• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS1 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralexn

I will be doing a trip soon to Ashford INT and back

I will be leaving on the 07:40 from STP
And coming back on the 0844 from Dover,

Will these services be busy?

What are the chances of getting a table seat? , Can you Reserve Seats?,

Do the 395's have a First Class? and if so, is it worth the upgrade.

Any more information would be really appreciated! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSE

Established Member
There's no first class, because I believe the whole thing is thought of as a "first class service".

Bungle73

On Moderation
No, you cant reserve seats, even though there are LCD screens which I assume are intended to be used for that purpose. Any particular reason you require a table seat? The airline seats have plenty of legroom.

mralexn

No, you cant reserve seats, even though there are LCD screens which I assume are intended to be used for that purpose. Any particular reason you require a table seat? The airline seats have plenty of legroom.

I just prefer table seats, + i have a laptop with me,

Do these trains have plug sockets?

mralexn

Also the sockets are between the two seats. Hope you like Ashford. :)

Like in FGW style?

Whats Ashford like,

I have the joys of spending an entire 41 mins there :D

Then its back to london, 91 to Edinburgh, then HST to Inverness :D

TheJRB

Established Member
Ashford's pretty good. If you like shopping you definitely can't go wrong - the big circus tent looking thing is the Ashford Designer Outlet and there's a big array of shops in County Square which is on the reasonably controversial and relatively new "shared space".

There's also a railway museum opening soon I think, but I'm pretty sure that's not open yet in the town centre.

Station wise, it's reasonably busy with about thirteen trains per hour (including the Marshlink to Brighton when that reopens). There are sidings visible from the Dover end of platforms 5 and 6 which usually have a Colas 66 or two in them (especially on the weekends when there's also usually a FCC 377 and SE 465/466). The Hitachi depot (where all the 395s are based) isn't properly viewable from the station, but it's surprisingly big and impressive if you're on a train heading towards Canterbury West. There's a Pumpkin café on both set of platforms too!

district

Ashford's pretty good.

There's also a fantastic police station with amazing police staff, who will be sure to deal with your calls... eventually.

Ashford is OK, but there are a high amount of general undesirables there. The designer outlet has shops, they work on the basis of Suit Shop - Kitchen Shop - Tracksuit shop and County Square also has a wide range of clothing shops which you could find in any other town for its size.

The Pumpkin cafe is best to be avoided on platforms 5/6, if you absolutely MUST spend money use 1/2 as it has much more seating - and use a Bite card!

If you must go to the designer outlet - do not take the shuttle bus. It's an absolute rip off. Tip from the top: Use the Eurostar exit of the station, turn left out of the front doors and follow the road down. You'll be there in a few minutes.

If you like buses, we've got a fantastic range of buses, which run from Bank Street and the railway station. Ensure you get the correct change and watch before you sit down, check for suspicious stickiness!

Enjoy Ashford! I'll be buying a CDS out of here as soon as this academic year ends!

Aren't they below your legs on the javelins? Or am I thinking of something else?

That's correct, between the two seats there is a plug. Also, table seats have extra plugs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.