• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How far can you get on the least amount of money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RailwayDan

Hi all,

I'm wondering how far you could get for the least amount of money. Our current fares system throws up a lot of quirks and I'm very interested in finding out a few more of these :)

For the purposes of this, I'd like to discount megatrain fares, as these are quite limited (although I think a winner could be made for a combined London-Birmingham, Birmingham-Edinburgh megatrain ticket for £1 each leg plus 50p)

If this kind of thing interests you, it'd be great to hear your routes. I'd like to suggest two different categories, one for Advance type tickets and the other for Super Off-Peak/Off-Peak type tickets.

Dan.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
at the moment you can get from Haddenham to either wendover or stoke mandeville and probably great missenden for 10p on way.

RailwayDan

Tell us some example journeys you may be interested in and we'll have a go.

One of my favourites is the £20-30 advance seated fares on the sleeper. Usually 550+ miles, very cheap!

Well I'm based in London at the moment, so anywhere circular from there.

Doing my first sleeper next month, I got a berth for £29 so in that price range which I thought was good value!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
at the moment you can get from Haddenham to either wendover or stoke mandeville and probably great missenden for 10p on way.

Overpriced imo :)

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The London Midland Great Escape takes some beating. At £10, you could easily cover 1000 miles plus in a day. It'll get you unlimited travel on any of their trains.

philjo

Established Member
I did Kings Cross to Inverness & Aberdeen to Stevenage last month - for £25 each way on the east coast first class flat fare offer.

Scooby

My daughter & I, with a railcard, have managed Grange over Sands to Portsmouth return for £32.40 on an advance an Grange to Dover single for £15.70.

pemma

Veteran Member
Southern are offering Hastings to London Victoria for £3.70 single plus £2.52 cashback, which makes it £1.18 to get between Hastings and London Victoria.

However, if you have a railcard it's £2.45 single plus £2.52 cashback so Southern will pay you 7p to go between Hastings and London Victoria!

Last edited by a moderator:

All Line Rover

Established Member
Birmingham to Edinburgh at £2.50 return with Megatrain? That's about 500 miles.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The London Midland Great Escape takes some beating. At £10, you could easily cover 1000 miles plus in a day. It'll get you unlimited travel on any of their trains.

And that's really exciting when there is a football match on in Wembley. ;)

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
East Coast will pay you about £60 to travel between Kings Cross and Leeds.

(Assuming you drive the train for them of course. :lol:)

All Line Rover

Established Member
East Coast will pay you about £60 to travel between Kings Cross and Leeds.

(Assuming you drive the train for them of course. :lol:)

When you put it that way, train drivers don't get paid that much, do they? ;) Just 1 passenger is likely to have paid more for their ticket than the train driver gets!

I say that train drivers should get paid the full SOS/SDS fare for each journey - in this case, £119.50! :lol: (Or £87.60 on Super-Off-Peak trains.)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
When you put it that way, train drivers don't get paid that much, do they? ;) Just 1 passenger is likely to have paid more for their ticket than the train driver gets!

I say that train drivers should get paid the full SOS/SDS fare for each journey - in this case, £119.50! :lol:

And what about freight drivers? ;)

BigVince76

I got from Stoke-on-Trent to Penzance in first class with a rail card for £34 pounds last week, bargain!

Statto

Established Member
Although i haven't been able to buy one, as i haven't visited the area for a couple of years, i think the Southern DaySave ticket is great value at £12 for one day[off peak i think] travel on any Southern services, unfortunately you can only buy them online on the Southern site at least a week before you travel.

Also think the GMPTE Wayfarer is good value, valid on any train after 9:30am on a normal weekday, you can also go to places outside the GMPTE area with a Wayfarer.

graham43404

The best value I have booked recently for us was £14.40 each in standard class on East Coast from Leeds to Aberdeen and the same back down again. Not bad for a journey of 6 hours at all.

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
I did one trip Stevenage to Darlington & return 1st class for free.
(GNER had sent me a free 1st class return voucher to exchange for booked seats via their telesales as I had completed a survey on their website regarding the then prototype WebTis booking engine. By the time I actually travelled it was National Express running the trains!)

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Chiltern are doing £1 singles online between bmo/Solihull/warwick parkway and london

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
No railcards, no discounts, no booking in advance or online deals just old fashioned walk up to a ticket office and buy the ticket there and then - I don't think your £'s would take you too far.

pemma

Veteran Member
No railcards, no discounts, no booking in advance or online deals just old fashioned walk up to a ticket office and buy the ticket there and then - I don't think your £'s would take you too far.

I'd guess at it being a local fare in West Yorkshire. PTE areas fair best and the West Yorks PTE area tends to fair better than other PTE areas.

Southern

Penge West - Hastings 50p Advance Single when Southern had that big sale back in May.

First Off Peak Day Return (Child) from Folkestone Stations - Charing X for just £5.65. It was only ever that cheap on one occassion and I remember being quite suprised.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Restrictions apply. For example, Heald Green to Manchester United FC return will cost you £5.70 in total even if you start your outward journey after 18:30.

OK, I'll rephrase that...

Pfft, in GReater Manchester for just 20p more you can ride round as much as you like after 1830... *betwen stations shown on the map at http://www.tfgm.com/upload/library/10-1085_Rail_Ranger_Leaflet_web.pdf which does not have MUFC station on it*

The Evening Ranger would cover you for part of your journey though.

Status
Not open for further replies.