• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to deal with MMI question

ladylou88

I passed every part of the psychometric except the 2 handed co-ordination test, so I did not get to try the MMI

My understand is that one of the questions is some variation of "Tell us about a time you dealt with an emergency sitatution"

My only problem is... I never have

I know I am capable of becoming a train driver but I cant answer this question, I dont want to lie either

So am I meant to never apply to retake the psychometric until I have dealt with an emergency in real life???

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
I passed every part of the psychometric except the 2 handed co-ordination test, so I did not get to try the MMI

My understand is that one of the questions is some variation of "Tell us about a time you dealt with an emergency sitatution"

I know I am capable of becoming a train driver but I cant answer this question, I dont want to lie either

So am I meant to never apply to retake the psychometric until I have dealt with an emergency in real life???
An emergency doesn't necessarily mean what you think it does as in police and fire and ambulance. For the purpose of train driver interview it could mean for instance you had an important meeting etc and when you went outside the car wouldn't start maybe. Or you were going to an interview and just before you left the house you spilt something on your outfit.

ladylou88

An emergency doesn't necessarily mean what you think it does as in police and fire and ambulance. For the purpose of train driver interview it could mean for instance you had an important meeting etc and when you went outside the car wouldn't start maybe. Or you were going to an interview and just before you left the house you spilt something on your outfit.
Do you know if anyones passed using examples like that?

Everyone "HOW TO PASS TRAIN DRIVER PSYCHOMETRIC" video I have seen involves some sort of medical emergency

Ducatist4

Its as much about your thought process in dealing with whatever it was than the actual nature of the emergency itself.

Terry844

I passed the MMI and I didn’t use an emergency situation, I did however reason that the example that I did use would be the equivalent of what they was asking for and how it relates to that

Economist

The MMI is quite a tough interview, when I did it back in 2015 it was par for the course for the interviewer to interrupt quite a bit and part of the test was to not get irked or rattled by it.
The railway likes people with life experience, whenever I was asked about an emergency situation I gave an answer from a hobby rather than work and it was viewed positively.

Chubba

Do you know if anyones passed using examples like that?

Everyone "HOW TO PASS TRAIN DRIVER PSYCHOMETRIC" video I have seen involves some sort of medical emergency
I had the same worries as you of not having dealt with a life threatening 'emergency'.
I was able to pass it just using a case where something unexpected happened and how I dealt with it

rakoczigabi

You can come up with anything. Do you have a pet ? And got suddenly ill ?

Or went abroad and flight got cancelled on the way back ? So had to call work and tell them ?

Or maybe your car / motorbike broke down ?

Also when I had mine , the interviews Kent interrupting me. She wanted to make sure that I stayed call and stick with my story.

Also got asked many times “ how did that make you feel?” at random times for many questions.

Good luck :)

Also I failed on my 2 hand coordination test at my first go. But passed second time.

NTD

I'm surprised people are suggesting non-work related scenarios, as I had used 2 examples from personal life on the pre-interview form which fit perfectly with the questions being asked and both were rejected due to 'not being relevant to a train driver's role', is what the interviewer had told me. So something to be mindful of.

Stigy

Established Member

They word it as “emergency or unexpected situation”.

As others have said, this doesn’t just mean life or death situations, and can just as easily mean breaking down in the car somewhere or dealing with an unwell child etc.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
How well do you work under pressure, think on your feet and have knowledge of, and carrying out specific protocols type of questions...

Have you ever had to deal with a situation that escalated out of control?

How would you deal with a situation that doesn't go to plan?

How would you deal with a situation where you were unsure what to do?

etc...

Sometrainguy

Hi guys, last week I had my train driver psychometric test, I did all the tests through to the MMI, I still haven’t had any of my results back yet.

Could someone please confirm if you get to the MMI, does this mean that all the other tests have actually been passed?
Or is it a case that the other tests could’ve been a fail ?

Thanks

Milink

They don’t waste time interviewing unless you have passed all the other tests. So an MMI would mean you have passed

Sometrainguy

At my TOC you don't get to do the MMI unless you pass all the tests.
Thanks for this, how long was it until you heard your results?

Because some people on here have said they find out on the same day, or found out due to others not going through to the next stages.
My one was slightly different as there were three of us and we all made it to the last test.

Does this seem like normal practise not to know within the first 6 days ?

They don’t waste time interviewing unless you have passed all the other tests. So an MMI would mean you have passed
Thanks for the info, I’ve been panicking since not hearing anything, I’ll wait until the 27th, due to Christmas, and hopefully will have an update by then.

LoogaBarooga

I never found out the official result for weeks, maybe six weeks or something it was ages.

I think that was a clerical error though tbf. Most folk I know found out that day or the day after.

Just phone or email and ask. I'm sure you'll have passed, they probably would have told you already if you didn't.

HollywoodFC

If you got to the MMI stage you will have passed the Computer tests. At my TOC they came in to the group room and Congratulated us and then explained the MMI process for the afternoon. I'd say if you havent heard its more likely to be good news.

AverageJoe

Anyone got any of the MMI questions to hand? I have my test in a week and am quite nervous.
I wouldn’t go down this route.

One it is a test of your skill which isn’t meant to be rehearsed, also the questions can be completely different so focusing on certain answers could actually throw you when they ask something completely different.

LCC106

Established Member
Agree with @AverageJoe here. They want to know you can think on your feet as part of testing your suitability for the job. If you’re unsure of anything just ask the interviewer to clarify it.

greatkingrat

Established Member
You don't have to think on your feet, you get given the questions before the interview.

Plodster

Anyone got any of the MMI questions to hand? I have my test in a week and am quite nervous.
Search MMI using the search function on here or on Google.
You should find the generic MMI questions to help give you a steer.

You will be given the questions on a sheet before the interview and have time to write a few lines answering the questions. You then cover the answer/example in much more detail during the MMI.

The MMI is looking for you to evidence certain skills and abilities through the information that you provide in your answers.

Some research around the drivers role might help point you in the right direction.

It’s not about giving the worlds best example, more about you evidencing your skills/abilities within the examples you give if that makes sense.

Good luck with it.

A Wild Acorn

Search MMI using the search function on here or on Google.
You should find the generic MMI questions to help give you a steer.

You will be given the questions on a sheet before the interview and have time to write a few lines answering the questions. You then cover the answer/example in much more detail during the MMI.

The MMI is looking for you to evidence certain skills and abilities through the information that you provide in your answers.

Some research around the drivers role might help point you in the right direction.

It’s not about giving the worlds best example, more about you evidencing your skills/abilities within the examples you give if that makes sense.

Good luck with it.
Thank you

SiTheTrainGuy

They will also throw hypothetical situations at you during the interview to see how you would react in certain situations. You can’t prepare for these in advance other than what’s mentioned above (knowing what the role of a driver is and the skills needed to be successful)

Terry844

Just want to say the initial questions you get in the MMI are not to be worried about, it’s the follow up probing questions which is where they will get what they want, they want to see if you have the attitude and mindset of what they are looking for in a driver.

The probing questions are dependant on what you put for the answers in the initial questions and the person doing the interview.

My MMI lasted for what seemed forever and when I left I felt abused and that I had messed it up, but a week or two later I got the notification I had passed.

So just to reiterate what you put for the initial questions isn’t as important to how you respond to the probing questions. You could put an absolute blinder of an answer for an initial question but when probed on it you stumble, freeze or worse it becomes apparent you made it up!

TC12

Hi everyone. Not 100% related to the above so admins please feel free to delete.
Just over 5 years ago I sat an MMI with a TOC, which I unfortunately failed. The MMI was completed by the TOC staff. This TOC did the MMI first and then depending on the result, either progressed to psychometric tests or failed and had to wait 6 months before reapplying. I have a few questions which I can't get a definitive answer.

Did this MMI failure on my behalf count as a life lost? Or because it was done in house by the TOC it hasn't affected my 2 lives?

Many thanks

Edit- Meant to include the following question.
Would the failure be deleted from the record so to speak after 5years and the lost life be reset?

A Wild Acorn

Hi everyone. Not 100% related to the above so admins please feel free to delete.
Just over 5 years ago I sat an MMI with a TOC, which I unfortunately failed. The MMI was completed by the TOC staff. This TOC did the MMI first and then depending on the result, either progressed to psychometric tests or failed and had to wait 6 months before reapplying. I have a few questions which I can't get a definitive answer.

Did this MMI failure on my behalf count as a life lost? Or because it was done in house by the TOC it hasn't affected my 2 lives?

Many thanks

Edit- Meant to include the following question.
Would the failure be deleted from the record so to speak after 5years and the lost life be reset?
As far as I am aware yes it counts as your one life gone, and it is forever. I wish you the best of luck with your next attempt. It is the DMI that doesn't count as a life. Can you remember the 6 questions you had for your MMI?