• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to go about finding a job in the rail industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElveUK

Hello RailUK peeps, I'm new here (as you've guessed as per my post count) so I'm a little bit of a derp.

I turned 18 about a week ago and thus means I am now legally able to work on board an on-service train and I just essentially wanted some advice on how to go about looking for a job?

I just finished all of my college studies so now I'm on my summer break before starting university in September (studying at home) and I've wanted to work in the rail industry my entire life, dream job becoming a train driver.

My local line is TransPennine Express (Grimsby Town) and Northern Rail and I just can't figure out how to apply for a career with either of them. I don't know a good starting point but maybe something like a ticket manager or conductor? I have a good knowledge of trains but nowhere near as good as pretty much 96% of everybody on this forum so, I hope to work on that whilst being part of RailUK.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
This has been covered many times before. There are multiple threads to be found on the forum discussing this.

Can I ask what you will be studying and what connection this will have to your chosen career?

Most TOCs prefer a background of customer service experience as this is increasingly important to all manner of roles including driver. I am of the opinion that although it may make no difference in your chances dependant on behaviour etc starting out near the 'bottom' ie station assistant and then working up which is quite possible will give you the crucial experience as to how the railway is run and probably make you more confident.

Obviously station assistant is very different to the driver role but even here there are cross overs for example the rules book, PTS and learning to read carriage working notices and P2 and understanding head codes... and of course safety!

Established Member
Have you ever been employed, done work experience or anything where you have learned skills? Companies are very interested in transferable skills, so even working at the counter at McDonalds shows customer service and cash-handling skills.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I just finished all of my college studies so now I'm on my summer break before starting university in September (studying at home) and I've wanted to work in the rail industry my entire life, dream job becoming a train driver.

What is your perception of the driving role?
What attracts you to it, and what do you think it involves?

The advice about getting into a customer service role whilst studying is sound, especially if you can get in with one of the household name companies. They all offer graduate schemes, etc, and and plenty of the people that progress into management have started out as "Saturday students".

Beveridges

Established Member
Keep checking the TOCs websites once a day for vacancies. Add the careers page of relevant TOCs to your favourites bar. That way you can check them all in few seconds. It requires patience when nothing comes up for months and months but its the only way to get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.