• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How do they put up the adverts behind the tracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hornetwolf

My guess is that it would be some kind of maintenance train, but I've never seen it and id love to if it is. If they put them up in some other way then i would be equally interested in that too

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They use scaffold towers

Snow1964

Established Member
There is an old black and white movie of underground maintenance I saw long while ago (I think it was a movietone short documentary). In that, during night a team comes along, props a wooden ladder against side of rail so it doesn't slip, pastes the wall with sort of broom, and unrolls poster from the top. Just pasted over existing ones.

Maybe the film is available on internet somewhere.

But things have probably moved on from using short ladders nowadays.

pitdiver

Just watched the video that Mojo recommended.I'm just glad I never worked at Camden Town. Goodge Street was bad enough.
When I did nights i had to do one patrol at least during the night not watching the CCTV cameras

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just watched the video that Mojo recommended.I'm just glad I never worked at Camden Town. Goodge Street was bad enough.
When I did nights i had to do one patrol at least during the night not watching the CCTV cameras
“Multimedia Technician” aka bill poster… o_O

Hornetwolf

Do you mean beside the track in outside areas, or specifically on the station walls in tunnelled areas
More so the tunnels, but both really.

If you go to 40 Minutes of this video from a 2012 BBC series about the Underground, you can see the workers removing and installing advertising on the tunnel walls.

That is absoutley perfect, thank you so much!

Blorp

A6D4451E-110C-4DA2-83EC-B75786B047F4.jpeg

It’s still done the same way, a scaffold anchored onto the rails when the station is closed for the night.

Last edited:

johntea

Established Member
Is there some sort of limitation that prevents them from replacing all the manual labour with some sort of digital advertising screens?

Cost would be one I suppose and the curve although a manufacturer like Samsung probably wouldn't find that too much of an issue!

trebor79

Established Member
Is there some sort of limitation that prevents them from replacing all the manual labour with some sort of digital advertising screens?

Cost would be one I suppose and the curve although a manufacturer like Samsung probably wouldn't find that too much of an issue!
Some stations do have such projectors.

ssray

Also they can only have up to 4(if I remember) posters thick, it's then a fire hazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.