• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to identify a train from a reservation ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Long time no post.

A little while ago I bought an old first class seat from a mk2 coach off eBay, it's a rather nice leather backed seat with an orange stripy moquette. This morning when I was measuring up the base to mount on something to use as an armchair a reservation ticket fell out of it. The ticket shows it being seat 01 in coach A on the 09.40 Kings Cross to Leeds on the 12th of April 1987, reserved for the duration of the journey, clearly the best seat!

When I bought the seat I knew nothing about it's history, other than it was a first class seat in a MK2 coach, and I haven't been able to identify what variant of MK2 it came from, or what sort of a life it would have had.

So my question to you is, based on that information, does anyone know anything about what that train could have been made up of? or even be able to say which variant of MK2 it most likely came from? and from that what kind of working life it would have had before it retired to live out it's days in my living room?

Kind regards.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
By then, you’d expect it to be a Mk2d aircon.
You might be able to find carriage working notices showing the booked composition via the

BR Loco-hauled Coaching Stock from 1948​

group to be found at:

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
I'm fairly certain the seat in question is from a non-aircon Mk2. I'm also convinced it's not actually from first class, i'm sure they had leather headrests.

gg1

Established Member
I thought that the Mk2 aircons had IC70 seats (or the 1st class equivalent)? This seat looks older to me?

Some aircon mk2s on cross country services in the period 1988 to 1990 certainly had older style seats, can't speak for ECML mk2s but as they were used for secondary working it's not unreasonable to assume the older style seats were still around there too.

Darandio

Established Member
I think I've just found a source that might help identify the type of coach. It appears to have come from a MK2c FO, I understand that there are none currently in operational condition. The same basic seat seems to be used in a MK2C SO (in 2+1 layout) and MK2D FO with different seat coverings.

(my source including a photograph: http://www.easternrailservices.co.uk/news.htm)

Yes, I think you've cracked it there. Blows my non-first class theory out of the water too! Now all you need to find out is what worked the 09:40 service that morning. :lol:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
By then, you’d expect it to be a Mk2d aircon.
You might be able to find carriage working notices showing the booked composition via the

BR Loco-hauled Coaching Stock from 1948​

group to be found at:
Yes, I think you've cracked it there. Blows my non-first class theory out of the water too! Now all you need to find out is what worked the 09:40 service that morning. :lol:
The 0940 SuO KGX-LDS was booked an HST TRUB set in the Winter 1986 timetable (valid until May 1987), so I don't think it's going to help unfortunately.

Darandio

Established Member
The 0940 SuO KGX-LDS was booked an HST TRUB set in the Winter 1986 timetable (valid until May 1987), so I don't think it's going to help unfortunately.

Plenty of gen sheets showing loco hauled workings vice HST around that time though, just nothing on that service for that date. The majority of loco hauled subs I did see were a 47 with a mixed rake of Mk2's, often with a single aircon embedded within. I'd imagine this morning was no different.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Plenty of gen sheets showing loco hauled workings vice HST around that time though, just nothing on that service for that date. The majority of loco hauled subs I did see were a 47 with a mixed rake of Mk2's, often with a single aircon embedded within. I'd imagine this morning was no different.
Should've been more specific - I meant trying to identify the coach type from the PTM books.

6Gman

Established Member
I think I've just found a source that might help identify the type of coach. It appears to have come from a MK2c FO, I understand that there are none currently in operational condition. The same basic seat seems to be used in a MK2C SO (in 2+1 layout) and MK2D FO with different seat coverings.

(my source including a photograph: http://www.easternrailservices.co.uk/news.htm)
Weren't the Mk 2Cs used on the WCML?

Status
Not open for further replies.