• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How difficult is it to arrive or leave at all timetabled platforms. 5 year project to achieve this.

All platforms

Day 28: Tuesday 01/06/2021 - Anytime Sgl £4.40 Plumley to Delamere, Cheshire Day Ranger £17.10 with senior railcard - Valid after 9.00am Weekdays. CP Free at Plumley
Total time 366 mins - time on trains 199 mins and time waiting 167 mins. Stations completed today 11. Total completed 228.

This will be my last report for a day or two. Had to get these in before my memory of the earlier trips got trashed completely. I am well into my stride now and have a fairly decent knowledge how to plan reasonably effectively. Learning from my mistakes for sure and still thoroughly enjoying the whole process despite my off day last time out.

I didn't have a full day to play out as other commitments have to be considered but i knew i could get most of the Altrincham line done by mid afternoon now that a more standard service was in place.

The start point was Plumley which had a sign proclaiming it "Cheshire Best Kept Station Winner 2013" Its still pretty neat and tidy and has a welcoming air. It is also one of the smallest stations i have seen which had an Amazon locker, with this one tucked into a corner of the waiting shelter. Delamere is another lovely station and i was delighted to learn that the station house cafe was open and serving hot breakfasts. I was the first customer of the day and wolfed down an excellent bacon butty in plenty of time for my next train. Yum. Delamere also won the Cheshire Best kept station award in 2017.

The viaduct at Northwich is pretty amazing but no time to enjoy the station as its back down the line to Mouldsworth which is a short platform and only the front two and a bit carriages fit. the guard seemed to go up and down the front carriages releasing the doors manually from the outside. Then locking them after. I may have misunderstood what was happening but i have never seen this type of action before. Is this normal at Mouldsworth or just for class 150's which these were. Interesting nontheless. If anyone is interested in a posh pub meal the Goshawk just outside the station is highly recommended. Somewhere i had visited a few years ago with friends.

No real waits today which is good as i am making full use of the line, so the rest of the stations are steadily ticked off. A very pleasant day out and home before 4pm. Wonderful. There are still a couple of stations to do on the western end but they will be more easily done from Chester the timetable being what it was.

Navigation Road was a bit different as there is a separate line each for the tram and the train, with platforms opposite each other. A little odd when you first experience it.

PlumleyDepart
8.33​
*****NTstationsplatforms
DelamereArrive
8.54​
NTwait 24mcompletedcompleted
DelamereDepart
9.18​
NT
1​
2​
NorthwichArrive
9.32​
NTwait 5m
NorthwichDepart
9.37​
NT
1​
2​
MouldsworthArrive
9.58​
NTwait 17m
MouldsworthDepart
10.15​
NT
1​
2​
HaleArrive
10.57​
NTwait 19m
HaleDepart
11.16​
NT
1​
2​
MobberleyArrive
11.22​
NTwait 31m
MobberleyDepart
11.53​
NT
1​
2​
AltrinchamArrive
12.03​
P3NTwait 6m
AltrinchamDepart
12.09​
P4NT
1​
2​
KnutsfordArrive
12.23​
NTwait 26m
KnutsfordDepart
12.49​
NT
1​
2​
AshleyArrive
12.57​
NTwait 19m
AshleyDepart
13.16​
NT
1​
2​
PlumleyArrive
13.29​
NTwait 12m
PlumleyDepart
13.41​
NT
1​
2​
Navigation RoadArrive
14.01​
SingleNTwait 6m
1​
1​
Navigation RoadDepart
14.07​
SingleNT
Lostock GralamArrive
14.33​
NTwait 2m
Lostock GralamDepart
14.35​
NT
1​
2​
PlumleyArrive
14.39​
*****NT

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gathursty

Established Member
Clifton to Swinton is surely a shorter walk than Clifton to Salford Crescent?

Good luck nonetheless.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yet more good reads, and I see you've done really well so far!

Hereford's p4, if you haven't been made aware already, currently has zero booked workings all week. On certain occasions, when the line is blocked south of Hereford, then it very occasionally gets used by a TfW train but it's extremely unusual and I've barely seen it used or even bewn aware of it being used much in the last year.

Similar for Worcester Shrub Hill's p3, it used to have a booked service on Sundays and even then it only happened if services ran in their correct order. With the current reduced service timetables, there's no use for it right now and I wouldn't consider it going on your list to do. Which does make Shrub Hill a little easier as it's just 1a/1b and 2a/2b. Thankfully Foregate Street, just 50 chains away and can be walked in 10 minutes if needs be, is a nice and simple two platform affair.

Bromsgrove p1 is one that doesn't have booked workings either, but it is very useful if on a train from the Worcester direction and said train needs looping to allow XC to pass. Only had it happen to me once so far, which was a huge plus for me as it had been a curiosity on my wishlist for a long time. So while it gets ad-hoc use, it's definitely not one you'll be able to plan for.

I think I noted you had issues with Acton Bridge too. When I travelled through there a few times last year, it was standard practice for the xx05 from Liverpool Lime Street to Birmingham New Street to pull into the loop platform to allow Avanti to pass. I don't know if you have done it since, but it does get used. Not 100% sure on it being booked to do so, but it always happened to me so I guess so!

Looking forward to more from you when they're up, I've got a hectic few days ahead so I may be slow to respond/read but I'm certainly curious.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Worcester Shrub Hill had a random Saturday morning starter from the bay before Covid hit. Think it was around 08:40 and carried on to Westbury.

gcmozart

I am very much enjoying reading these reports of your quest, pleaase do keep posting as and when you can.

Apologies if i have missed it, but could you give a brief idea of your realtime progress - fully appreciate if that is not something you want to do

Good luck for your contimued progress

Failed Unit

Established Member
I guess as the original poster said. A mega challenge.

Lincoln platform 1 springs to minds. But previously Spalding could be a real pain on the rear, as the often just used 1 platform.

Good luck. Hopefully you will get a few wins to help you out such as a platform alteration to terminate in platform 1 at Lincoln.

All platforms

Yet more good reads, and I see you've done really well so far!

Hereford's p4, if you haven't been made aware already, currently has zero booked workings all week. On certain occasions, when the line is blocked south of Hereford, then it very occasionally gets used by a TfW train but it's extremely unusual and I've barely seen it used or even bewn aware of it being used much in the last year.

Similar for Worcester Shrub Hill's p3, it used to have a booked service on Sundays and even then it only happened if services ran in their correct order. With the current reduced service timetables, there's no use for it right now and I wouldn't consider it going on your list to do. Which does make Shrub Hill a little easier as it's just 1a/1b and 2a/2b. Thankfully Foregate Street, just 50 chains away and can be walked in 10 minutes if needs be, is a nice and simple two platform affair.

Bromsgrove p1 is one that doesn't have booked workings either, but it is very useful if on a train from the Worcester direction and said train needs looping to allow XC to pass. Only had it happen to me once so far, which was a huge plus for me as it had been a curiosity on my wishlist for a long time. So while it gets ad-hoc use, it's definitely not one you'll be able to plan for.

I think I noted you had issues with Acton Bridge too. When I travelled through there a few times last year, it was standard practice for the xx05 from Liverpool Lime Street to Birmingham New Street to pull into the loop platform to allow Avanti to pass. I don't know if you have done it since, but it does get used. Not 100% sure on it being booked to do so, but it always happened to me so I guess so!

Looking forward to more from you when they're up, I've got a hectic few days ahead so I may be slow to respond/read but I'm certainly curious.
No worries.. I am a bit miffed about Hereford p4 because i don't have it in my notes for some reason. Good to know about it however, and so it goes in the book. I did visit Hereford in October but i arrived at chucking out time at the local academy and p3 was absolutely rammed. I am sure this is why i didn't wander to the top of the platform when all would have become clear. Good call though - and to a previous poster who also mentioned it.

Worcester Shrub Hill p3 doesn't look long enough to take more than 2 carriages and so i was wondering what GW sets could actually squeeze on there if required. I did visit the station on Day 33 and at times it was quiet enough to have a chat with the dispatch team and who said it had been quite a while since it had been used. Never say never however. They also pointed out the dinky round signals for p1a suspended half way along the platform. There were only 2 possibilities to use this platform when i visited but i notice there are at least 6 currently.

There is usually 1 use a week at Bromsgrove p1 - Sundays 15.56 Shrub Hill to New Street. I did keep an eye on this for a week or two before attempting it in August but was foiled by the more usual p2 being use that day. I will have to return at some point to the West Midlands so fingers crossed.

If RTT is to be believed the Acton Bridge loop does see action on most days but the timings seem to be random - or it was when i looked at this last year. I will probably have a half a day out on the LNW Crewe to Liverpool at some stage if i have a random free afternoon. I might get lucky... Looks like you had the luck on your days out.

Last edited:

All platforms

Worcester Shrub Hill had a random Saturday morning starter from the bay before Covid hit. Think it was around 08:40 and carried on to Westbury.
Good to know it might pop again but does GWR have 2 car sets these days. It looks a squeeze for a 3 car set. My knowledge about the various set configurations is sadly lacking.

Last edited:

Andy Pacer

Established Member
This is all quite interesting. I myself have for the past 4 years or so been ticking off stations for boarding and/or alighting, its very time consuming (although I'm in no rush). I couldn't possibly envisage trying to get every platform as well but credit to you for giving it a go.

All platforms

I am very much enjoying reading these reports of your quest, pleaase do keep posting as and when you can.

Apologies if i have missed it, but could you give a brief idea of your realtime progress - fully appreciate if that is not something you want to do

Good luck for your contimued progress
Good to hear and thankyou. I am not sure how many times this particular "quest" has been done before, and i just wanted to keep a record of how i am doing. Should have started posting last year of course but procrastination won out until now.

For the record i am a couple of completed stations shy of 20% at the moment. There will be a number of unavoidable lengthy stays away from home to do this in a remotely efficient manner and if there will be a stumbling block there it is.

All platforms

I guess as the original poster said. A mega challenge.

Lincoln platform 1 springs to minds. But previously Spalding could be a real pain on the rear, as the often just used 1 platform.

Good luck. Hopefully you will get a few wins to help you out such as a platform alteration to terminate in platform 1 at Lincoln.
Lincoln does have a few opportunities on a Saturday for p1 and not too early! I tend to look for the awkward ones and plan a day around them. However these rare platform do see timetable changes quite often, and there is no guarantee come May they will still be there - or conversely there may be more. I was hoping to do that part of the country later this year so fingers crossed.

I have been to Spalding and was lucky with platform 2. The stairs between the 2 platforms are beyond infested with pidgeon muck. They really need to do something here. I did wonder whether nearly everything is routed via platform 1 because of this. Day 51 it was by the way.

All platforms

This is all quite interesting. I myself have for the past 4 years or so been ticking off stations for boarding and/or alighting, its very time consuming (although I'm in no rush). I couldn't possibly envisage trying to get every platform as well but credit to you for giving it a go.
My original goal was all timetabled platforms. Then i added alighting and setting down at all stations for the walk in/out single platforms that would otherwise preclude it, and more recently i have added timetabled PSUL lines too so there will be lots to go at. My main goal however is the all platforms one. The PSUL goal is probably going to extend into a 6th year but its too early to be sure. Lets see how i get on this year as i travel further afield.

All platforms

Day 29: Saturday 05/06/2021 - West Midlands Day Ranger £19 with senor railcard - Valid all day at Weekends. CP £4.50 at Marmion St Tamworth.
Total time 648 mins - Time on trains 186 mins and time waiting 362 mins. Stations completed today 6. Total completed 234.

I have a little time free so here we go again.

Today was Polesworth day - the one train a day offering going North West. The weekday stops seemed a little early even for me so saturday it was at a more reasonable 7.21. At that time the alightinging/setting down requirement was not even a smile on my cheery face, so it didn't matter which opton - in the end i felt i wanted to walk in. Under my criteria it had to be from another station so it was a 10 minute walk from the Car Park i used to Tamworth station and then part reversing before starting the long slog up the hill on the road to Polesworth. I do not count myself as particularly fit and so was happy to make it to the top without pause. A quick check of the watch showed i was ahead on time so carried on after a swig of water. In fact i arrived 20 minutes before the train was due. Not much to explore at Polesworth. It is adjacent to some houses and despite being the only person waiting when i arrived there were 4 more people by the time the train arrived. At least 2 of them were bagging stations that day with cameras being put to goood use.

Back at Tamworth in 4 mins compared to the 90 minutes walk just undertaken from there. My 2 non companions were busy consulting their phones with 1 of them electing to go to Wilnecote which was my also next stop. I however chose to reverse course and the next thing on my agenda was taking out some WCML platforms at Atherstone and Nuneaton before a brief diversion to Coleshill Parkway and back.

It was turning out to be an extraordinarily hot day and my timings at Long Buckby coincided with peak warmth. Perhaps i shouldn't have brought that second jumper haha. In retrospect my visits to Rugby Northampton and Coventry were not efficiently done, as i have replicated many platforms subsequently. But then, how far in advance can you plan??

Rugby p3 is not timetabled in normal circumstance so it gets a pass on my standard criteria - but it does get used sometimes when engineering works can be seen North of here on the WCML. I have just noticed that 4 car LNW units are using it Sunday 06/02/2022 in the afternoon as a base to shuttle to/from London Euston. I will do my best to visit...

No mishaps today and some groundwork done at Rugby and Northampton in particular.

Marmion St CP TamworthDepart
5.20​
*****n/astationsplatforms
Walk to TamworthArrive
5.30​
n/an/a10 minscompletedcompleted
Walk to PolesworthDepart
5.30​
n/an/a90 minsat completed
PolesworthArrive
7.00​
n/an/await 21mstations
PolesworthDepart
7.21​
SingleLM
1​
1​
TamworthArrive
7.25​
P1LMwait 38m
TamworthDepart
8.03​
P4XC
WilnecoteArrive
8.06​
P1XCwait 58m
WilnecoteDepart
9.04​
P2XC
1​
2​
TamworthArrive
9.07​
P3XCwait 12m
1​
4​
TamworthDepart
9.19​
P2LM
NuneatonArrive
9.33​
P5LMwait 25m
NuneatonDepart
9.58​
P2LM
AtherstoneArrive
10.04​
P1LMwait 24m
AtherstoneDepart
10.28​
P2LM
1​
2​
NuneatonArrive
10.33​
P5LMwait 14m
NuneatonDepart
10.47​
P6XC
Coleshill ParkwayArrive
11.01​
P1XCwait 7m
Coleshill ParkwayDepart
11.08​
P2XC
1​
2​
NuneatonArrive
11.21​
P7XCwait 14m
NuneatonDepart
11.35​
P5LM
RugbyArrive
11.49​
P5LMwait 10m
RugbyDepart
11.59​
P5LM
NorthamptonArrive
12.23​
P1LMwait 14m
NorthamptonDepart
12.37​
P4LM
Long BuckbyArrive
12.47​
P2LMwait 22m
Long BuckbyDepart
13.09​
P1LM
1​
2​
NorthamptonArrive
13.19​
P1LMwait 67m
NorthamptonDepart
14.26​
P2LM
RugbyArrive
14.48​
P2LMwait 4m
RugbyDepart
14.52​
P1VT
CoventryArrive
15.02​
P3VTwait 20m
CoventryDepart
15.22​
P2LM
RugbyArrive
15.31​
P6LMwait 12m
RugbyDepart
15.43​
P2LM
TamworthArrive
16.08​
*****LM

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 30: Tuesday 08/06/2021 - West Midlands Day Ranger £19.00 with senior railcard - Valid after 9.00am Weekdays. CP £4.50 Marmion St Tamworth
Total time today 517 mins - Time on trains 179 mins and time waiting 338 mins. Stations completed today 6. Total completed 240.

Another day based at Birmingham New Street to continue the mammoth task of 37 platforms whilst at the same time picking off some new stations. In the end 5 ticks at New Street and another 6 elsewhere. I have included Wolverhampton as complete now given that p6 is no longer timetabled and the other oddball was to get back to Tamworth via the elusive Water Orton p2. It did mean a slightly later finish than i might have liked but it was the only way to achieve this. Tick and tick.

Not a particularly memorable day - what day based at New Street can be, but again targets met for the day counts as a win.

TamworthDepart
9.33​
*****XCplatform notstationsplatforms
Birmingham New StreetArrive
9.54​
P10aXCwait 14mtimetabledcompletedcompleted
Birmingham New StreetDepart
10.08​
P7bWMat completed
Dudley PortArrive
10.23​
P2WMwait 12mstations
Dudley PortDepart
10.35​
P1WM
1​
2​
Smethwick Rolfe StreetArrive
10.43​
P1WMwait 4m
Smethwick Rolfe StreetDepart
10.47​
P2WM
1​
2​
WolverhamptonArrive
11.06​
P5WMwait 39m
WolverhamptonDepart
11.45​
P4VTP6 not TT
1​
5​
12.04​
P2VTwait 49m
12.53​
P5LM
Birmingham InternationalArrive
13.03​
P5LMwait 28m
Birmingham InternationalDepart
13.31​
P3LM
1​
5​
13.43​
P4bLMwait 7m
13.50​
P10bWM
UniversityArrive
13.57​
P2WMwait 3m
UniversityDepart
14.00​
P1WM
1​
2​
14.07​
P10bWMwait 12m
14.19​
P10aXC
TamworthArrive
14.34​
P3XCwait 16m
TamworthDepart
14.50​
P4XC
15.06​
P11XCwait 9m
15.15​
P12WM
Five WaysArrive
15.19​
P2WMwait 19m
Five WaysDepart
15.38​
P1WM
15.42​
P8WMwait 87m
17.09​
P8aXC
Water OrtonArrive
17.21​
P1XCwait 39m
Water OrtonDepart
18.00​
P2XC
1​
2​
TamworthArrive
18.10​
*****XC

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 31: Tuesday 22/06/2021 - Settle & Carlisle Day Ranger £22.25 with senior railcard - Valid anytime. CP free at Hellifield.
Total time today 712 mins - Time on trains 327 mins and time waiting 385 mins. Stations completed today 6. Total completed 246.

A day i had been waiting for. I had never done this line in the daytime before and what a day i chose!

A line not known for its abundance of trains and picking an itinerary that worked over 2 separate days proved to be a little thorny. However i arrived at Hellifield good and early for the first train only to realise it was bloody freezing. A quck check showed a balmy 2 Degrees Celcius. What the heck?

What can i say about this line that hasn't been said many time before. Truly breathtaking at times. I pretty much had the first train to myself and alighted at Ribblehead to be greeted with the warming sun and a fabulous vista. I had over 30 minutes to explore which i did with pleasure lapping up the views and scenery. Seeing both departing and arriving trains go over the viaduct was also a highlight. A barrow crossing here was also a bonus.

A couple of runners joined me on the return South for one stop - they were going to run over the fells back to Ribblehead. Each to their own, but i did envy them that ability to do so. Time for a bacon butty at the station cafe at Skipton that was doing a brisk business with rail staff in particular.

The train North was much busier, staffed as it was with walkers in all hues and configurations and most departing before i got to my next stop at Appleby. An almost 2 hour wait, so i had time to explore at length and re-acquaint myself with this lovely town. It was turning out to be a scorching day so time for my first ice cream of the year though i forget what my choice was now.

The three most northerly stations on the line can be the most problematic to fit in and so i took a chance at Langwathby with a 5 min change over from platform to platform, which thankfully worked out. A day of waits today only matched by the Heart of Wales line i think. I was super pleased that it all went to plan although i won't return until 2022 to complete the job. So lucky with the weather too, not a cloud in the sky till late efternoon.

HellifieldDepart
6.14​
*****NTstationsplatforms
RibbleheadArrive
6.36​
P2NTwait 37mcompletedcompleted
RibbleheadDepart
7.13​
P1NT
1​
2​
SkiptonArrive
7.51​
P2NTwait 36m
SkiptonDepart
8.27​
P3NT
ApplebyArrive
9.49​
P2NTwait 112m
ApplebyDepart
11.41​
P1NT
1​
2​
GarsdaleArrive
12.06​
P1NTwait 73m
GarsdaleDepart
13.19​
P2NT
1​
2​
Lazonby & GarsdaleArrive
14.07​
P2NTwait 72m
Lazonby & GarsdaleDepart
15.19​
P1NT
1​
2​
LangwathbyArrive
15.25​
P1NTwait 5m
LangwathbyDepart
15.30​
P2NT
1​
2​
ArmathwaiteArrive
15.42​
P2NTwait 50m
ArmathwaiteDepart
16.32​
P1NT
1​
2​
HellifieldArrive
18.06​
*****NT

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 32: Thursday 24/06/2021 - Cheshire Day Ranger £17.10 - Valid after 9.00am Weekdays. CP free at New Mills Newtown
Total time today 540 mins - Time on trains 218 mins and time waiting 322 mins. Stations completed today 12. Total completed 258.

Trying to keep maximum interest by choosing a different line today although it is one i have done many years ago. The aim is to tick off the 11 stations on the line and perhaps another one if time permits. It does.

Leaving bang on 9.00am a flurry of quick hits found me back at new Mills Newtown after a delay or cancellation - can't remember which now and a wait of over 40 minutes. Time for an explore and yet another chippy. I think this was my last for quite a while and certainly not the best.

The delay/cancellation meant i now had to think on the fly and still include the awkward Buxton P1 which only has one offering in social hours so after a zigzag down the line i ended up at Levenshulme in time to get back to Stockport for the 14.19 all the way up to Buxton. An enforced wait here for the 16.00 p1 departure was no hardship as Buxton is a lovely place. Just 2 more stations to complete the set for the day the last of which is Middlewood. This is a station essentially on a walking/cycle way with no public vehicular access. No shortage of people on the bridge above the station - it must be a very popular route for walkists and cyclists.

One last bounce via Hazel Grove which had been ticked off earlier and back to Newtown. Disaster however as my car keys were awol. I found out later i had somehow contrived to leave them on the first strain after lunch and i picked them up the next morning from lost property at Manchester Piccadilly. Doh! Meantime a trek out for number 3 son to bring the spare set of keys. The start of a kinda habit it turns out.

New Mills NewtownDepart
9.00​
*****NTstationsplatforms
Whaley BridgeArrive
9.05​
P1NTwait 11mcompletedcompleted
Whaley BridgeDepart
9.16​
P2NT
1​
2​
Furness ValeArrive
9.19​
P2NTwait 22m
Furness ValeDepart
9.41​
P1NT
1​
2​
Chapel-en-le-FrithArrive
9.50​
P1NTwait 18m
Chapel-en-le-FrithDepart
10.08​
P2NT
1​
2​
New Mills NewtownArrive
10.21​
NTwait 17m
New Mills NewtownDepart
10.38​
NT
1​
2​
Dove HolesArrive
10.56​
P1NTwait 8m
Dove HolesDepart
11.04​
P2NT
1​
2​
DisleyArrive
11.25​
P2NTwait 10m
DisleyDepart
11.35​
P1NT
1​
2​
New Mills NewtownArrive
11.38​
NTwait 43m
New Mills NewtownDepart
12.21​
NT
DavenportArrive
12.39​
P2NTwait 27m
DavenportDepart
13.06​
P1NT
1​
2​
Hazel GroveArrive
13.10​
P1NTwait 24m
Hazel GroveDepart
13.34​
P2NT
1​
2​
LevenshulmeArrive
13.50​
P2NTwait 4m
LevenshulmeDepart
13.54​
P1NT
1​
2​
StockportArrive
14.00​
P1NTwait 19m
StockportDepart
14.19​
P1NT
BuxtonArrive
15.03​
P2NTwait 57m
BuxtonDepart
16.00​
P1NT
1​
2​
WoodsmoorArrive
16.37​
NTwait 7m
WoodsmoorDepart
16.44​
NT
1​
2​
MiddlewoodArrive
16.51​
P1NTwait 40m
MiddlewoodDepart
17.31​
P2NT
1​
2​
Hazel GroveArrive
17.34​
P2NTwait 15m
Hazel GroveDepart
17.49​
P1NT
New Mills NewtownArrive
18.00​
*****NT

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 33: Saturday 26/06/2021 - West Midlands Day Ranger £19.00 with senior railcard - Valid all day at Weekends. CP £3.50 Tallow Hill Worcester.
Total time today 586 mins - Time on trains 158 mins and time waiting 428 mins. Stations completed 8. Total completed 266.

It started so well! It made sense to start at Foregate Street as this could be knocked out quite easily later on and therefore left me to concentrate on Shrub Hill having 6 variants with p3 not timetabled. A delay at the start due to an incident on the train prior to Worcester but i was not affected apart from a longer wait than necessatry at the start. The stations to Hereford were also a target as was Hartlebury Droitwich Spa and a couple at Bromsgrove.

Today was memorable for a heroic wait at Foregate Street due to the cancellation of a Hereford train late morning. A very successful morning prior to that with nothing much of note to report, although i found Colwall to be full of interest for the whole 15 minutes i was there.

Time to explore Worcester then on another hot day. I may have been unlucky and been on the wrong side of town but after an hour with nothing of value to report i sat down on a shady park bench with a cold drink and a sandwich, and maybe a small doze.

After 2 and half hours i was ready to start again with another hour plus wait at Shrub Hill to ensure i got the more awkward of the platforms, p1a and off to Great Malvern on a GWR service. A small wait and off to Ledbury before returning to Great Malvern where i discovered the very excellent tea rooms there. A slice of cake did me the power of good before boarding the train back to Foregate Street.

Despite the combined near 4 hour waits in Worcester i did achieve what i wanted except of course Hereford which i could tackle from the other side at a different time. Not sure i would want to do this again anytime soon however.

Worcester Foregate StreetDepart
6.08​
*****GWplatform notstationsplatforms
Worcester Shrub HillArrive
6.10​
P2GWwait 20mtimetabledcompletedcompleted
Worcester Shrub HillDepart
6.30​
P1bWMat completed
Malvern LinkArrive
6.40​
P1WMwait 14mstations
Malvern LinkDepart
6.54​
P2GW
1​
2​
7.08​
P1GWwait 12m
7.20​
P2bWM
HartleburyArrive
7.35​
P1WMwait 14m
HartleburyDepart
7.49​
P2WM
1​
2​
Droitwich SpaArrive
7.55​
P1WMwait 37m
Droitwich SpaDepart
8.32​
P2WM
1​
2​
BromsgroveArrive
8.40​
P2WMwait 32m
BromsgroveDepart
9.12​
P4WM
ColwallArrive
9.49​
SingleWMwait 15m
1​
1​
ColwallDepart
10.04​
SingleWM
Worcester Foregate StreetArrive
10.21​
P2WMwait 156m
Worcester Foregate StreetDepart
12.57​
P1GW
1​
2​
12.59​
P2aGWwait 75m
14.14​
P1aGWP3
1​
6​
Great MalvernArrive
14.29​
P2GWwait 16m
Great MalvernDepart
14.45​
P2WM
LedburyArrive
14.55​
P2WMwait 4m
LedburyDepart
14.59​
P1WM
1​
2​
Great MalvernArrive
15.09​
P1WMwait 33m
1​
2​
Great MalvernDepart
15.42​
P1GW
Worcester Foregate StreetArrive
15.54​
*****GW

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 34: Sunday 04/07/2021 - Greater Manchester Rail Ranger £7.40 with senior railcard - Valid all day at Weekends. CP free at Dinting.
Total time today 449 mins - Time on trains 175 mins and time waiting 274 mins. Stations completed today 10. Total completed 276.

A day out nearer to my home base. No idea now why i chose Dinting as the start/finish point however. The service patterns were probably favourable and i certainly got off to a solid start. Not a line i would crave to revisit with many stations in need of some/a lot of TLC.

The Dinting Hadfield Glossop triangle is an odd one with 3 reversals to get back to the leaving point of the triangle which is always Dinting of course. I have talked about p1 at Dinting before which is the awkward one.

The day dragged by err continued without incident until i was dropped off at the wonderfully named Broadbottom. There an increasing number of men and boys with a great variety of cameras and tripods started to turn up. had they heard i was doing this epic journey and wanted to take some pics for posterity? The truth was rather more exciting as there was a steam charter coming up the line that appeared to be delayed. Apparently it was being held in a loop at Guide Bridge. Anyway i had to depart before it arrrived though i did get a glimpse as we passed at some speed before i got to Ashburys my next stop. Pity that. I never did get to see it again as after a trip to Gorton i had completed the stations for the day and so resolved to tick off a few more at Manchester Piccadilly before heading back.

I never did get to find what the charter was or the engine in question.

DintingDepart
10.00​
*****NTstationsplatforms
Newton for HydeArrive
10.10​
NTwait 6mcompletedcompleted
Newton for HydeDepart
10.16​
NT
1​
2​
GlossopArrive
10.31​
SingleNTwait 20m
1​
1​
GlossopDepart
10.51​
SingleNT
GodleyArrive
11.03​
P1NTwait 17m
GodleyDepart
11.20​
P2NT
1​
2​
DintingArrive
11.30​
P2NTwait 28m
1​
2​
DintingDepart
11.58​
P2NT
HattersleyArrive
12.04​
NTwait 18m
HattersleyDepart
12.22​
NT
1​
2​
HadfieldArrive
12.41​
SingleNTwait 4m
1​
1​
HadfieldDepart
12.45​
SingleNT
Flowery FieldArrive
13.09​
P1NTwait 8m
Flowery FieldDepart
13.17​
P2NT
1​
2​
BroadbottomArrive
13.25​
NTwait 37m
BroadbottomDepart
14.02​
NT
1​
2​
AshburysArrive
14.19​
NTwait 48m
AshburysDepart
15.07​
NT
1​
2​
GortonArrive
15.09​
NTwait 10m
GortonDepart
15.19​
NT
1​
2​
Manchester PiccadillyArrive
15.26​
P2NTwait 29m
Manchester PiccadillyDepart
15.55​
P7VT
StockportArrive
16.02​
P2VTwait 15m
StockportDepart
16.17​
P3XC
Manchester PiccadillyArrive
16.29​
P6XCwait 34m
Manchester PiccadillyDepart
17.03​
P2NT
DintingArrive
17.29​
*****NT

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 35: Tuesday 06/07/2021 - East Midlands Rover £63.50 3 in 7 days - Valid after 9.00am Weekdays. Day 1 of 3. CP £4.50 at Marmion St Tamworth.
Total time today 484 mins - Time on trains 166 mins and time waiting 318 mins. Stations completed today 4. Total completed 280.

A mainly Cross Country day today with just 1 bit of East Midlands traction after midday. The aim was to complete the remaining stations on the Derby and Leicester lines from Tamworth and Nuneaton. Lines i had never travelled on before. I was looking forward to this one despite the bounce backs being a feature of the day. Looking at RTT again today these 2 lines now seem a doddle but trust me this was not easy back then with 2 hour service patterns for these stations and gapping to boot. It was also the cheapest way to do these out of the way stations.

So, off to Derby before bouncing back to Willington and then Burton-on-Trent, before travelling to Leicester past some stations that will no doubt prove to be awkward in due course. Then came the Leicester shuffle to Narborough and then South Wigston. A final trip down the line to Nuneaton and then back to Tamworth.

Nothing sticks ijn the memory about today other than the enforced bounce backs.

TamworthDepart
9.08​
*****XCstationsplatforms
DerbyArrive
9.31​
P4aXCwait 11mcompletedcompleted
DerbyDepart
9.42​
P3aXCat completed
WillingtonArrive
9.53​
P2XCwait 31mstations
WillingtonDepart
10.25​
P1XC
1​
2​
DerbyArrive
10.33​
P4aXCwait 8m
DerbyDepart
10.41​
P3aXC
Burton-on-TrentArrive
10.50​
P2XCwait 30m
Burton-on-TrentDepart
11.20​
P1XC
1​
2​
DerbyArrive
11.32​
P4aXCwait 37m
DerbyDepart
12.09​
P6EM
LeicesterArrive
12.28​
P3EMwait 50m
LeicesterDepart
13.18​
P1XC
NarboroughArrive
13.27​
P2XCwait 11m
NarboroughDepart
13.38​
P1XC
1​
2​
LeicesterArrive
13.48​
P1XCwait 29m
LeicesterDepart
14.17​
P1XC
South WigstonArrive
14.25​
XCwait 79m
South WigstonDepart
15.44​
XC
1​
2​
LeicesterArrive
15.50​
P1XCwait 27m
LeicesterDepart
16.17​
P1XC
NuneatonArrive
16.53​
P6XCwait 5m
NuneatonDepart
16.58​
P2LM
TamworthArrive
17.12​
*****LM

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 36: Friday 09/07/2021 - East Midlands Rover £63.50 3 in 7 days with senior railcard - Valid after 9.00am Weekdays. Day 2 of 3. Anytime Single £10.45 Rugby to Milton Keynes. Offpeak Rtn £1.70 Coventry to Canley. Offpeak Rtn £1.90 Coventry to Tile Hill. CP free at Premier Inn Rugby Newbold.
Total time 837 mins - Time on trains 372 mins and time waiting 465 mins. Stations completed today 9. Total completed 289.

Time to venture further afield and stay overnight. P3 and 4 are a little awkward to do at Nuneaton and certainly were back then. Perhaps i will find things easier this summer with proper timetables back to what they should be.

Looking at it again in the cold light of day this itinerary bounces all over the place but with multiple conflicting goals to try and achieve this is the best i could come up with at the time.

Basing myself at Rugby and staying overnight there with a brisk walk to/from my Hotel unavoidable. Perhaps i am a cheapskate with parking but the cost mounts up for sure. A civilised start time but before 9.00am so i had to pay for an extra ticket to Milton Keynes Central. It looks bonkers easy to do today but i had to take the whole day into account. Back to Rugby and then to complete the 2 stations just beyond Coventry as i was unlikely to be here again anytime soon. In any event it filled in time before i headed back to Rugby before ticking off another 2 at Milton Keynes.

As i have said elsewehere i do like the LNW trains. Plenty of room, Comfy(ish) and no messing about between stations. I would be attempting the Marston Vale line tomorrow which was entirley doable without delays or cancellations, except for 1 station which would have to be done separately. So i fitted in a visit to Lidlington in between catching 4 separate platforms at Bletchley, and 2 at Wolverton. The fast lines are not timetabled except when the slow lines are out of commission so i have 2 exceptions here and at Wolverton to account for. I will probably come back and do them at a later date if possible.

Its 6pm by the time i arrive at Nuneaton p3 then a trek to Coventry to get a return back to Rugby p4 which completes the station (bar the not timetabled p3). How convoluted this is becoming. By this time i had got rather wet - just about the ony time i did and headed for the hotel for a change of clothes. Luckliy it had stopped raining ands so retruned to the station to go back yet again to Nuneaton and take in the delights of Hinckley something i had missed the previous day. Here i was regaled from the other platform by a drunken couple oblivious of me in the dark. Anyway i now know much more than i would want to about her affair and how lacking her husband was. You get to see and hear all sorts of things...

One final wait at Nuneaton for the Avanti back to Rugby from p4 for a 10.30pm finish. Too late for a beer too.

RugbyDepart
8.36​
*****LMplatform notstationsplatforms
Milton Keynes CentralArrive
8.57​
P5LMwait 25mtimetabledcompletedcompleted
Milton Keynes CentralDepart
9.22​
P6LMat completed
RugbyArrive
9.44​
P1LMwait 16mstations
RugbyDepart
10.00​
P1LM
CanleyArrive
10.13​
P1LMwait 7m
CanleyDepart
10.20​
P2LM
1​
2​
CoventryArrive
10.22​
P1LMwait 28m
CoventryDepart
10.50​
P3LM
Tile HillArrive
10.56​
P1LMwait 20m
Tile HillDepart
11.16​
P2LM
1​
2​
RugbyArrive
11.32​
P5LMwait 20m
RugbyDepart
11.52​
P5LM
12.14​
P4LMwait 7m
12.21​
P3LM
WolvertonArrive
12.24​
P3LMwait 14m
WolvertonDepart
12.38​
P4LMP1 P2
1​
2​
BletchleyArrive
12.50​
P4LMwait 26m
BletchleyDepart
14.16​
P6LM
LidlingtonArrive
14.38​
P2LMwait 53m
LidlingtonDepart
15.31​
P1LM
1​
2​
BletchleyArrive
15.52​
P5LMwait 23m
BletchleyDepart
16.15​
P3LMP1 P2
1​
4​
16.19​
P3LMwait 24m
17.43​
P6VT
NuneatonArrive
18.09​
P3VTwait 7m
NuneatonDepart
18.16​
P1WM
CoventryArrive
18.37​
P2WMwait 17m
CoventryDepart
18.54​
P1VT
1​
4​
RugbyArrive
19.03​
P4VTwait 101mP3
1​
5​
RugbyDepart
20.44​
P2LM
NuneatonArrive
20.55​
P2LMwait 29m
NuneatonDepart
21.24​
P7XC
HinckleyArrive
21.29​
P1XCwait 9m
HinckleyDepart
21.38​
P2XC
1​
2​
NuneatonArrive
21.43​
P6XCwait 39m
NuneatonDepart
22.22​
P4VT
1​
7​
RugbyArrive
22.33​
*****VT

Last edited:

All platforms

Day 37: Saturday 10/07/2021 - East Midlands Rover £63.50 3 in 7 days - Valid all day at Weekends. Day 3 of 3. CP free at Albert Road South Bletchley.
Total time today 821 mins - Time on trains 211 mins and time waiting 610 mins. Stations completed today 5. Total completed 294.

Well, i had the day all planned perfectly. An early start to tick off P3 at Northampton then back in time for the first train fo the day on the Marston Vale line. The service pattern was much better on a saturday with a more compressed timetable than weekdays but still irregular with more replacement buses than trains. The class 230 they use on this line is, i am sure you are all aware is converted from Underground stock and which has, to my eyes, strangely configured seating. No matter, i was hoping to spend the rest of the day bashing up and down the line to Bedford.

First stop was to be Stewartby and i was duly deposited at the station at 8.28. I would return at14.17 after having spent the intervening time first watching the delayed return speed past without stopping. Clearly there was a problem and when the next train was also cancelled i began to wonder what to do. Eventually a Rail Replecement Bus turned up which then called at all the stations back to Bletchley taking over an hour. By this time it was past midday and the next train to Bedford was also cancelled. What to do? I worked out i could complete Milton Keynes Central and be back for the 14.08 service. With my ticket i had little option but to sit it out and hope.

Thankfully the 14.08 did turn up with a replacement unit (i think they have 3 in total) and so started the journey again. I resolved to do the most time consuming stations in the middle of the line given how nice a day it was and whilst it would involve waiting for the best part of an hour if not more for each service, i am nothing but a gluttony for punishment. I had a late pass at home so i could take in 5 stations.

I had a lovely surprise at Ridgmont where the tea rooms were still open (just) so more cake and a cold drink were very welcome. Lovely spot and well worth a visit if in the area. A wonderful tribute to Sir Tom Moore was seen at Millbrook with a great likeness pressed out of the back of a station seat. Very impressive.

Back to Bletchley because of a gap in service and then one final outing to Aspley Guise which was wonderful. For me it was the best time of the day. The oppressive heat had gone and it was just very restful to see the wildlife from the platform as dusk very slowly started to approach. After waving away the last replacement Bus service it was back to Bletchley and what seemed a very long haul back up the M6 but thankfully devoid of much traffic.

A liitle mixed as to how i feel about the trip. I had achieved so much in the last 2 days but still a little miffed about the missing five and a half hours. RTT shows a much better rail service on saturdays now, especially in the afternoon so it shouldn't be quite as time consuming to complete.

Edit: 22 Jan 2022 - I have just realised i haven't accounted for the South facing Bay Platform at Milton Keynes Central - P2a. Somehow missed at the planning stage and also on my station wanders on the 3 times i visited!!

BletchleyDepart
6.33​
*****LMplatform notstationsplatforms
NorthamptonArrive
6.53​
P3LMwait 12mtimetabledcompletedcompleted
NorthamptonDepart
7.05​
P1LMat completed
BletchleyArrive
7.25​
P4LMwait 37mstations
BletchleyDepart
8.02​
P5LM
StewartbyArrive
8.28​
P2LMwait 152m
Stewartby - trains cancDepart
11.00​
*****RRS
Bletchley - trains cancArrive
12.01​
*****RRSwait 41m
BletchleyDepart
12.42​
P3LM
12.47​
P2LMwait 35m
13.22​
P1LMP2a
1​
6​
BletchleyArrive
13.25​
P4LMwait 43m
BletchleyDepart
14.08​
P6LM
StewartbyArrive
14.17​
P2LMwait 59m
StewartbyDepart
15.16​
P1LM
1​
2​
RidgmontArrive
15.26​
P1LMwait 53m
RidgmontDepart
16.19​
P2LM
1​
2​
MillbrookArrive
16.26​
P2LMwait 44m
MillbrookDepart
17.10​
P1LM
1​
2​
BletchleyArrive
17.34​
P6LMwait 57m
BletchleyDepart
18.31​
P6LM
Aspley GuiseArrive
18.44​
P1LMwait 77m
Aspley GuiseDepart
20.01​
P2LM
1​
2​
BletchleyArrive
20.14​
*****LM

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
Those are some incredibly long waits between trains so hats off to you!

I can't really say if there'd have been a better solution given the pandemic. I know some people start at one end of a branch, go to the penultimate station at the other end, then come back to the second station then ping back and forth to a middle station in an attempt to make the waits very short.

All platforms

Those are some incredibly long waits between trains so hats off to you!

I can't really say if there'd have been a better solution given the pandemic. I know some people start at one end of a branch, go to the penultimate station at the other end, then come back to the second station then ping back and forth to a middle station in an attempt to make the waits very short.
Its a very sound practise but service patterns on the branch are also key especially if its not single line. The ones that are the most pain in the backside are the crossing station ones be it single or double. Its a bit sporty to plan anything with a 1 or 2 minute window to swap platforms especially if the rest the day is toast because of 1 missed train. For 3 or 4 minute connections it also best to know how to cross to the other platform. There are some that are just a level crossing which means its just impossible. Other stations require quite a hike to walk out, around and back in again. By and large however the nearer to the middle you get the longer the waits. Do you take the waits early, late or mix it up. Personal preference wins out in the end i guess.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some long days there! Mega ouch to the issues on the Marston Vale line, a route I haven't touched for years and I keep forgetting about. I haven't seen a 230 yet let alone travelled on one, but I've seen and read plenty of opinions on them, mostly good to be fair. One day I will sample them!

The day spent in my local area was, understandably, of particular interest to me. Lady Foley's Tea Room at Great Malvern is indeed very nice, I haven't visited for quite some time as when I'm in the area it's usually well after closing time or other time it's closed. Colwall's a nice little village to have a walkabout, I did so last week when I went out for a required 802. Ledbury's a nice little town too, I've been too many times to count so I usually only use it for cycle rides or similar now.

Your visit to my city was indeed badly timed there, it gets chaotic when the schools and colleges all finish. Between 3pm and 5pm it can feel like feeding time at a zoo! Platform 4 is not timetabled for use in a normal week, much like Platform 6 at Wolverhampton. It is available for use, but only in certain circumstances so you'll be waiting a good long time for that one! Many years ago, it was in regular use by Central Trains with the 150s in use at the time. Quite, it was still used semi-regularly when 156s and 158s were frequent visitors, as they'd travel through Platform 3, past TGS (now MFA Bowling) and reverse into Platform 4 ready for an Arriva Trains Wales service to pass through first. These days, with platforms 1 and 2 bi-directionally signalled, there's much less need for West Midlands Railway services to reverse on the former diesel fuelling sidings to the south of the station, let alone use Platform 4.

If you haven't already been back to my city, please feel free to PM me and if I'm free that day I can quite happily show you around some of the highlights of the city or even just pop down with some tea/coffee. Plenty of knowledge to share about my home city, but I'd be taking this thread way off topic if I went into that!

Before I go and plan my big cycle ride for today, you'll find when you go to Cardiff Queen Street the bay platform is no longer in use, only the through platforms get used these days. Cardiff Central, if you get a chance pop outside the main entrance and admire the GWR station building. Also at Central, in the subway you'll see the tiled signage for platforms which suggest access to platforms 3, 4 and 5. 5 of course does not exist and has not done so for a very long time, but it's a nice little oddity still left in place.

I'm sure I'll think of other interesting bits on my old stomping grounds in South Wales later!

All platforms

Day 38: Tuesday 13/07/2021 - Lancashire Day Ranger £17.10 with senior railcard - Valid after 9.00am weekdays. CP free at Lostock Hall.
Total time today 538 mins - Time on trains 170 mins and time waiting 368 mins. Stations completed today 10. Total completed 304.

Keeping it more local today and some track that is new to me. Basing myself at Lostock Hall at the western end of the East lancashir line so to speak, i had a steady start and a straight forward bounce back and forward until i reached Blackburn. These included a request stop at Pleasington which is remote enough to fully understand why and it was pleasing (eh?) to see that someone had taken great effort to prettify the station with signs that had a wildlife background and other similarly themed posters about the the local area. Big tick. In fact posters and signs featuring the local area could be seen at a number of stations and it did lift the atmosphere somewhat. A small wooden train complete with 2 "carriages" made from barrels and stuffed full of colourful flowers at Church & Oswaldtwistle (Ossie to the locals) was worth a picture too.

The service patterms had only recently gone back to normal here so you takes your choice which route you take given the hourly service. Blackburn is not my favourite stopping off place - it just doesn't give off good vibes somehow, so i stepped outside to sample the local area only to be accosted by a friendly but persistent drunk. Perhaps waiting on the platform is a better idea.

A change of tack now as my main aim for the day was to complete the line down from Preston to Ormskirk. Most of this is single line and through a part of Lancashire which is new to me. Very flat for the most part with many isolated cottages or farms and quite a few level crossings. Class 150's with some 156's are the order of the day here and oiff we went to Rufford which is the only double track station and the start/finish of the single line sections either side. An instruction to "Return Token" is quite prominent at the end of the platfom going south. Just quite how overgrown the single line section was a surprise. It really did look like some abandoned lines i have seen over the years. 2021 certainly was the year for overly aggressive foliage.

Croston was next which had been made an oasis of smartened greenery by the friends of Croston Station on what would have been the second platform. Ormskirk is next which is one of two oddities in these parts (3 if you count Hunts Cross) where the electrified Mersey network meets the diesel centric Northern network. Just a buffer stop separates the 2 ends from memory. An enforced wait at Burscough Junction rounds out the station ticks - i chose to wait for the next train north rather than do extra bounce backs and explore instead. Perhaps i should have stayed on the train.

A bonus for the day was thaty i had also bagged 4 separate platforms at Preston in 4 visits. Back to Lostock Hall a whisker after 6pm.

Lostock HallDepart
9.04​
*****NTstationsplatforms
Bamber BridgeArrive
9.07​
P2NTwait 5mcompletedcompleted
Bamber BridgeDepart
9.12​
P1NT
1​
2​
Lostock HallArrive
9.14​
P1NTwait 49m
Lostock HallDepart
10.03​
P2NT
1​
2​
RishtonArrive
10.27​
P1NTwait 20m
RishtonDepart
10.47​
P2NT
1​
2​
PleasingtonArrive
11.02​
P2NTwait 12m
PleasingtonDepart
11.14​
P1NT
1​
2​
Mill Hill (Lancs)Arrive
11.19​
P1NTwait 37m
Mill Hill (Lancs)Depart
11.56​
P2NT
1​
2​
Cherry TreeArrive
11.58​
P2NTwait 19m
Cherry TreeDepart
12.17​
P1NT
1​
2​
Church & OswaldtwistleArrive
12.32​
P2NTwait 16m
Church & OswaldtwistleDepart
12.48​
P1NT
1​
2​
BlackburnArrive
12.54​
P4NTwait 60m
BlackburnDepart
13.54​
P4NT
PrestonArrive
14.18​
P4cNTwait 8m
PrestonDepart
14.26​
P3cNT
RuffordArrive
14.43​
NTwait 27m
RuffordDepart
15.10​
NT
1​
2​
CrostonArrive
15.15​
SingleNTwait 23m
1​
1​
CrostonDepart
15.38​
SingleNT
OrmskirkArrive
15.55​
P2NTwait 5m
OrmskirkDepart
16.00​
P2NT
Burscough JunctionArrive
16.04​
SingleNTwait 61m
1​
1​
Burscough JunctionDepart
17.05​
SingleNT
PrestonArrive
17.31​
P1NTwait 26m
PrestonDepart
17.57​
P2NT
Lostock HallArrive
18.02​
*****NT

Last edited:

All platforms

Some long days there! Mega ouch to the issues on the Marston Vale line, a route I haven't touched for years and I keep forgetting about. I haven't seen a 230 yet let alone travelled on one, but I've seen and read plenty of opinions on them, mostly good to be fair. One day I will sample them!

The day spent in my local area was, understandably, of particular interest to me. Lady Foley's Tea Room at Great Malvern is indeed very nice, I haven't visited for quite some time as when I'm in the area it's usually well after closing time or other time it's closed. Colwall's a nice little village to have a walkabout, I did so last week when I went out for a required 802. Ledbury's a nice little town too, I've been too many times to count so I usually only use it for cycle rides or similar now.

Your visit to my city was indeed badly timed there, it gets chaotic when the schools and colleges all finish. Between 3pm and 5pm it can feel like feeding time at a zoo! Platform 4 is not timetabled for use in a normal week, much like Platform 6 at Wolverhampton. It is available for use, but only in certain circumstances so you'll be waiting a good long time for that one! Many years ago, it was in regular use by Central Trains with the 150s in use at the time. Quite, it was still used semi-regularly when 156s and 158s were frequent visitors, as they'd travel through Platform 3, past TGS (now MFA Bowling) and reverse into Platform 4 ready for an Arriva Trains Wales service to pass through first. These days, with platforms 1 and 2 bi-directionally signalled, there's much less need for West Midlands Railway services to reverse on the former diesel fuelling sidings to the south of the station, let alone use Platform 4.

If you haven't already been back to my city, please feel free to PM me and if I'm free that day I can quite happily show you around some of the highlights of the city or even just pop down with some tea/coffee. Plenty of knowledge to share about my home city, but I'd be taking this thread way off topic if I went into that!

Before I go and plan my big cycle ride for today, you'll find when you go to Cardiff Queen Street the bay platform is no longer in use, only the through platforms get used these days. Cardiff Central, if you get a chance pop outside the main entrance and admire the GWR station building. Also at Central, in the subway you'll see the tiled signage for platforms which suggest access to platforms 3, 4 and 5. 5 of course does not exist and has not done so for a very long time, but it's a nice little oddity still left in place.

I'm sure I'll think of other interesting bits on my old stomping grounds in South Wales later!
Yes, Lady Foleys tearoom! I had forgotten what it was called. Possibly the best tearoom i have sampled so far though there are a couple of pubs too that would need a mention if thats your thing.

Unfortunately, I have already done Hereford - on Day 64 but thanks for the offer which is much appreciated. I did get out of the station for a scout around, and i also had a day there a few years ago as part of a holiday and very much enjoyed the city. Yes feeding time at the zoo is a good description. I have done all the stations thereabouts too so it may be some time before i get an other opportunity - well until this jaunt is finished anyway. I did wonder how they used to use p4. You dont see many instances of reversing into bays these days from what i have researched so far. Wolverhampton p6 would have been the only one that i knew about but it hasn't been used post covid and the service now goes from p1. Like all of these possibilities i just need to keep an eye open for engineeering works closing certain lines at certain times. My instinct is to do them at the latter stages when the end game is known - but i do have 2 possibilities next month i am considering. Rugby p3 06/02/2022 and Bolton p2 14 to 17 Feb.

I did read that p1 at Queen Street is out of commission because of "bridge issues" but never got the real story i think. Gone for good or another to keep an eye on next year? I am definitely looking forward to Cardiff and the South Wales lines. Dunno why, its always something i wanted to do.

Thanks for all the info and good luck on your cycle ride today - its a bit too chilly for these old bones..

Dai Corner

Established Member
I did read that p1 at Queen Street is out of commission because of "bridge issues" but never got the real story i think. Gone for good or another to keep an eye on next year? I am definitely looking forward to Cardiff and the South Wales lines. Dunno why, its always something i wanted to do.
I can confirm that Cardiff Queen Street P1 is inaccessible to trains at the moment. Cardiff Bay is being served by a shuttle to/from Coryton. Service patterns around Cardiff will change considerably with the part electrification and rebranding as 'South Wales Metro' and tram-trains from the Valleys will go to Cardiff Bay.

Whether P1 will be brought back into use I'm not sure.

All platforms

Day 39: Saturday 17/07/2021 - West Midlands Day Ranger £19.00 with senior railcard - Valid all day at Weekends. CP £5 No2 at Stafford
Total time today 755 mins - Time on trains 334 mins and time waiting 421 mins. Stations completed today 5. Total completed 309.

Todays objective was to knock out some awkward platforms at New Street then transfer my attentions to the line between Coventry and Leamington Spa before returning to New Street for more platform mayhem.

A very early start at Stafford so i could get a super rare offering at New Street but was scuppered by a platform alteration. No matter, these things happen. Out to Witton to maximise my time on the train on a previously done line and back to Birmingham to score big ticks on the arrival and departure including p6m. This is the one discussed previously where the dispatcher agreed it was booked to 6m but then wouldn't actually confirm it had landed there. I take it, as it met the criteria of straddling both a and b and booked as an M. One for the side quest.

More disappointment down the line as a required p5 failed to materialise at Northampton and so back to Coventry to sample the much reduced service down to Leamington. Another hot day as i recall and more time was spent hunting for shade than normal for me. As you may have guessed i am not a sun worshipper. A sparse service back then with long waits a feature but its good to see RTT shows the normal service has resumed.

Bedworth, or Bedd'th to the locals saw the first member of the public asking what i was doing. Did i look suspicious to him or was he just being friendly - or nosey. Anyway quite an interesting discussion ensued covering much ground and helped while away the time. A young mum turned up and joined in without missing a beat. There must be something in the tea hearabouts.

The rest of the day saw me attempting fresh parts of the New Street platform network but only 2 hits out of 6 so i would clearly have to return quite a few times.

StaffordDepart
5.24​
*****AWstationsplatforms
5.55​
P5bAWwait 32mcompletedcompleted
6.27​
P2aWMat completed
WittonArrive
6.36​
P2WMwait 8mstations
WittonDepart
6.44​
P1WM
6.57​
P3bWMwait 19m
7.16​
P6mLM
RugbyArrive
7.56​
P5LMwait 37m
RugbyDepart
8.33​
P5LM
NorthamptonArrive
8.56​
P3LMwait 18m
NorthamptonDepart
9.14​
P3LM
CoventryArrive
9.47​
P4LMwait 30m
CoventryDepart
10.17​
P4WM
Bermuda ParkArrive
10.33​
P1WMwait 48m
Bermuda ParkDepart
11.21​
P2WM
1​
2​
KenilworthArrive
11.44​
SingleWMwait 25m
1​
1​
KenilworthDepart
12.09​
SingleWM
BedworthArrive
12.29​
P1WMwait 56m
BedworthDepart
13.25​
P2WM
1​
2​
Coventry ArenaArrive
13.30​
P2WMwait 56m
Coventry ArenaDepart
14.26​
P1WM
1​
2​
NuneatonArrive
14.40​
P1WMwait 7m
NuneatonDepart
14.47​
P6XC
15.16​
P10aXCwait 17m
15.33​
P11bWM
BournvilleArrive
15.45​
P2WMwait 17m
BournvilleDepart
16.02​
P1WM
1​
2​
16.15​
P11bWMwait 24m
16.39​
P3aLM
StechfordArrive
16.46​
P2LMwait 7m
StechfordDepart
16.53​
P1LM
17.02​
P6aLMwait 20m
17.22​
P4cLM
StaffordArrive
17.59​
*****LM

Last edited:

All platforms

I can confirm that Cardiff Queen Street P1 is inaccessible to trains at the moment. Cardiff Bay is being served by a shuttle to/from Coryton. Service patterns around Cardiff will change considerably with the part electrification and rebranding as 'South Wales Metro' and tram-trains from the Valleys will go to Cardiff Bay.

Whether P1 will be brought back into use I'm not sure.
Ok thanks - good to know. I am looking forward to doing these lines before the electrification kicks in and then perhaps revisiting in a few years time once the tram trains are fully in use and everything upgraded.

I guess i will be adding in All Platforms - Tram version, in due course.