• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How strict are train attendants with Young Person's (16-25) railcards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Sophie

I have a Young Person's railcard (16-25). The majority of the time it isn't actually checked by the train attendants, but the rare times it is, it's never been a problem.

However, I look very different now to what I do on the card photograph (MUCH shorter hair and have lost weight). I'm wondering if this would be a problem or if there have been any instances of people's cards getting rejected for this reason.

How strict are train attendants with this kind of thing? Do they look at the photograph or do they mainly focus on the expiry date? As you can tell from my previous posts, I'm a bit of a worrier :oops: but I just want to make sure.

Thank you :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rwuk

I can't answer the question you've asked, but I can suggest a mitigation I've used in the past (in a similar circumstance, albeit not with a YPR)...

You could, if challenged, offer to write your signature on a piece of paper to show that your signature matches that on one of your credit/debit cards (assuming you have one with you!) which should show that you're the person who's name is on the card which is also the name on the railcard... Like I said, it's worked for me in the past and if having that option in the back of your mind stops you worrying, it's worth thinking about :)

Tracky

Showing a credit/debit card or driving licence is the obvious solution if challenged.

island

Veteran Member
The terms and conditions of the Railcard, which you agreed to when you purchased it, state that if the photo is no longer a good likeness to you, you must get the Railcard/Photocard replaced, for which there will be an admin fee of £10. If it's a plastic Railcard you must do this online, while if it's a two-part paper Railcard, you can do it at most staffed stations.

Tracky

If it's a one year one from a station, you can always get a new photo card when you renew...

tony_mac

Established Member
The terms and conditions of the Railcard, which you agreed to when you purchased it, state that if the photo is no longer a good likeness to you, you must get the Railcard/Photocard replaced,
Which condition is that?

Saint Sophie

The terms and conditions of the Railcard, which you agreed to when you purchased it, state that if the photo is no longer a good likeness to you, you must get the Railcard/Photocard replaced, for which there will be an admin fee of £10. If it's a plastic Railcard you must do this online, while if it's a two-part paper Railcard, you can do it at most staffed stations.

I can't see that written anywhere in the Terms and Conditions, unless I'm reading the wrong thing :|

If that is what I have to, how long would it take to get a replacement? I'll be needing to use it in a week's time.

island

Veteran Member
Hrm. I read it in the Two Together Railcard rules at http://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk/help/faqs/changing-details/ and assumed it would be the same for the 16-25 Railcard, but there is no equivalent condition there. Seems like you're off the hook.

For the record, if you have a two-part paper Railcard, you can get a renewal on the spot (as long as you bring in a passport-style photo). If yours is an online card, it'll obviously take longer due to the post.

sarahj

Established Member
Dont worry too much about the picture, there are folks out there with gold cards in their early 60's still using a photocard when they were a young pup just out of uni student. Some great 70's and 80's styles. :lol:
Its mainly the exp date, though we might take a second look if your a tiny girl and the pic is of a hairy ass guy.

user15681

Established Member
I have a similar problem in that my hair grows fast so in the week prior to a hair cut I look completely different to the week after. It'd be really annoying, and expensive, for me to change the picture every few weeks.

I've never been challenged, nor do I regularly even have the railcard checked, but fortunately I normally always carry my season ticket photocard, photo driving license and university ID, along with bank cards etc. Just make sure you have alternative ID to prove it's you.

BestWestern

Established Member
Try to avoid referring to the Guard as a 'train attendant' and it may further assist your cause lol! :D

TheEdge

Established Member
Dont worry too much about the picture, there are folks out there with gold cards in their early 60's still using a photocard when they were a young pup just out of uni student. Some great 70's and 80's styles. :lol:

There is one local commuter out our way who is a little old gent who, in the politest possible way, the years have not been kind to but still commutes daily on a season ticket. His photocard however is an ancient BR one of a strapping besuited young male professional. Also gives me a little smile.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I had long hair when mine was done. Then when I shaved it off a couple of years later I was a little worried. It wasn't a problem - though did cause some mirth when someone who'd only known me with short hair saw it!

Also Gothed up I looked nothing like it!

Waldgrun

Don't worry too much! The one thing we where told to look for was the Eyes, they don't change!

Status
Not open for further replies.