• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 Old Oak Common Station - What should it be called?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Established Member
Will this station be called 'London Old Oak' or will Common be added to the name?

That's assuming it's not called somthing else, 'London Parkway' perhaps?
Elizabeth Junction probably

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd have thought it won't have a London prefix as it doesn't serve central London, and the likes of Clapham Jn and Stratford, to which it is similar in concept and connectivity, don't.

I'd expect it to be either OOC or Old Oak.

MotCO

Established Member
Elizabeth Station? In as much as there is a Victoria Station and Victoria Line. Or if Charles is on the throne when it opens, maybe Caroline Station.

takno

Established Member
More likely Charles Central by the time it opens
William. The queen seems like she's trying to hang on until Charles is too old or tragically passed away to inherit. I reckon she'll manage it as well, gawd bless 'er

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I suspect it will take its name from whatever the large development around it will be called. (Currently Old Oak Park Royal).

Purple Orange

On Moderation
I could see a case for it being called London Old Oak Common. Birmingham Interchange isn’t in Birmingham, let alone in the centre. Plus for many people heading in to Central London, it will be better to get off at OOC and get on cross rail, rather than go to Euston and change on to the tube there.

Aictos

Established Member
Just call it Old Oak Common, it's not like we call Clapham Junction (London Clapham Junction), Finsbury Park (London Finsbury Park) or East Croydon (London East Croydon) so just call it as it should be which is Old Oak Common.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Just call it Old Oak Common, it's not like we call Clapham Junction (London Clapham Junction), Finsbury Park (London Finsbury Park) or East Croydon (London East Croydon) so just call it as it should be which is Old Oak Common.
Correct. No Londoner wants a silly, fancy, complicated name for this station. Old Oak Common will do just fine.

Mikey C

Established Member
Clapham, Finsbury Park and Croydon are all well known London suburbs, whereas Old Oak Common means nothing to the vast number of Londoners though...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Clapham, Finsbury Park and Croydon are all well known London suburbs, whereas Old Oak Common means nothing to the vast number of Londoners though...

As is very common, it's likely the area will end up taking the name from the station.

You could call it "Wormwood Scrubs Interchange" I suppose :)

takno

Established Member
I think the main point with Finsbury Park and Croydon is that you would be getting off there to go to Finsbury Park or Croydon. If you got off there for London you'd have a long walk, and even if you are changing, say from a Victoria to a Thameslink service or vice versa, then you'd probably only be halfway there. Whether the suburb is heard of or not isn't strictly relevant, and I'm not sure many people who don't live in/know people in London actually would know that Finsbury Park or Croydon are London Suburbs anyway.

For most HS2 services into Old Oak Common you would be almost in London, it's the place where half the customers are going to get off and start thinking about onward connections, so there's a better case for calling it London Interchange or something like that. On the other hand it won't be "London" for Crossrail or even GWR passengers. I think you either call it London Western Interchange, so the emphasis is on it not being central and being there for interchange, or you call it Old Oak Common so that people have to recognise and think about it. "London Old Oak Common" just makes it sound like another London Terminus where you can sensibly get off and walk/taxi/cycle/bus to anywhere in the centre.

Not entirely unrelated: Warsaw Wschodnia (East) Station, which is the interchange station not-that-near central Warsaw has just been renamed after Roman Dmowski, which certainly fits the current government's agenda of celebrating slightly dodgy figures from the past, but doesn't really help with journey planning. Luckily it looks like it's just a plaque exercise rather than something that will appear in timetables or on signs.

Last edited:

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
First, that's not true. Many Londoners, particularly those in west London, know roughly where Old Oak Common is. Second, once the station bears that name it will quickly become very familiar because the station will be so busy and important. How many people in London know exactly where the roads Fenchurch Street or Liverpool Street are? Only a small minority, but most have a rough idea where the stations are.

Incidentally Clapham Junction is not in Clapham. It's in Battersea but that has not created a problem for most people.

Aictos

Established Member
Correct. No Londoner wants a silly, fancy, complicated name for this station. Old Oak Common will do just fine.
Exactly, calling it anything other then Old Oak Common is a waste of funds and pointless as is calling it Wormwood Scrubs.

Purple Orange

On Moderation

And this station is just not focussed on Londoners, or commuters in to London. It’s the interchange on edge of the city, much like Birmingham Interchange and Manchester Airport. The only difference between OOC and the Brum & Manc interchange stations will be that there will likely be a greater proportion of people arriving there by car.

Lol. A “London” prefix is silly and fancy? It’s just plain London.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
And this station is just not focussed on Londoners, or commuters in to London. It’s the interchange on edge of the city, much like Birmingham Interchange and Manchester Airport. The only difference between OOC and the Brum & Manc interchange stations will be that there will likely be a greater proportion of people arriving there by car.

I'd be surprised if there were any significant parking at Old Oak Common, beyond disabled parking.

Old Oak will, however, be different in that a proportion of passengers bound for the city centre will change there (onto Crossrail) rather than continue to the terminus, for a faster journey. Probably the closest equivalent today is people alighting at Tottenham Hale (or Stratford) for the tube rather than continuing to Liverpool Street.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
I'd be surprised if there were any significant parking at Old Oak Common, beyond disabled parking.

Old Oak will, however, be different in that a proportion of passengers bound for the city centre will change there (onto Crossrail) rather than continue to the terminus, for a faster journey. Probably the closest equivalent today is people alighting at Tottenham Hale (or Stratford) for the tube rather than continuing to Liverpool Street.

Exactly. Pre-covid I would travel down to work in the London office once or twice a month, which is not far from Liverpool Street. Whereas these days I get off at Euston then on the circle line, I see no reason as to why I would need to bother with Euston once OOC is open. Returning it might be better to board at Euston to get a seat however.

CW2

Established Member
The modelling done by HS2 estimated that about one third of passengers arriving at Old Oak Common from the north on HS2 would interchange there onto Crossrail / GWML / Heathrow services, and a minimal percentage continuing on foot or taxi to local destinations. Many parts of London are more easily reached by changing at OOC into Crossrail than by interchanging at Euston.
Yes, HS2 will be compulsory reservation and allocated seats, as far as I know.

Mikey C

Established Member
First, that's not true. Many Londoners, particularly those in west London, know roughly where Old Oak Common is. Second, once the station bears that name it will quickly become very familiar because the station will be so busy and important. How many people in London know exactly where the roads Fenchurch Street or Liverpool Street are? Only a small minority, but most have a rough idea where the stations are.

Incidentally Clapham Junction is not in Clapham. It's in Battersea but that has not created a problem for most people.
Other than rail enthusiasts I'd be surprised, as it's not a name used to describe anything else there

Acton, North Acton, Park Royal, Wormwood Scrubs etc are known places. Car Giant, which is located on the edge of the site even gives its address as "White City"!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Other than rail enthusiasts I'd be surprised, as it's not a name used to describe anything else there

That may change once 'Old Oak Common' appears on the tube map. Think about places that have become fashionable in recent years, due in part to being 'Overgrounded'; Shoreditch, Hackney, Dalston, etc. etc.

LLivery

Established Member
I'd consider a total rebrand and go for Brunel Junction, or even better, North Pole ;)

Railwaysceptic

Established Member

Lol. A “London” prefix is silly and fancy? It’s just plain London.

Sure. People alighting there need to be told they're in London because otherwise they'll think they're in Manchester!

Acton, North Acton, Park Royal, Wormwood Scrubs etc are known places. Car Giant, which is located on the edge of the site even gives its address as "White City"!

We'll have to agree to disagree because the people I know are clearly not the ones you know.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Is there any real possibility of OOC having a different name? HS2’s website is probably the most public facing sources of information, with a brand image too. Old Oak Common is referenced frequently.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Something like "West London Interchange" would be appropriate. I'd avoid the Old Oak Common name because it means nothing to anyone except railway enthusiasts and staff (or at least I've only ever heard it used in a railway context). As the station will be the likely interchange point for travellers from overseas who've flown into Heathrow and are heading to Birmingham or Manchester it needs a name which makes sense.

It'll probably end up with a stupid name like "Queen Elizabeth II Parkway: Sponsored by HSBC" though. :rolleyes:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Is there any real possibility of OOC having a different name? HS2’s website is probably the most public facing sources of information, with a brand image too. Old Oak Common is referenced frequently.

Crossrail was known as Crossrail until the Elizabeth Line was invented.

CTRL was known as CTRL until is became 'HS1'.

Etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.