyDepart
9.02​
*****LM
Birmingham New StreetArrive
9.14​
P2aLMwait 11m
Birmingham New StreetDepart
9.25​
P8aWM
Lichfield CityArrive
10.01​
P1WMwait 23m
Lichfield CityDepart
10.24​
P2WM
1​
2​
Butlers LaneArrive
10.35​
P1WMwait 16m
Butlers LaneDepart
10.51​
P2WM
1​
2​
ShenstoneArrive
10.57​
P1WMwait 32m
ShenstoneDepart
11.29​
P2WM
1​
2​
Blake StreetArrive
11.33​
P1WMwait 20m
Blake StreetDepart
11.53​
P2WM
1​
2​
Lichfield Trent ValleyArrive
12.06​
P3WMwait 14m
Lichfield Trent ValleyDepart
12.20​
P3WM
1​
3​
Sutton ColdfieldArrive
12.40​
P2WMwait 4m
Sutton ColdfieldDepart
12.44​
P1WM
1​
2​
Four OaksArrive
12.46​
P1WMwait 21m
Four OaksDepart
13.07​
P2WM
Gravelly HillArrive
13.20​
P2WMwait 5m
Gravelly HillDepart
13.25​
P1WM
1​
2​
Four OaksArrive
13.41​
P3WMwait 5m
Four OaksDepart
13.46​
P3WM
1​
3​
ErdingtonArrive
13.56​
P2WMwait 3m
ErdingtonDepart
13.59​
P1WM
1​
2​
Wylde GreenArrive
14.03​
P1WMwait 11m
Wylde GreenDepart
14.14​
P2WM
1​
2​
AstonArrive
14.24​
P2WMwait 7m
AstonDepart
14.31​
P1WM
1​
2​
Chester RoadArrive
14.38​
P1WMwait 16m
Chester RoadDepart
14.54​
P2WM
1​
2​
DuddestonArrive
15.05​
P1WMwait 26m
DuddestonDepart
15.31​
P2WM
1​
2​
Perry BarrArrive
15.38​
P2WMwait 7m
Perry BarrDepart
15.45​
P1WM
1​
2​
WittonArrive
15.47​
P1WMwait 20m
WittonDepart
16.07​
P2WM
1​
2​
HamsteadArrive
16.11​
P2WMwait 30m
HamsteadDepart
16.41​
P1WM
1​
2​
Sandwell & DudleyArrive
17.18​
*****WM

Last edited:

All platforms

And may be difficult on lines like the Far North line to Wick/Thurso
Yup. 6 to 7 hours just to get to Inverness and then another 2 hours plus to get to Georgemas Junction which is the best place to get the 6 northernmost stations in 10 hours or so.

You can probably do the whole of the line in 4 days and another 2 for the Kyle of Lochalsh line although the really awkward one is Kyle p2 which means an additional run on a sunday. Not a hardship considering the beauty of the line i'm told.

All platforms

I'm glad to read in your reply to someone else that you still manage to fit in a cycle ride now and again, but wow fair play to you for doing 100 mile rides in the past. I couldn't do that! My longest was in September 2021, and that 89 mile ride (in a heatwave, I must add!) in Norfolk was an absolute beast. I hope to achieve a 100 mile in 2022, although not until we have warmer weather and longer hours of daylight!

Reading your tales of despair in North Wales, I had to feel sorry for you there. The frustration must have been huge!

As for your other half, I now see why you aim to be back from your travels by a certain time. That makes sense, it definitely isn't fair on them. Perhaps invite them to join you on some of the overnight adventures? Especially those in an area of interest, or at least where they can enjoy a day out doing something they like or whatever.

Duly noted that too about Peartree, I don't do stations these days (I used to quite a lot, but stopped for reasons I can't remember), but Peartree is an interesting oddity that I'd like to get done as it is the only station I haven't visited on the mainline between Sheffield and Plymouth. I'll make sure to allow a boatload of time between trains, or at the least make sure I walk back to Derby or something!
To be fair i was probably 15 or 16 at the time and on the bike every weekend for long periods certainly hones the muscles. No longer in evidence sadly. I have done some pennines work in the winter but its not fun so the long runs in the warmer weather were much preferred. Good luck doing the ton. Thats probably far enough for most folk. My record was a 150 miles in 12 hour trial which i just scraped. Too far really and never again.

Its a 5 year project so the odd hiccup will always occur and probably worse than i have experienced. The real pain is when it stops you doing the really awkward stuff. No examples i can recall so far though :D

Not sure she wants to join me bashing back and forth - especially evenings as the lure of a glass of wine or beer may be quite strong in the summer, but perhaps we might find a base for a week or even a midweek break somewhere. It will happen i am sure.

If i was doing Peartree again - which i am not haha, i would probably phone East Midlands in advance and ask for the code. The cyclist when i did get down to the ramp said he had used the same code for months as he was a regular commuter there. Bit sporty given there are only 2 trains a day in each direction. The good news its only about a 30 mins wait for the return for each of them.
Not sure i would want to rely on one train in and out for my commute though. I must stress that my experience was just a snapshot on one day. It may work perfectly now...

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@All platforms perhaps you could think of a project for when this is complete, if it dominates your life finishing could be a shock. But maybe there shall be more new platforms then.

Cycling perhaps? I tried that to start the year, did 60 miles on 1.1 so a hundred seems possible.

All platforms

Day 17: Tuesday 27/04/2021 - West Midlands Day Ranger £19.00 with senior railcard - Valid after 9.00am Weekdays. CP £2 at Cannock
Total time 350 mins - Time on trains 154 mins and time waiting 196 mins. Total stations completed 10. Total completed 157.

The aim today was the top 10 northernmost stations on the line up to Rugeley Trent Valley though in retrospect i have the line between Hamstead and Tame Bridge Parkway still to do if not the stations. A shorter day for sure as a result. Again it was an efficient suburban line with decent trainsets, no overcrowding and the weather was decent too. These last 2 lines have been straight forward and event free. No stress - wonderful.

A line full of metallic signalling sculptures - especially at the Rugeley end. Nothing much to report other than another 10 ticked off.

CannockDepart
9.01​
*****WMstationsplatforms
Bloxwich NorthArrive
9.08​
P1WMwait 11mcompletedcompleted
Bloxwich NorthDepart
9.19​
P2WM
1​
2​
9.41​
P1WMwait 7m
9.48​
P1WM
1​
3​
Rugeley TownArrive
9.51​
P1WMwait 10m
Rugeley TownDepart
10.01​
P2WM
1​
2​
10.05​
P1WMwait 15m
10.20​
P1WM
LandywoodArrive
10.36​
P1WMwait 10m
LandywoodDepart
10.46​
P2WM
1​
2​
CannockArrive
10.49​
P2WMwait 12m
CannockDepart
11.01​
P1WM
1​
2​
WalsallArrive
11.15​
P2WMwait 19m
WalsallDepart
11.34​
P1WM
HednesfordArrive
11.53​
P2WMwait 36m
HednesfordDepart
12.29​
P1WM
1​
2​
Bescot StadiumArrive
12.51​
P1WMwait 15m
Bescot StadiumDepart
13.06​
P2WM
1​
2​
BloxwichArrive
13.17​
P2WMwait 28m
BloxwichDepart
13.45​
P1WM
1​
2​
WalsallArrive
13.47​
P2WMwait 13m
WalsallDepart
14.00​
P3WM
1​
3​
Tame Bridge ParkwayArrive
14.07​
P1WMwait 20m
Tame Bridge ParkwayDepart
14.27​
P2WM
1​
2​
CannockArrive
14.51​
*****WM

Last edited:

All platforms

@All platforms perhaps you could think of a project for when this is complete, if it dominates your life finishing could be a shock. But maybe there shall be more new platforms then.

Cycling perhaps? I tried that to start the year, did 60 miles on 1.1 so a hundred seems possible.
I have multiple projects on the go and this is the rail related one. This only takes 2 or maybe 3 days a week of my time during British Summer Time. No fading away for me now i'm retired. Make the most of every day is my motto and doing what interests me most is key, subject to time and money constraints. I will almost certainly have something else in place before i finish this - knowing me i may extend it to cover preserved railways or perhaps charter services for obscure lines. The Branch Line society seem to have some interesting outings for example. Ask me again in 4 years:lol:

I still get out and about on my bike as time permits though it is a mountain bike now so not that much roadwork.

All platforms

Day 18: Thursday 29/04/2021 - West Midlands Day Ranger £19.00 with senior railcard - Valid after 9.00am Weekdays. CP £4.50 at Marmion Street Tamworth
Total time 497 mins - Time on trains 151 mins and time waiting 346 mins. Stations completed today 4. Total completed 161.

Tamworth was the base for today and will be used again quite a few times more. It is quite handy to get to and not too many queues on the journey back.

Todays aim was to start on the mammoth task of using the 36 variants (or 48 depending how you view M platforms) with each of the 12 platforms having an a or b variant as well as a full length platform option. M variants are more for the dispatchers i understand, and are not on the information screens but RTT does show them - but essentially they usually, but not always straddle the a and b platforms and are 6 cars or less. I have really not fully got to grips with this although i did start a thread last year on the subject and got some really good info. I am not sure a layman can say with any certainty what constitutes "M" however and with all the platform alterations happening at that time due to the signalling work being carried out it was iffy sometimes to know what was what. I did get some pointers from dispatchers if they were free but even they were not always sure. Me - "Is this train on the M platform" Dispatcher - "Its booked to be on the M platform" Me "Is that a yes then?" Dispatcher "Not quite sure - I'm happy where it is - does it matter?" Me "no - thankyou" Dispatchers can also draw trains forward beyond the signal as i understand it to create "M's" but there is no manual on the subject and RTT doesnt show historic M info just anticipatory.. I am going to check on all my New Street photos- and i have lots, to see if i can unravel this further. Once i get to my first M i will pause these updates until i have decided on a plan of action. There was a very good reason i parked this last year!!!

It would be rude not to bag at least a few stations along the way so the 4 stations on the way to Birmingham International were ticked off without too much fanfare. Then off to Water Orton where i had time for a late chippy lunch before being caught out by the bi-directional platform 1. Yes my research had let me down and i would have to return here again to travel on the sole p2 example towards Derby/Nottingham later in the year.

All in all 8 variants were placed in the spreadsheet today so not a bad haul but there was a long way to go.

A note about Stechford. Whilst i understand the line through p3 has occasional passenger usage it has been many years since a scheduled train stopped there so that is another platform which i cannot reasonably expect to achieve.

TamworthDepart
9.02​
*****XCplatform notstationsplatforms
9.22​
P11aXCwait 26mtimetabledcompletedcompleted
9.48​
P7WMat completed
DuddestonArrive
9.52​
P2WMwait 14mstations
DuddestonDepart
10.06​
P1WM
10.10​
P12WMwait 29m
10.39​
P3aWM
StechfordArrive
10.45​
P2WMwait 12m
StechfordDepart
10.57​
P1WMP3
1​
2​
Adderley ParkArrive
10.59​
P2WMwait 23m
Adderley ParkDepart
11.22​
P1WM
1​
2​
Marston GreenArrive
11.31​
P1WMwait 18m
Marston GreenDepart
11.49​
P2WM
1​
2​
Lea HallArrive
11.52​
P1WMwait 37m
Lea HallDepart
12.29​
P2WM
1​
2​
Birmingham InternationalArrive
12.35​
P3WMwait 20m
Birmingham InternationalDepart
12.55​
P2VT
13.05​
P5VTwait 17m
13.22​
P9aXC
Water OrtonArrive
13.33​
P1XCwait 62m
Water OrtonDepart
14.35​
P1XC
14.45​
P9aXCwait 19m
15.04​
P1XC
CoventryArrive
15.25​
P2XCwait 23m
CoventryDepart
15.48​
P4LM
16.17​
P6LMwait 46m
17.03​
P8XC
TamworthArrive
17.19​
*****XC

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 19: Saturday 01/05/2021 - Cheshire Day Ranger £17.10 with senior railcard - Valid all day at Weekends. CP £2 at Warrington Bank Quay
Total time 271 mins - Time on trains 156 mins and time waiting 115 mins. Stations completed today 3. Total completed 164.

This was a reasonably successful attempt to colour in some awkward platforms without much travelling. An early start to get the 5.42 to Ellesmere Port. Once i got there the Merseyarail train was in the other platform and off i went to Liverpool Lime street via the Wirral. This does now leave me with the prospect of redoing Ellesmere Port from the Northern side to complete the line Eastwards to Stanlow & Thornton remembering not to get off there of course or its a mother of a walk out of an industrial complex.

Perfect timing at Liverpool; Lime Street to jump aboard the 7.05 LNW on p9 which completed my first main line station. Yay. Another short wait for the Arriva at Liverpool South Parkway which was on p3 - only used once a week earlyish on a saturday. Off at Runcorn and then back to South Parkway and then to Warrington before 9am. Happy days and the rest of the day was free before attempting the other super rare p4 in the evening at 20.10. This does not run currently with the only other example being 23.16 on a sunday.

There was no easy way to do this without ruining the evening completely so decided to drive to Frodsham to get the 19.47 and which allowed me take in the Runcorn curve both ways as well as that very elusive p4 at South Parkway. the return trip was mostly in the dark but i was just glad that it had all gone to plan as platform alterations were not unknown at South Parkway.

Another set of awkwards ticked off.

Warrington Bank QuayDepart
5.42​
*****NTstationsplatforms
Ellesmere PortArrive
6.11​
P2NTwait 8mcompletedcompleted
Ellesmere PortDepart
6.19​
P1ME
1​
2​
Liverpool Lime StreetArrive
6.59​
LLMEwait 6m
Liverpool Lime StreetDepart
7.05​
P9LM
1​
11​
Liverpool South ParkwayArrive
7.14​
P1LMwait 14m
Liverpool South ParkwayDepart
7.28​
P3AW
RuncornArrive
7.39​
P1AWwait 45m
RuncornDepart
8.24​
P2LM
1​
2​
8.31​
P2LMwait 3m
8.34​
P1NT
Warrington CentralArrive
8.53​
*****NT
Home pending evening tripn/a
0.00​
n/an/a
FrodshamDepart
19.47​
*****AW
20.10​
P4AWwait 39m
20.49​
P1AW
FrodshamArrive
21.07​
*****AW

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 20: Sunday 02/05/2021 - Return £2.10 Capenhurst to Hooton. CP free at Capenhurst
Total time 30 mins - Time on trains 11 mins and time waiting 19 mins. Stations completed today 1. Total completed 165.

The most inconvenient platform of the journey so far - the lesser spotted p1 at Hooton which has 1 service i can use very late on and another afterwards so as to keep to "the rules"

Negotiations completed at home i arrived at Capenhurst in time to catch the 23.47 to Hooton p1. I think i was the only person on the train as its only 1 stop up the line. Into the bay platform and off the train to be viewed very oddly by the crew as i didn't exit the station as might be expected. I wasn't challenged so they shut the train down and off they went into the night leaving me alone on the station at midnight. It doesn't particularly bother me but the last train of the night to Capenhurst and Chester thankfully turned up on time after onmly a short wait. A big contrast to the arriving train with what appeared to be a great party going on a few carriages back. What i didn't expect was them to all get off at Capenhurst - probably 20 of them. I was 2 carriage lengths ahead so had time to saunter to my car and be off before any good natured banter could ensue ho hum.

One more entry tomorrow before i pause for the M deliberations...

CapenhurstDepart
23.47​
*****MEstationsplatforms
HootonArrive
23.53​
P1MEwait 19m
1​
3​
HootonDepart
0.12​
P2ME
CapenhurstArrive
0.17​
*****ME

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Until I saw your thread last year on the M platforms at New Street, I didn't know such a thing happened. All I knew was there are a and b variations for all platforms except for 4 which also has c, but M was new to me. It's certainly unusual, and I honestly would count it as a or b only.

As for your 150 mile ride, Jeez Louise that's crazy! Agreed that regular rides certainly get the muscles toned up, I need to do the same with my core but I just can't resist tasty, high-fat food! Most of my intake is healthy, to be fair, just not enough of it and especially so in the evenings. Hopefully once winter is over I'll have it sorted, and my 100 mile ride is still a long way off yet. Might be doing my Gran Fondo for this month on Monday, trying to choose a route that won't be too challenging but also enjoyable is actually difficult!

Going back to your quest, I see you're as bad as me with multiple missions on the go at once. An excellent way to do things in my opinion! And yes, the Kyle line is one of my favourite lines in the UK to do for scenery. The West Highland Line is also well up there, and I do like the Cambrian Coast through Wales. I haven't done the bit north of Dovey Junction for a very long time, it remains on my list of routes to do again. What I have seen of it, definitely one you will enjoy.

Some of the Cardiff Valleys are quite nice too, the Rhymney line is probably my favourite due to the amount of times I've been up it in years gone by. It's all changing of course currently with electrification works and brand new trains coming soon, so it's going to be very exciting!

As for your stations around London not in a Travelcard/rover area, yes they will be a bit of a pain to do. It is for good reason there's a lot of stations in said area that I never did!

All platforms

Day
Until I saw your thread last year on the M platforms at New Street, I didn't know such a thing happened. All I knew was there are a and b variations for all platforms except for 4 which also has c, but M was new to me. It's certainly unusual, and I honestly would count it as a or b only.

As for your 150 mile ride, Jeez Louise that's crazy! Agreed that regular rides certainly get the muscles toned up, I need to do the same with my core but I just can't resist tasty, high-fat food! Most of my intake is healthy, to be fair, just not enough of it and especially so in the evenings. Hopefully once winter is over I'll have it sorted, and my 100 mile ride is still a long way off yet. Might be doing my Gran Fondo for this month on Monday, trying to choose a route that won't be too challenging but also enjoyable is actually difficult!

Going back to your quest, I see you're as bad as me with multiple missions on the go at once. An excellent way to do things in my opinion! And yes, the Kyle line is one of my favourite lines in the UK to do for scenery. The West Highland Line is also well up there, and I do like the Cambrian Coast through Wales. I haven't done the bit north of Dovey Junction for a very long time, it remains on my list of routes to do again. What I have seen of it, definitely one you will enjoy.

Some of the Cardiff Valleys are quite nice too, the Rhymney line is probably my favourite due to the amount of times I've been up it in years gone by. It's all changing of course currently with electrification works and brand new trains coming soon, so it's going to be very exciting!

As for your stations around London not in a Travelcard/rover area, yes they will be a bit of a pain to do. It is for good reason there's a lot of stations in said area that I never did!
Decisons decisons... Meantime my aim this year is to complete Wales by the summer. The Valley lines intrigue me for some reason and probably best to do now the electrification programme is up and running. I can always revisit if things change in a few years. Then maybe the Greater Anglia lines outside zones 1 to 9 especially if i bite the bullet on an all lines rover. If not, just the ones linked to Rover/Ranger tickets for now. Inbetween, there are a boatload still to do in the North which i can pick away at. I am sure there will be some randoms in there as well for the variety. I do holiday in Scotland most years and had planned to do a sunday run to Kyle in 2021 with my partner but as we know sunday working in Scotland last year was a very hit and miss affair. Oban p2 on a sunday was another one we missed out on. Just means we have to go again..

All platforms

Day 21: Thursday 06/05/2021 - West Midlands Day Ranger £19.00 with senior railcard - Valid after 9.00am Weekdays. CP free at Whitlocks End.
Total time 442 mins - Time on trains 170 mins and time waiting 272 mins. Stations completed today 9. Total completed 174.

Todays offering is the Shakespeare line down towards Stratford-upon-Avon - or most of it anyway. Its a good service with comfortable trains and it takes in at least 3 request stops.

My instinct was to tick off 3 of the request stops first and they are all quite remote. Wood End is in a deep cutting and if you are not reasonanly fit it will take at least 5 minutes to get from one platform to the other. Quite a haul up from the depths. Probably the longest walk i have done between platforms.

Henley-in-Arden is one of the better stations to wander about. Its very neat and tidy and gives off a vibe of yesteryear which is no doubt deliberate. Old and interesting features abound if you explore and you even get a whole and complete platform with no rail attached from days gone by.

Stratford-upon-Avon Parkway was an eyesore attached to a huge but empty car park. I had a wander down to have a look and you could then see part of the problem. They were charging an arm and a leg for parking at a Parkway station. Self defeating in my view.

Wilmcote was memorable for the size and quality of the pasties in the local village store. I hadn't stocked up today and i remember being delighted to find something so tasty. Mind you it was gone 12.30 and i hadn't eaten a thing before so a bag of gravel may have gone down just as well...

One reason i had chosen this line was that p1 at Stratford was out of action - due to a broken rail i found out later, and so could get what would have been an awkward p3 and then come back another time from the Leamington line to tick off p1.

2 more request stops follow. The Lakes on the main line and then my first Chilterns train took me to my 5th request stop of the day which was Claverdon - on the single link line East. With not much of interest to be found outside the station i spent a hot 50 mins there before returning to Stratford to join a horde of children waiting for the WM train back up the main line. I found out later that its only a request stop for the few West Midlands trains that use the line and not Chiltern trains.

Whitlocks EndDepart
9.38​
*****WMstationsplatforms
ShirleyArrive
9.41​
P2WMwait 4mcompletedcompleted
ShirleyDepart
9.45​
P1WM
1​
2​
DanzeyArrive
10.01​
P1WMwait 44m
DanzeyDepart
10.45​
P2WM
1​
2​
Wood EndArrive
10.48​
P2WMwait 10m
Wood EndDepart
10.58​
P1WM
1​
2​
Wootton WawenArrive
11.08​
P1WMwait 29m
Wootton WawenDepart
11.37​
P2WM
1​
2​
Henley-in-ArdenArrive
11.40​
P2WMwait 25m
Henley-in-ArdenDepart
12.05​
P1WM
1​
2​
Stratford-upon-Avon ParkwayArrive
12.17​
P1WMwait 12m
Stratford-upon-Avon ParkwayDepart
12.29​
P2WM
1​
2​
WilmcoteArrive
12.32​
P1WMwait 42m
WilmcoteDepart
13.14​
P2WM
1​
2​
Stratford-upon-AvonArrive
13.20​
P2WMwait 5m
Stratford-upon-AvonDepart
13.25​
P2WM
The LakesArrive
13.49​
P2WMwait 6m
The LakesDepart
13.55​
P1WM
1​
2​
14.20​
P2WMwait 21m
14.41​
P3CH
ClaverdonArrive
14.55​
SingleCHwait 54m
1​
1​
ClaverdonDepart
15.49​
SingleCH
16.06​
P3CHwait 20m
16.26​
P2WM
Whitlocks EndArrive
17.00​
*****WM

Last edited:

All platforms

As advised by many wiser than me i am going to just use the 37 variants (thanks Techniquest for reminding me about 4c) for the official count at Birmingham New Street. If RTT says its an M platform and it ends up straddling a and b i will take that as an unofficial side quest tick. I do have pics to verify the one i have looked at so far. Here goes.

All platforms

Day 22: Sunday 09/05/2021 - West Midlands Day Ranger £19.00 with senior railcard - Valid all day at weekends. CP free at Sandwell & Dudley.
Total time 501 mins - Time on trains 170 mins and time waiting 331 mins. Stations completed today 5. Total completed 179.

Birmingham based today and any new stations are a bonus. Pretty much every time i visited New Street there were a phalanx of platform alterations and its a bit of a maze trying to remember exactly what happened each day. I knew i had a few core targets and based my day around those. Many platforms are used constantly whilst others seem to be as rare as hens teeth so i thought it best to get as many as possible under my belt and then take stock all the while picking away at the awkward ones. New Street seems to phase many people and if you only visit once or twice i can understand why. For me, if possible use the stairs at the end of the B platform to move around or any others if you are not crossing the line between 5 and 6. hmmmm.. maybe opened a can of worms there but it is not my intention to add to the grand debate.

P4m is the first side quest offering on an early ride to Lea Hall and back. It fits my criteria so i will take it.

8 more conventional NS platforms are added to the tally today as well as 5 new stations. I didn't stray too far from New Street apart from a couple of trips To Birmingham International as at that time p1 was rarely used with a reduced timetable still in evidence, and not knowing the normal patterns i tend to take things when i see them. A quick look at the patterns now show that its not an issue these days.

A day for just picking a route and letting fate dictate after about 10am.

A couple of side trips to Wolverhampton for variety helped the day along just fine too and a helpful dispatcher advised about the now almost defunct p6 which is a curved bay platform at the north end of platform 1. It has only been used in recent years for an early starter to Shrewsbury but apparently needs 2 drivers as it need to be reversed in. Not an expert but that was how it was told to me. I know from my research that p6 was used before everything went to pot but it hasn't been used since. It was still timetabled as p6 but always departed from p1. I have just noticed they have now made this more permanent as the current timetable no longer includes a p6 entry. Does this mean i can show Wolverhampton as completed now?? hmm.. scrabbles to change spreadsheets.

Sandwell & DudleyDepart
8.15​
*****VTstationsplatforms
8.25​
P1VTwait 13mcompletedcompleted
8.38​
P4mLMat completed
Lea HallArrive
8.48​
P2LMwait 12mstations
Lea HallDepart
9.00​
P1LM
9.10​
P5aLMwait 25m
9.35​
P2bWM
Sandwell & DudleyArrive
9.42​
P2WMwait 19m
Sandwell & DudleyDepart
10.01​
P1LM
Hampton-in-ArdenArrive
10.32​
P1LMwait 16m
Hampton-in-ArdenDepart
10.48​
P2LM
1​
2​
10.51​
P2LMwait 40m
11.31​
P4LM
BerkswellArrive
11.38​
P2LMwait 7m
BerkswellDepart
11.45​
P1LM
1​
2​
11.52​
P3LMwait 14m
12.06​
P1AW
12.17​
P6bAWwait 30m
12.47​
P4cLM
WolverhamptonArrive
13.01​
P1LMwait 20m
WolverhamptonDepart
13.21​
P5WM
CoseleyArrive
13.26​
P1WMwait 23m
CoseleyDepart
13.49​
P2LM
1​
2​
WolverhamptonArrive
13.55​
P2LMwait 42m
WolverhamptonDepart
14.37​
P3WM
14.55​
P5bWMwait 20m
15.15​
P12aWM
Five WaysArrive
15.18​
P2WMwait 14m
Five WaysDepart
15.32​
P1WM
1​
2​
15.37​
P12aWMwait 31m
16.08​
P4bWM
TiptonArrive
16.26​
P2WMwait 5m
TiptonDepart
16.31​
P1WM
1​
2​
Sandwell & DudleyArrive
16.36​
*****WM

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 23: Wednesday 12/05/2021 - West Midlands Day Ranger £19.00 with senior railcard - Valid after 9.00am Weekdays. CP free at Shirley
Total tiime 446 mins - Time on trains 158 mins and time waiting 288 mins. Stations completed today 10. Total completed 189.

Todays mission is to complete the top end of the Shakespeare line and then try and fill in the Snow Hill and Moor Street stations before a ride out to Warwick Parkway and back.

A couple of longish waits at nondescript stations before arriving at Yardley Wood at lunchtime where i went in search of sustenance. Unless a station is out in the wilds there is generally a local shop or Greggs Spar Co-op Tesco etc on hand to ensure i can get something on the go if required. I do find i am reaching for the snackier end of the food tree on my travels and resolve to try harder. Perhaps a meal deal might not be the worst thing.. Opposite the station here was a Vinyl Music emporium. "Dancin' Prancin' Groovin' Movin'" adorns the frontage. I go and take a peek.

I love the name Snow Hill but a quick search doesn't come up with anything that suggests it snowed a lot there back in the day, but no matter. It was a bit of struggle to come up with an itinerary that used all the options here with the 2 bay platforms that Chiltern use at Moor Street being the sticky element to fit in efficiently. Moor Street has the old style signs that i quite like and even one for platform 5 which has a shiny modern platform face but some very rusty rail attached. No idea how long that has been out of use but its definitely not attached to the network any more.. The 13.56 Chiltern train was pulled by a class 68 and i do miss being pulled along without a fanfare of noise underneath. A more conventional 168 returned me to Moor Street for the penultimate time and then another example of these got me to Warwick Parkway (another expensive Parkway car park) and back.

Another day that went to plan.

ShirleyDepart
9.03​
*****WMstationsplatforms
Spring RoadArrive
9.09​
P2WMwait 21mcompletedcompleted
Spring RoadDepart
9.40​
P1WM
1​
2​
WythallArrive
9.52​
P2WMwait 6m
WythallDepart
9.58​
P1WM
1​
2​
Whitlocks EndArrive
10.00​
P1WMwait 49m
Whitlocks EndDepart
10.49​
P2WM
1​
2​
EarlswoodArrive
10.53​
P1WMwait 61m
EarlswoodDepart
11.54​
P2WM
1​
2​
Hall GreenArrive
12.08​
P2WMwait 14m
Hall GreenDepart
12.22​
P1WM
1​
2​
Yardley WoodArrive
12.24​
P1WMwait 22m
Yardley WoodDepart
12.46​
P2WM
1​
2​
Birmingham Snow HillArrive
13.02​
P1WMwait 10m
Birmingham Snow HillDepart
13.12​
P2CH
Birmingham Moor StreetArrive
13.14​
P1CHwait 7m
Birmingham Moor StreetDepart
13.21​
P2WM
Birmingham Snow HillArrive
13.23​
P1WMwait 5m
Birmingham Snow HillDepart
13.28​
P3WM
1​
3​
13.30​
P1WMwait 26m
13.56​
P3CH
SolihullArrive
14.04​
P1CHwait 19m
SolihullDepart
14.23​
P2CH
1​
2​
14.36​
P2CHwait 19m
14.55​
P4CH
1​
4​
Warwick ParkwayArrive
15.18​
P1CHwait 12m
Warwick ParkwayDepart
15.30​
P2CH
1​
2​
15.54​
P3CHwait 17m
16.11​
P1WM
ShirleyArrive
16.29​
*****WM

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 24: Sunday 16/05/2021 - West Midlands Day Ranger £19.00 - Valid all day at Weekends. CP free at Penkridge.
Total time 408 mins - Time on trains 147 mins and waiting time 307 mins. Stations completed today 4. Total completed 193.

These West Midlands Day Rangers offer extraordinary value bounded as they are by Crewe, Stoke-on-Trent, Northampton, Leamington Spa, Stratford-upon-Avon, Hereford and even Gobowen which is beyond Shrewsbury. Today i concentrated on the top part of this area to try for the stations as far as Penkridge. I chose a sunday as this was the only time i could see p6 at Stafford being used but the service patterns for the rest of the day weren't too friendly and it took a long time to pull together something i was happy with.

There is a sign at Penkridge which delineates the P-way boundary between Wolverhampton and Stafford whatever that is. It also included Fault Control numbers for Birmingham and Manchester so perhaps there is a clue there. Stafford p6 took me into Crewe where i am always amused by the stop sign for the sleeper which has ZZ in big bold letters. That can't have been random surely. I had plenty time to explore the station as i would be back here a number of times later on and knowledge is key. Also intrigued by the room tucked away which is designated "The calm corner".

Next stop Stafford on an Avanti service. This was the time of supposedly compulsory seat reservations but i was never challenged by anyone. There is an additional quasi bay platform at Stafford adjacent to platform 1 which is still probably used as there are signals in place but definitely not a passenger stop. Access gate is locked too. Rusty rails in evidence and starting to look quite overgrown.

Stone is an odd station situated as it is just off the junction that takes the express trains over the Hixon line. The station building itself is grade 2 listed and is plaqued accordingly. Just off the Express line there is a stub which was used on my visit by a Colas track monitoring train with a dinky brake van type thing called Karine. Excuse me but i know nothing about maintenance rolling stock. An 8 car 350 was the final act of the day from Stafford to Penkridge. I quite like these. Again a day without problems...

PenkridgeDepart
8.58​
*****LMstationsplatforms
StaffordArrive
9.07​
P5LMwait 9mcompletedcompleted
StaffordDepart
9.16​
P6LMat completed
CreweArrive
9.56​
P4LMwait 19mstations
CreweDepart
10.15​
P1VT
StaffordArrive
10.32​
P1VTwait 14m
StaffordDepart
10.46​
P3LM
1​
5​
CreweArrive
11.10​
P7LMwait 61m
CreweDepart
12.11​
P4LM
StoneArrive
12.40​
P2LMwait 46m
StoneDepart
13.26​
P1LM
1​
2​
Stoke-on-TrentArrive
13.33​
P2LMwait 35m
Stoke-on-TrentDepart
14.08​
P1XC
1​
3​
StaffordArrive
14.22​
P4XCwait 19m
StaffordDepart
14.41​
P4LM
PenkridgeArrive
14.47​
P2LMwait 21m
PenkridgeDepart
15.08​
P1LM
1​
2​
StaffordArrive
15.13​
P5LMwait 27m
StaffordDepart
15.40​
P4LM
PenkridgeArrive
15.46​
*****LM

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 25: Lancashire Day Ranger 17.10 with senior railcard - Valid after 9.00 am Weekdays. CP free at Newton-le-Willows
Total time 454 mins - Time on trains 147 mins and time waiting 307 mins. Stations completed today 7. Total completed 200.

A change of scenery to keep things fresh and an attempt on the line between Huyton and Wigan North West. The service patterns at that time were pretty awkward and the best i could come up with was 4 separate waits over 30 mins - but the weather was good.

First task of the day was to complete Earlestown and then off to Huyton for the first of 2 long waits there. This was made a little more pleasant by being able to use the first station coffee shop that was open as most if not all having had to close for lockdowns previously etc. It passed the time pleasantly then off i went experiencing the line of the day. The station sign at Prescot proclaims it is the home of the Shakespeare North Playhouse - who knew.

At Wigan North West i was able to personally verify that platform 2 is no longer connected to the network although the rails are still in situ adjacent to the platform edge which is also in place, as is a sign advertising it. I did use this many years ago on a trip to Liverpool i think. It was used as reversal point from Manchester then crossed over the main line to Bryn and beyond. Not many services used it however.

Not much to report after this. I find the more local stations to home of less interest, probably because i have used most of them at one time or another but you do find something unexpectedly interesting most times. The line was complete which was the objective with a brace at Wigan in the pot too. Home before tea is always a bonus too.

Newton-le-WillowsDepart
9.27​
*****NTstationsplatforms
EarlestownArrive
9.29​
P5NTwait 23mcompletedcompleted
EarlestownDepart
9.52​
P2NT
1​
5​
HuytonArrive
10.08​
P1NTwait 53m
HuytonDepart
11.01​
P4NT
Eccleston ParkArrive
11.07​
P2NTwait 8m
Eccleston ParkDepart
11.15​
P1NT
1​
2​
PrescotArrive
11.18​
P2NTwait 46m
PrescotDepart
12.04​
P1NT
1​
2​
Wigan North WesternArrive
12.29​
P6NTwait 24m
Wigan North WesternDepart
12.53​
P4NT
St Helens CentralArrive
13.05​
NTwait 9m
St Helens CentralDepart
13.14​
NT
1​
2​
BrynArrive
13.24​
P1NTwait 36m
BrynDepart
14.00​
P2NT
1​
2​
GarswoodArrive
14.03​
NTwait 16m
GarswoodDepart
14.19​
NT
1​
2​
Wigan North WesternArrive
14.30​
P6NTwait 19m
Wigan North WesternDepart
14.49​
P4NT
HuytonArrive
15.11​
P2NTwait 49m
HuytonDepart
16.00​
P4NT
Thatto HeathArrive
16.09​
P2NTwait 5m
Thatto HeathDepart
16.14​
P1NT
1​
2​
HuytonArrive
16.23​
P2NTwait 19m
HuytonDepart
16.42​
P3NT
Newton-le-WillowsArrive
17.01​
*****NT

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 26: Sunday 23/05/2021 - Off pk Rtn Warrington West to Hunts Cross £4.05, Merseyrail Daysaver £5.50 Valid all day at Weekends. CP £1 Warrington West
Total time 221 mins - Time on trains 88 mins + time waiting 133 mins. Stations completed today 8. Total completed 208.

At short notice i find a have a free afternoon so the nearest track not done yet is the Merseyrail line from Liverpool South Parkway to Liverpool Central and off i go via Hunts Cross at the end of the Mersey network. Next stop Cressington which in parts has a very narrow platform. Possibly the narrowest i've seen but then again i was not even 10% done at that time.

The efficient Mersey trains do their thing and in no time i'm back at Hunts Cross for the last train home. 8 stations completed in well under 4 hours. If only the rest of the network can compete with that. Well, i am sure parts of London can, maybe.

The next planned day out will be new territory and i'm looking forward to this quite a lot.

Warrington WestDepart
13.18​
*****NTstationsplatforms
Hunts CrossArrive
13.35​
P1NTwait 31m
1​
3​
Hunts CrossDepart
14.06​
P3ME
CressingtonArrive
14.11​
MEwait 13m
CressingtonDepart
14.24​
ME
1​
2​
14.26​
P5MEwait 14m
14.40​
P6ME
1​
6​
St MichaelsArrive
14.46​
MEwait 5m
St MichaelsDepart
14.51​
ME
1​
2​
AigburthArrive
14.53​
P1MEwait 21m
AigburthDepart
15.14​
P2ME
1​
2​
Liverpool CentralArrive
15.23​
P2MEwait 21m
1​
3​
Liverpool CentralDepart
15.44​
P1ME
BrunswickArrive
15.48​
MEwait 5m
BrunswickDepart
15.53​
ME
1​
2​
MoorfieldsArrive
16.00​
P2MEwait 11m
MoorfieldsDepart
16.11​
P1ME
1​
3​
Hunts CrossArrive
16.31​
P3MEwait 12m
Hunts CrossDepart
16.43​
P2NT
Warrington WestArrive
16.59​
*****NT

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 27: Saturday 29/05/2021 - West Midlands Day Ranger £19.00 with senior railcard - Valid all day at Weekends. CP free at Wellington
Total time 455 mins - Time on trains 208 mins and time waiting 247 mins. Stations completed today 9. Total completed 217.

I am not sure why but i was looking forward to today rather a lot. Perhaps it was the time taken to carve out the perfect itinerary which included catching as much of Shrewsbury as was possible with this Ranger. It would mean a fairly early start with the first train departing Wellingon for me at 7.11 to ensure p5 + 6 at Shrewsbury. A quick return to wellington before going straight back to Shrewsbury and then up to Gobowen which is the limit of this ticket. P4 p4b + p4a were all ticked off by the time came to explore the rest of line.

Wellington does have a bay platform P3 but nothing has been timetabled to start or terminate there for many a year. It is probably long enough to accommodate 3 car sets if you needed to terminate short of Shrewsbury but i am not sure. It is signed and the platform kept up to standard but this is another one which is technically possible but cannot be put on my to do list.

Back and to in the usual way for the rest of the day apart from a final foray to Shrewsbury to tick off my 6th platform variant there. Just p7 options to do now. Cosford station gave me a good view of the airfield and a couple of aircraft movements there helped pass the time as no more interesting options presented themselves. I thought Telford might have something to offer but it just felt too long a slog into the town centre on a very hot part of the day so apathy got the better of me. Not quite as exciting as i had hoped all things considered. I hope rail fatigue isn't settig in.

WellingtonDepart
7.11​
*****AWplatform notstationsplatforms
ShrewsburyArrive
7.25​
P5AWwait 14mtimetabledcompletedcompleted
ShrewsburyDepart
7.39​
P6WMat completed
WellingtonArrive
7.51​
P1WMwait 4mstations