• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How much money is the railway losing during the pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralexn

I am just curious as to roughly how much money the railway as a whole (or region) is losing at the moment. This comes off the back of an announcement the other day that TFL need £1.8 Billion just to survive until March.

I also remember a few months ago a document was released somewhere with how much extra money the rail franchises have asked for since March.

At a guess though, just for TFL by the looks of things, they are currently loosing £15 Million a day or thereabouts.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Emergency Recovery Measures Agreements signed for the mainline Tocs under the control of the DfT (so every Toc except for open access, Merseyrail, TfL Rail, Overground, Transport for Wales Rail, Scotrail and Sleeper.scot) roughly equate to £500 Million per month. With a maximum 1.5% of this the profit margin for the private operators then I'll let you do the maths.

Transport for Wales Rail has received £60 Million extra, although this should be taken into account the fact the network is already subsidised to over £200 Million per year.

I'm not sure what money has been provided to the Scottish Tocs.

farci

Not only passenger operators are being compensated. Throughout continental Europe railfreight is recognised as a climate friendly solution. It follows that the significant EU capital investment in routes, bridges and tunnels should be protected by compensation for operators.

Here's an IRJ article about protecting the network for post-Covid
https://www.railjournal.com/in_dept...ers-prioritise-rail-freight-covid-19-recovery

mralexn

If that was right at the time of the article being published, (mid September) then it would put the cost at around £580,000,000 per month!

Or around £800,000 per hour since March 23rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.