• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do antidepressants affect a job opportunity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
I'm sure you already have but reiterate to him that is health should be priority above that of a job opportunity. Depression is not something you want to put off dealing with as it could have serious implications for both him and yourself.

If he doesn't tell anyone about it and takes the job, he will be risking himself and his colleagues when in a safety critical environment. He will also leave himself open for dismissal should the company find out.

My (non professional) advice would be to get help with the depression first and foremost and declare it and any medication to the future employer....it has to be declared at the medical stage anyway assuming he hasn't had it already.

Last edited:

Carlisle

Established Member
There may be some value in the way your partner is thinking ,I heard a few years ago when I worked on the railway that the RMT had won a constructive or unfair dismissal case due to someone being told they were not allowed on the track whilst on antidepressants but then finding out later someone else was allowed in a similar situation ,the conclusion being certainly a few years ago the policy on antidepressants is rather confused .Many /most managers will be genuinely supportive in these situations however there will be a few that can see this as an easy way to wipe someone from their books if they so desire particularly during the initial probationary/trial period

Last edited:

turbo mick

I work on the railway and suffered depression had a spell off work and was supported by the company and bupa the railway doctor and take antidepressants now and do a safey critical job.

When he goes for the medical he will have to declare it in a health questionare and then its down to the doctor hopefully everything would be ok

cheers

whhistle

On Moderation
But after the probationary period, if you tell the line manager about it, they can't exactly turn around and give you the heave ho!
They would find you something else to do.

Tell your friend to go for the job, declare in any medical forms and such and see what happens.

Curious

Hi both

Fantastic thank you for this. He has already had the introductory medical before the depression hit a few months ago, so I guess he would only have to declare it when the next test arose wouldn't he? Or is it something he should raise within his first few days?

EM2

Established Member
I was on anti-depressants when I had my medical, I declared it right at the beginning to the doctor, and he said 'I can't see it being a problem'.
A number of my colleagues are or have been on a-d's and there'd been no issues.
However, my team is not safety-critical.

KA4C

I work on the railway and suffered depression had a spell off work and was supported by the company and bupa the railway doctor and take antidepressants now and do a safey critical job.

When he goes for the medical he will have to declare it in a health questionare and then its down to the doctor hopefully everything would be ok

cheers

I also take them, so do loads of other people, all safety crit
Just declare them at the medical as they will show up anyway

DBE

Hi both

Fantastic thank you for this. He has already had the introductory medical before the depression hit a few months ago, so I guess he would only have to declare it when the next test arose wouldn't he? Or is it something he should raise within his first few days?
If he hasn't already, he'll be issued with the company's Drugs and Alcohol Policy, which should detail the action he should take.

I would certainly recommend raising it with his line manager, or another suitable member of staff as soon as reasonably practicable once employment commences.

LowLevel

Established Member
And again, just to add, I've also known plenty of people in a safety critical role on anti-depressants. It's not a barrier, it just needs to be managed properly :)

KA4C

Hi all,

Brilliant advice thank you! My concern is he had the interview and initial medical before he was depressed as his condition is very recent. He will get full confirmation on the position this month and obviously he has changed since. His position is within testing. Would another medical take place when beginning the job? Would confirming the depression in the probationary period effect matters?

Thanks all

He should mention them at the managers interview. There will not be another medical before he starts

jim8970

If a person has been on anti-depressants which are NOT non drowsy but say has been on them for more than a year, which would probably see the side affects de-crease how would the medical team look at that?

Curious

Yes but most modern ones are OK

This is the advice I've seen everywhere too. As long as vision and hearing isn't effected by drugs it seems they are accepted. So reassuring to know this I can't thank you all enough!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
He should mention them at the managers interview. There will not be another medical before he starts

Last edited:

KA4C

This is the advice I've seen everywhere too. As long as vision and hearing isn't effected by drugs it seems they are accepted. So reassuring to know this I can't thank you all enough!

He's had all interviews and has effectively got the job just waiting on HR clearance for 100% confirmation When would you recommend mentioning this given all interviews have taken place?

On his first day when he will probably be met by his manager, just mention that he is on them as safety critical staff are under an obligation to advise their manager of medication. The manager can then do a meds check
If a person has been on anti-depressants which are NOT non drowsy but say has been on them for more than a year, which would probably see the side affects de-crease how would the medical team look at that?

If it has got as far as a year having been taken off of SCW because of medication, reviews should have taken place several times

If it is a first advice of them, it would mist likely be no SCW as the drugs advisors simply check the side effects list of the drug

Of course coming off of them is another thing, even the "safe" anti-depressants

Status
Not open for further replies.