• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 Progress near Kenilworth

Yindee8191

The main HS2 thread has been closed and apparently we’re to post individual site updates now, so here’s a couple of drone flyovers from near Kenilworth uploaded today. Really shows that earthworks are coming along well. Also, one of the first proper looks at the ‘Green Tunnel’ portal design in real life that I’ve seen, from Burton Green.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sonik

Nice footage, good to finally see a decent stretch where the outline of the route is actually visible beyond all the mess and temporary works.

bib

Kenilworth to burton green flyover
Flyover of the route between Kenilworth and Coventry, 01:35 appears to be the start of a cutting to allow HS2 to go under the Leamington Spa and Coventry Line, if I have the location right.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Big block along the Kenilworth line in July where some progress should be made along there.

Meerkat

Established Member
Big block along the Kenilworth line in July where some progress should be made along there.
In the video above are they building the abutments for the Kenilworth line in a cutting to the side, to be slid in?

bib

Another video flyover of the same route as the first video in post#1. Interesting to compare them , quite a bit more earthworks started on gaps that were green fields in December, the abutment to the diveunder at 1:30 is coming along slowly.

Another flyover covering the same area as the second video in post#1.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Another video flyover of the same route as the first video in post#1. Interesting to compare them , quite a bit more earthworks started on gaps that were green fields in December, the abutment to the diveunder at 1:30 is coming along slowly.
9 day block of Leamington to Cov in a few weeks, so there should be some more progress during that.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Are the dates for this public knowledge?
29th July to 6th August. Why wouldnt they be public kmowledge? The trains are offered and in realtimetrains etc. Its the same time as the Oxford work so no XC between Didcot and Leamington with diversions via Solihull.

Jurg

29th July to 6th August. Why wouldnt they be public kmowledge? The trains are offered and in realtimetrains etc. Its the same time as the Oxford work so no XC between Didcot and Leamington with diversions via Solihull.
Cheers

hozza94

9 day block of Leamington to Cov in a few weeks, so there should be some more progress during that.
That bridge in shot will be pushed during the blockade. The first few days will be excavating the existing line, then bridge gets pushed in and earthwork backfilled afterwards.

Same methodology was used on M42 Marston Box, and the A46 Kenilworth will be next to follow.

david1212

Established Member
.... and the A46 Kenilworth will be next to follow.

Is it known if the A46 remain open, be closed overnights and/or weekend or be completely closed? If the latter how long, a few days say Christmas / New Year? While the A46 is three lane and one carriageway could be closed given the proximity of the excavation and insertion of the concrete sections would that be considered safe? If so just one lane each way would create very long queues at peak times.

For a total closure the official diversion route would have to be M40 - M42 - A45. For e.g. Oxford - Coventry the alternative is M40 Jn10 - A43 - M1 - A45.
Local and lighter traffic would try the back roads but they would become gridlock at peak times.

hozza94

Is it known if the A46 remain open, be closed overnights and/or weekend or be completely closed? If the latter how long, a few days say Christmas / New Year?
Nothing is confirmed yet. It will definitely be fully closed for a period as the new bridge is constructed as a box structure and be pushed the whole way, which shortens the closure lengths. There is an opportunity to keep some carriageways open during excavation but it's not confirmed.

Can almost guarantee A429 and B4115 would be nightmare during those times.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Is it known if the A46 remain open, be closed overnights and/or weekend or be completely closed? If the latter how long, a few days say Christmas / New Year? While the A46 is three lane and one carriageway could be closed given the proximity of the excavation and insertion of the concrete sections would that be considered safe? If so just one lane each way would create very long queues at peak times.

For a total closure the official diversion route would have to be M40 - M42 - A45. For e.g. Oxford - Coventry the alternative is M40 Jn10 - A43 - M1 - A45.
Local and lighter traffic would try the back roads but they would become gridlock at peak times.
If its a slide like the M42 bridge, it will be a total closure.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
A quick question here - when the HS2 section of the works are complete at Kenilworth, is it intended to double track Milverton Jct - Kenilworth?

When Kenilworth station reopened, there was space left for another track and platform there.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A quick question here - when the HS2 section of the works are complete at Kenilworth, is it intended to double track Milverton Jct - Kenilworth?

When Kenilworth station reopened, there was space left for another track and platform there.
Milverton Jn to Kenilworth is all south of the HS2 crossing. That redoubling, (if ever authorised), could be done anyway without any consideration of HS2 progress?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

The Planner

Veteran Member

The new bridge allows for double track, nothing else is being done.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Last edited:

TheDavibob

The line is marked on OpenStreetMap, fairly clearly now:

snowball

Established Member
The line is marked on OpenStreetMap, fairly clearly now:

I'm very surprised that, as far as I'm aware, the Ordnance Survey does not yet show any of HS2 as under construction. (And I'm not sure what their symbol for railway under construction is.)

I see that OpenStreetMap, viewed at sufficient scale, in addition to showing certain areas as being occupied by HS2 works, shows a dotted line all the way from Euston to the Water Orton triangle, and then along the south side of the triangle and most of the way to Curzon Street - but not at present the other two sides of the WO triangle, or from there to Handsacre.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I'm very surprised that, as far as I'm aware, the Ordnance Survey does not yet show any of HS2 as under construction. (And I'm not sure what their symbol for railway under construction is.)
I'm fairly sure it's been mapped off the plans that were part of the parliamentary authorisations.
I see that OpenStreetMap, viewed at sufficient scale, in addition to showing certain areas as being occupied by HS2 works, shows a dotted line all the way from Euston to the Water Orton triangle, and then along the south side of the triangle and most of the way to Curzon Street - but not at present the other two sides of the WO triangle, or from there to Handsacre.
It's very funny about zoom levels and layers. If you go on https://www.openrailwaymap.org/ and flick between the 'Max Speed' and 'Infrastructure' layers at different zoom levels you'll see the entirety of the original proposals including the Toton Parkway and Golborne Link sections.

The Planner

Veteran Member

Probably someone jumped in and edited it once the two year "pause" of Delta to Handsacre was announced.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Their map key for the 1:50000 series has a symbol, (which is a 50/50 dashed black line), but I can’t remember ever seeing a railway under construction marked on a published map, although to be fair I’ve never looked for one either.