• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 Old Oak Common Station - What should it be called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Presumably because both the Interchange stations directly serve their respective airports, but there are also other stations that’s serve the airports that already have (relatively) appropriate names.

I suppose you could have had "Birmingham Airport Regional" and "Birmingham Airport HS2" or somesuch. A bit like Frankfurt does (Regionalbahnhof and Fernbahnhof, and they aren't particularly near each other either).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
'London Old Oak' sounds reasonable enough to me.

The shear number of interchange options listed on the tube map will make the point as to why it is useful, I feel.

BayPaul

Established Member
'London Old Oak' sounds reasonable enough to me.

The shear number of interchange options listed on the tube map will make the point as to why it is useful, I feel.
Actually, thinking about it, on a tube map, it'll be a single blue wheelchair dot in a line of other similar dots. Unless there's a new station added on the overground, there won't be any interchanges shown other than a little double arrow symbol (and perhaps an HS2 symbol). With a deeper look the possibilities will be clear, but on the tube map it will look very uninspiring!

Something not mentioned, is that the name should also work for the Crossrail station-it would be very awkward if they both had different names. London Old Oak sounds fine for that, but something like West London Interchange would make little sense for a metro line.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Something not mentioned, is that the name should also work for the Crossrail station-it would be very awkward if they both had different names. London Old Oak sounds fine for that, but something like West London Interchange would make little sense for a metro line.

Not sure I agree. Liverpool South Parkway is a Merseyrail station.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
I cant see it being called anything else other than Old Oak Ckmmon
Just like people refer to London Waterloo as Waterloo in general parlance, but it’s actual name is still London Waterloo. In the same way Old Oak Common will generally be called that (or OOC on here), but it’s official name would still be London Old Oak Common.

It’s a significant station that is being built on a national network, and just like Birmingham Interchange and Manchester Airport could be called something like Bickenhill and Davenport Green respectively, they won’t be. They will be named after the city they service and to tell passengers where they are.

BayPaul

Established Member
Not sure I agree. Liverpool South Parkway is a Merseyrail station.
True, but one of a fairly small number of stations in comparison to the Underground. Marking a station as West London Interchange on the map, when it doesn't actually have an interchange between TfL lines might just look odd!

Martin23230

It’s a significant station that is being built on a national network, and just like Birmingham Interchange and Manchester Airport could be called something like Bickenhill and Davenport Green respectively, they won’t be. They will be named after the city they service and to tell passengers where they are.

But what's the real difference between having a station called London Old Oak Common and another called Manchester Davenport Green? If people have to know that the former is where they get off to go to Heathrow airport, it's not too far fetched to expect people to get off at the latter for Manchester airport.

It's fair to argue that very few people outside of Greater Manchester would have ever heard of Davenport Green, but then I'd assume that very few people outside of West London would have heard of Old Oak Common. The difference, I suspect, is that the name "Old Oak Common" was widely known in railway circles due to the GWR depo, so when it came to building the station there the name stuck.

I'm not saying that there is any conspiracy or anything, but it is interesting to contrast the differences between London, Birmingham and Manchester. All three will have two high-speed stations: a central city station and a suburban interchange for their major airport, but only the London interchange stations gets a "unique" name while the other two seem happy with "X Interchange".

Purple Orange

On Moderation
But what's the real difference between having a station called London Old Oak Common and another called Manchester Davenport Green? If people have to know that the former is where they get off to go to Heathrow airport, it's not too far fetched to expect people to get off at the latter for Manchester airport.

It's fair to argue that very few people outside of Greater Manchester would have ever heard of Davenport Green, but then I'd assume that very few people outside of West London would have heard of Old Oak Common. The difference, I suspect, is that the name "Old Oak Common" was widely known in railway circles due to the GWR depo, so when it came to building the station there the name stuck.

I'm not saying that there is any conspiracy or anything, but it is interesting to contrast the differences between London, Birmingham and Manchester. All three will have two high-speed stations: a central city station and a suburban interchange for their major airport, but only the London interchange stations gets a "unique" name while the other two seem happy with "X Interchange".
There is no difference at all, but you’re right that there is something about London based forumers appearing to see no need for it be called ‘London Old Oak Common’, on the mistaken assumption that everyone is familiar with the various areas of London (at least that’s how it comes across). I picked out Davenport Green, because who is expected to know where that is? Nobody.

Yep my bad.

But in all seriousness i cant see it being called anything other than Old Oak Common
What is the point in calling it Birmingham Interchange or Manchester Airport?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There is no difference at all, but you’re right that there is something about London based forumers appearing to see no need for it be called ‘London Old Oak Common’, on the mistaken assumption that everyone is familiar with the various areas of London (at least that’s how it comes across). I picked out Davenport Green, because who is expected to know where that is? Nobody.

Which is why I think West London Interchange is a better name.

I must admit to wanting to see a station with "Bickenhill Airfield" or "Ringway Aerodrome" on the signs...but being more serious I think those names are correct choices.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member

Don't blame all us Londoners :D

I entirely agree. Old Oak Common is a bunch of railway and derelict land, unknown to the wider population of London. Stratford by contrast is a historic and well known London suburb

Eurostar actually wanted to call Ebbsfleet Dartford International, but Gravesham moaned about it, hence it being named after a compromise place nobody has heard of!

Status
Not open for further replies.