• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to handle Southeastern delay repay with split ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandsofEss

An issue I've often encountered, but only today decided to try and resolve once and for all, if anyone can help.

I have an annual season ticket for Staplehurst to Frant, which takes me via Tonbridge.

When I need to travel to London, I purchase a ticket from Tonbridge, with both tickets then covering my entire journey.

If I am delayed on a journey that requires both tickets, how should I submit a delay repay claim please? Southeastern's tool for this only allows you to assign one ticket for the journey, but I assume it would be a mistake to claim it as two separate delayed ones (from London to Tonbridge and Tonbridge onwards).

Can anybody advise please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
An issue I've often encountered, but only today decided to try and resolve once and for all, if anyone can help.

I have an annual season ticket for Staplehurst to Frant, which takes me via Tonbridge.

When I need to travel to London, I purchase a ticket from Tonbridge, with both tickets then covering my entire journey.

If I am delayed on a journey that requires both tickets, how should I submit a delay repay claim please? Southeastern's tool for this only allows you to assign one ticket for the journey, but I assume it would be a mistake to claim it as two separate delayed ones (from London to Tonbridge and Tonbridge onwards).

Can anybody advise please?
I would contact their customer services for advice on how they'd like you to fill out the form. Then there can be no confusion and no suggestion you're doing it incorrectly.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It might be best to ask Southeastern what you should do.

When I make a claim with a combination of tickets I take one photo of both tickets, and upload this. Add the prices together and use that. Just input one ticket number (normally the one from the most expensive ticket). It doesn’t usually fail.

The complication with your claim is that there is a season and a non-season in the combination. This is perfectly valid but it needs a human to look at it and calculate it manually rather than leaving it to the automated system.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sounds like Southeastern's claim form is not fit for purpose. TPE have a good form which asks you if you are using a combination of tickets.

Please do contact them and let us know how you get on

SandsofEss

Thanks all. I'll contact Southeastern customer service and report back here once I have an answer.

Do you ever go to Frant? There's not exactly very much in Bell Yews Green!

Very rarely! My journey is actually Marden to Tunbridge Wells, but Staplehurst to Frant is the same price and saves me a few quid if I ever travel further down the line.

pelli

I once was delayed on exactly this type of split, combining a single for the first part of my journey with part of a season ticket for the second part of my journey. I managed to get this approved through LNER's online delay repay form without question, by uploading an image containing both tickets as well as a calculation I made up to justify the total single price I was claiming for (as explained in more detail in a previous post of mine). I did go through the effort of calculating the fraction (using mileages) of the season ticket actually used to reduce the price claimed for to a value I thought was fair, but you could probably just add the single ticket price to 1/464 of the season ticket price (since I believe that, if you were claiming for a broken journey using just a small part of a single ticket, then you'd still be expected to input the full ticket price).

Status
Not open for further replies.