• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How many non-UK passengers use interrail passes in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGurney

Passes give flexibility. I doubt that advance tickets give as much.
True, but flexible travel is of limited use without flexible accomodation. As a young Interrailer I traveled hopefully (and always did find somewhere to stay). Now that my wife is 71 and I am 58, we feel safer with accomodation all arranged beforehand, and with that fixed a flexible rail pass has much less utility. They - or Interail 26+ at least - are also more expensive. For journeys we have made such as London - Venice - Athens - Milan - London; London - Amsterdam - Zurich - Vienna - London or London - Rome - Corfu - Salzburg - London, buying separate advance tickets always turned out to be cheaper.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic

Established Member
True, but flexible travel is of limited use without flexible accomodation. As a young Interrailer I traveled hopefully (and always did find somewhere to stay). Now that my wife is 71 and I am 58, we feel safer with accomodation all arranged beforehand, and with that fixed a flexible rail pass has much less utility. They - or Interail 26+ at least - are also more expensive. For journeys we have made such as London - Venice - Athens - Milan - London; London - Amsterdam - Zurich - Vienna - London or London - Rome - Corfu - Salzburg - London, buying separate advance tickets always turned out to be cheaper.
Flexibility is about time of travel, being able to stop off somewhere on the way, take a day excursion where you are staying etc which can all be done with pre-booked accommodation and which make interrail attractive. Probably more so in GB where it means you don't have to worry about peak/of peak fares, getting the wrong operators' train etc.

Mikey C

Established Member
Flexibility is about time of travel, being able to stop off somewhere on the way, take a day excursion where you are staying etc which can all be done with pre-booked accommodation and which make interrail attractive. Probably more so in GB where it means you don't have to worry about peak/of peak fares, getting the wrong operators' train etc.
The accommodation is the limiting factor though. If you've booked somewhere in London for 7 nights, then somewhere in York for 2 nights, there's no real benefit in being able to have flexible train travel. You can do cheap day trips out of London without a pass, or coach tours if you just want to see Stonehenge.

Back when I interrailed in Europe back in the 90s, I mainly relied on finding somewhere when I arrived, or took couchettes. So complete flexibility, but a lot more stress on arrival. If I was travelling in the UK, I'm not sure I'd like to arrived in York or Edinburgh or the Lake District in July/August, and just hope to find somewhere to stay.

deltic

Established Member
The accommodation is the limiting factor though. If you've booked somewhere in London for 7 nights, then somewhere in York for 2 nights, there's no real benefit in being able to have flexible train travel. You can do cheap day trips out of London without a pass, or coach tours if you just want to see Stonehenge.
Its not cheap to do a day trip to Bath travelling in the morning peak, or what happens if you don't know your way around London and get lost on the underground and miss your booked train to York. Lots of interrailers arent that familar with train travel in a different country especially the UK with probably more restrictions than many.

If you plan to stay 7 days in one place then a pass is probably not the right product but if you want to do 10 or more places in a month then it becomes very useful

philthetube

Established Member

Back when I interrailed in Europe back in the 90s, I mainly relied on finding somewhere when I arrived, or took couchettes. So complete flexibility, but a lot more stress on arrival. If I was travelling in the UK, I'm not sure I'd like to arrived in York or Edinburgh or the Lake District in July/August, and just hope to find somewhere to stay.
far easier now though with the net.

TheSeeker

I've not booked a UK train ticket in advance for several years. Are the websites generally available in languages other than English?

Trainbike46

Established Member
I've not booked a UK train ticket in advance for several years. Are the websites generally available in languages other than English?
TfW's website is available in Welsh!

Seriously though, trainline is available in a range of other languages. Thought not sure what it would add as travelling to the UK without an understanding of English would probably not go that well as most people here don't really speak other languages well at all

Last edited:

SeanG

This is where we are miles behind other countries - in Europe most train companies' websites translate to English, French, German and sometimes other languages. However most British ToCs just have the website in English.
Yes, Google translate is available but I find that it falls down a bit when forms are filled in (such as sorting out times and dates for train tickets).

Not to mention that the UK's ticketing system is exceptionally confusing compared to on the continent...

ASharpe

No idea how many people use interrail, but I was one of the non-UK passengers using one in the UK. Guards did casually look at it, except for one, who actually checked the diary and put a mark on it. Barrier staff just waved me through at all stations.
I remember my last interrail pass about 5 years ago had quite a few Zifa stamps on in the diary part.

Do guards on lner etc still have those stamps. Only had a squiggle with a pen at best recently with orange card tickets.

LowLevel

Established Member
They've been very popular this year, I've seen plenty of them, and the similar BritRail pass.

biko

I remember my last interrail pass about 5 years ago had quite a few Zifa stamps on in the diary part.

Do guards on lner etc still have those stamps. Only had a squiggle with a pen at best recently with orange card tickets.
I didn’t get a stamp on my Interrail in the UK, it was just some scrabble with a pen. In all other countries I got a stamp on every train (except the Netherlands, where checks are rare).
I travelled with fixed accommodation on an Interrail because it was cheaper, especially with a long journey home from the midlands. The booking horizon in the UK is so short, it’s basically impossible to plan ahead and find advance tickets at the same time as cheap ferry/Eurostar/plane tickets. And even with my fixed accommodations, we were still flexible in the exact timing on most journeys: we could travel in the morning and have an afternoon in the next city before checking in or more time in the place we were leaving. Besides that, it also was a nice idea that it didn’t matter if the bus was late at the station.

miklcct

On Moderation
TfW's website is available in Welsh!

Seriously though, trainline is available in a range of other languages. Thought not sure what it would add as travelling to the UK without an understanding of English would probably not go that well as most people here don't really speak other languages well at all

This is where we are miles behind other countries - in Europe most train companies' websites translate to English, French, German and sometimes other languages. However most British ToCs just have the website in English.
Yes, Google translate is available but I find that it falls down a bit when forms are filled in (such as sorting out times and dates for train tickets).

Not to mention that the UK's ticketing system is exceptionally confusing compared to on the continent...
I'm not sure if it is still the case. Although the website of national networks in other countries generally have English or Russian versions in addition to its local language, local networks are generally in local language only.

miklcct

On Moderation
The booking horizon in the UK is so short, it’s basically impossible to plan ahead and find advance tickets at the same time as cheap ferry/Eurostar/plane tickets.
How can 12 weeks be described as short (as long as we aren't travelling on Avanti)?

miklcct

On Moderation
Meanwhile I'm enjoying the reports and photos a foreign traveller is making here in a Facebook group, using his Interrail pass on the London Overground and Elizabeth line.

Are there many other cities where an Interrail pass can be used for a significant portion of local transport?

deltic

Established Member
Meanwhile I'm enjoying the reports and photos a foreign traveller is making here in a Facebook group, using his Interrail pass on the London Overground and Elizabeth line.

Are there many other cities where an Interrail pass can be used for a significant portion of local transport?
Yes, S-bahn services are generally included in the scheme.

miklcct

On Moderation
Yes, S-bahn services are generally included in the scheme.
Are these services elsewhere in continental Europe generally form a separate network to the national network, rather than the case in the Great Britain where they are an integral part of National Rail, such as London Overground?

For example, these services in Sweden and Finland aren't part of the national network, but neither of them are called S-tåg (S-train) unlike in Denmark. They are simply called pendaltåg (commuter train).

biko

How can 12 weeks be described as short (as long as we aren't travelling on Avanti)?
If I am planning a summer holiday, I tend to that about 4 months in advance (around April). Besides that, when I went to the UK a few years back, I don’t believe it was possible to find any advances 3 months before travel

miklcct

On Moderation
If I am planning a summer holiday, I tend to that about 4 months in advance (around April). Besides that, when I went to the UK a few years back, I don’t believe it was possible to find any advances 3 months before travel
I normally plan around June, 2 months in advance which is already in the Advance ticket horizon.

Dumpton Park

Ive been travelling in the UK on Britrail for many years. Only ever been asked for proof of residence once, on what was Virgin East Coast, which was the one time I'd left my docs behind. I just about managed to do it by showing a lot of non-UK utility and banking apps on my phone. I usually carried a copy of my income tax return and contract (finding something with an address in it was not easy). These days I carry a copy of my non UK residence card and my non UK passport (the two are from different countries), although in recent years I've not been asked for anything. I always wondered how things would go for the rail employee trying to read the documents in a language they'd almost certainly not know! My other half has occasionally been asked, but their mainland European passport has always satisfied the asker.

The new digital version of the ticket, very similar to the UK flexible season tickets from what I can see, is very reliable and impossible to cheat (which was quite possible with the old paper based version).

Britrail used to be phenomally good value, even in first class, and with occasional free extra day offers it was genuinely cheap. They've steadily been putting the rates up over the last few years and these days it's more that it offers total flexibility (ie you can treat any train at any time as if you have a walk-up ticket and change your routing at any time) that makes it worth having, and even then you really need to be making a few fairly complex long distance journeys over several days. Detailed knowledge of the GB beennetwork has always really needed to make the most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.