• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How much of the Underground map have YOU covered (continued)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebmcr

Established Member
No, it isn't. A new diversion was created and the original side of the actual triangular junction was closed (I don't have the dates to hand, I'm afraid).

Ah I see. I knew the route was still in use but I was unaware it ran over new tracks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
No, it isn't. A new diversion was created and the original side of the actual triangular junction was closed (I don't have the dates to hand, I'm afraid).
I think it was 2009.

You can see the now trackless north side of the junction on Google Maps, along with the bypass track used by Bank-Lewisham trains (M-F, until 7pm). (The alignment for trains heading between Bank/Tower Gateway and Woolwich/Beckton was previously moved to the opposite side of the A1203/A1261.)

Screen Shot 2019-12-28 at 23.55.54.png
Image shows Google Map extract of the area immediately north of West India Quay DLR station.

USBT

When I did them I rode up to Chesham, walked to Amersham (it's only about 2 miles) then walked back.

I rode the tube to Chesham and then took a bus to Amersham (got to the stop just as a 1A was ready to leave). Had I gone back to Chalfont & Latimer and changed I wouldn’t have made it back to the family before 8pm.

And I made sure I took the tube. There was a Chiltern from Amersham to Marylebone 15 mins before the Met, but that’s not the tube.

Last edited:

Chris M

I think it was 2009.
You can see the now trackless north side of the junction on Google Maps, along with the bypass track used by Bank-Lewisham trains (M-F, until 7pm). (The alignment for trains heading between Bank/Tower Gateway and Woolwich/Beckton was previously moved to the opposite side of the A1203/A1261.)

The bypass for the northern side of Delta Junction is called "Beckton Extension Link Viaduct" and has been operational since 1994 or 1995. I believe (but can't immediately find a reference) that the north side of Delta Junction never carried service trains - direct trains from Poplar to Westferry and the City only began when the link viaduct built for the Beckton extension opened, a change at West India Quay was required before then). At some point after the link viaduct opened, track was lifted on the north arm of the junction - I haven't been able to find a date for this.

The diveunder ("West India Down Viaduct") the takes Lewisham-bound trains under the junction was opened in 2009. Initially it was only used by peak-time trains, but it these days used all day every day (other than, I think, some rusty rail moves).

TrainTube

What I remember to have covered:
Bakerloo: Waterloo to Harrow and Wealdstone
Central: West Ruislip/Ealing Broadway to Stratford
Circle: The whole line
District: Ealing Broadway/Richmond/Wimbledon to Barking. I have been to Upminster but only by train.
Hammersmith&City: Paddington to Barking
Jubilee: Wembley Park-Stratford. Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people have done that aswell.
Metropolitan: Northwood Hills/Ruislip to Aldgate
Northern: High Barnet/Golders Green/Mill Hill East-Morden via both branches.
Piccadilly: Heathrow T4&T5/Ealing Common-Finsbury Park. Have also done Ruislip-Rayners Lane.
Victoria: Brixton-Blackhorse Road
Waterloo&City: Have a guess
Trams: Wimbledon-Beckenham Junction via Croydon loop.
Overground: Richmond/Clapham Junction-Camden Road and Highbury & Islington to Stratford. Gospel Oak to Barking. Clapham Junction to Hoxton. Romford-Upminster. Liverpool Street to Hackney Downs.
DLR: The Whole route apart from Royal Victoria-Beckton and Canning Town-Woolwich Arsenal.

Covered a large part, most route completion is focused around routes off SWML stations e.g. from Waterloo to Wimbledon. Mainly covered for means of other transport e.g. the Ruislip area due to trainspotting. Matchdays at Wembley meant going on Jubilee and Bakerloo up, I'm sure many people will know the volume of people on those routes!

Last edited:

AlbertBeale

Established Member
At some time in my life I've travelled on everything that's currently a LU route, with just a few little exceptions, I've possibly not been to the bottom couple of stops on Northern Line, and probably not the top bit of the Hainault loop on the Central. Everything else I'm pretty sure, though in some cases perhaps only once (such as T5 at Heathrow). Upminster (and some of that end of the District) must have been only the once as well - on account of someone I met at a (London-wide) Sixth Form Maths Conference in my school days. But she lived in Upminster and I was in South Harrow, so the logistics were impossible and I only made the trip out there once!

route101

Established Member
Central Line , both Western Branches. Most of Central London .

Need to figure it out , not easy when you didnt care about doing it all back in the day.

Dave W

This was a nice way to spend half an hour. I’ve never bashed the Underground - everywhere I’ve been below I’ve had a reason to travel there. A previous job took me all over London auditing businesses and it seems I have friends in far flung (not high) places...

Deep tube
Bakerloo: All
Central: Ealing Broadway-Gants Hill/Woodford (none of the Ruislip section)
Jubilee: All except Canons Park-Stanmore (not Charing Cross)
Northern: All except Hendon Central-Edgware and Colliers Wood-Morden
Piccadilly: Cockfosters-Heathrow T4 (not the airport loop or Uxbridge branch)
Victoria: All
W&C: All(!)

Sub-Surface
Circle: All
District: All except Dagenham Heathway-Upminster (I’ve done that stretch on c2c but not the Underground)
H&C: All
Met: Preston Road-Aldgate

DLR
All, except:
Greenwich-Lewisham
Custom House-Becton
Stratford-Stratford International

Overground
All, except:
Romford branch
Crystal Palace branch
Southbury-Cheshunt
Battersea Park
(I’ve also done the weekend diversion via Primrose Hill and the old GOBLIN through train to Willesden)

TfL Rail
Liv St-Shenfield
Paddington-Heathrow (both stations)
(I’ve gone to Reading but only on GWR)

Others
Emirates Dangleway: yes
Tramline: never been on a service - although oddly HAVE had a depot tour at Therapia Lane (I rode there so didn’t go on one!)

Last edited:

Bakerloo Line - Whole Line
Central Line - Ealing Broadway to Woodford (inc Hainault Loop)
Circle Line - Edgware Road to Royal Oak (via Victoria, Embankment, Liverpool Street, Baker Street)
District Line - Whole Line bar Wimbledon to Fulham Broadway and Turnham Green to Ealing Common
Hammersmith & City Line - Barking to Royal Oak
Jubilee Line - Whole Line
Metropolitan Line - Aldgate to Harrow-On-The-Hill
Northern Line - Morden to High Barnet/Burnt Oak (via both Bank and Charing Cross)
Piccadilly Line - Cockfosters to Heathrow Terminal 5/Heathrow Terminal 4/Ealing Common
Victoria Line - Whole Line
Waterloo & City Line - Whole Line
DLR - Whole Line
London Overground - Whole network bar Watford High Street to Watford Junction and Queen's Park to Euston
TfL Rail - Shenfield to Liverpool Street/Paddington to Southall
Tramlink - Wimbledon to Elmers End/Beckenham Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.