• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 Construction Updates - Birmingham Area

bib

I see the main HS2 thread was closed, there's a lot of work going on in the Birmingham area so might be worth having a thread to track updates.

The first viaduct pier for the approaches to Curzon has been cast, looks to be at least one or two more in-progress.

There was also the large box slide over the M42 which happened at over the Christmas holidays, which was a major job.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
The bridge on the Stechford to Aston line (SAS bridge 13) got sorted without a lot of fanfare last year.

Geezertronic

Established Member
There's also a lot of road changes around the Interchange site and up by Melbicks Garden Centre. I for one won't miss the traffic island they refer to as Northway as it has always been a PITA for traffic being in the wrong lane. Slightly confusing as to why they now have put arrow markings on the road to dictate what lane traffic should be in, they should have done that years ago.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
There's a lot of foundation work completed for these piers at Curzon St. I think I saw 3 of the V formers either in situ or ready to be placed last week.

Seems to be starting to physically appear which is fantastic!

bib

Some drone footage on youtube, appears to be just south of Water Orton, in the middle of 'delta junction'. Various earthworks can be seen and the foundations of a bridge/viaduct over the M6-M42 link road appear to have been laid.

Fazaar1889

HS2 past Birmingham - Airport Interchange & Delta Junction
Some drone footage of the area. Seems a lot of it is actually taking shape. At 3:34, they mention the western line, is that meant to be phase 2a? I thought that it hadn't been submitted to parliament yet or has my memory failed me?

snowball

Established Member
Some drone footage of the area. Seems a lot of it is actually taking shape. At 3:34, they mention the western line, is that meant to be phase 2a? I thought that it hadn't been submitted to parliament yet or has my memory failed me?
Many thanks for posting the video.

All the works shown or mentioned in the video (except the route map clip at the beginning) are part of phase 1. Phase 1 ends just north of Lichfield.

The Bill for phase 2a (Lichfield to Crewe) became an Act in 2021 but main works have not started. The Bill for phase 2b (Crewe to Manchester) is currently before parliament.

If you look at a map of the proposed HS2 route in the area east of Birmingham, you see the following features in succession from south to north:

1) Interchange Station

2) the triangular ("delta") junction where the HS2 mainline continues north and the spur to Birmingham turns off west.

3) the fork junction where the line line that was originally intended to go to Leeds forks off to the north-east. As part of phase 1 this ends after a short distance. It is currently proposed that it will eventually go to East Midlands Parkway.

4) the HS2 mainline continues north. It is this that the video means when it says the western line.

5) the HS2 mainline passes Lichfield, then it divides, where the mainline stops (to be eventually extended as phase 2a to Crewe) and a spur connects it to the WCML at Handsacre.

Fazaar1889

Many thanks for posting the video.

All the works shown or mentioned in the video (except the route map clip at the beginning) are part of phase 1. Phase 1 ends just north of Lichfield.

The Bill for phase 2a (Lichfield to Crewe) became an Act in 2021 but main works have not started. The Bill for phase 2b (Crewe to Manchester) is currently before parliament.

If you look at a map of the proposed HS2 route in the area east of Birmingham, you see the following features in succession from south to north:

1) Interchange Station

2) the triangular ("delta") junction where the HS2 mainline continues north and the spur to Birmingham turns off west.

3) the fork junction where the line line that was originally intended to go to Leeds forks off to the north-east. As part of phase 1 this ends after a short distance. It is currently proposed that it will eventually go to East Midlands Parkway.

4) the HS2 mainline continues north. It is this that the video means when it says the western line.

5) the HS2 mainline passes Lichfield, then it divides, where the mainline stops (to be eventually extended as phase 2a to Crewe) and a spur connects it to the WCML at Handsacre.
Ah thanks

Is any work happening on the Handsacre link ? It's future seemed in doubt a couple of weeks ago. The HS2 maps shows two long bridges / viaducts, is any work taking place on them ? I guess there will be a flyover on the WCML and on HS2 towards Crewe.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Is any work happening on the Handsacre link ? It's future seemed in doubt a couple of weeks ago. The HS2 maps shows two long bridges / viaducts, is any work taking place on them ? I guess there will be a flyover on the WCML and on HS2 towards Crewe.
Earthworks are well progressed right on the WCML short of Lichfield TV station so can't see them not going that far.

Also, we're up to 10 piers formed at Curzon Street now. Starting to visibly grow on the site.

bib

A video about progress at Birmingham interchange station progress, some drive through videos of roads and ground level footage.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
It looks like they are erecting a former for a viaduct piece at Curzon St currently. Maybe a test piece?

Seems early to start on the spans, even if they are onto rows 3&4 of the piers.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It looks like they are erecting a former for a viaduct piece at Curzon St currently. Maybe a test piece?

Will be around 2025 for the bridges themselves.

Yindee8191

I believe the press release when they finished the first pier referred to the deck being started ‘later this year’ so it’s not impossible that they’re starting it now.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I believe the press release when they finished the first pier referred to the deck being started ‘later this year’ so it’s not impossible that they’re starting it now.
I guess it's best to build a former now if they have the space. Always a good stage in a major construction when it goes vertical

TheHSRailFan

Came back from a visit to Ireland on Tuesday, the plane's route went over Birmingham and Coventry. So I have a few Images of it round that area.

These first 4 images are of HS2 Phane 1 around the Lichfield area.
PXL_20230404_175955828.jpgPXL_20230404_180008937.jpgPXL_20230404_180108610.jpgPXL_20230404_180110922.jpg

We flew over the northern part of Birmingham so I was sorta able to take a picture of where the triangle junction will be but not Birmingham interchange station.
PXL_20230404_180201706.jpg

The last I saw of it was when we then flew south of Coventry, which only those on the other side of the plane could see it for the rest of the journey.
PXL_20230404_180410656.jpg

Hope this is a good enough update on things!

Yindee8191

It would appear that at least one deck segment for the viaduct at Curzon Street has been cast. It’s not clear from the picture but there is also orange formwork on top of one of the piers, so there may be more soon. 99E84D37-46F5-4C99-977E-B28D4E09CA34.jpegC14D06E2-C16B-429D-885D-45FCAA248319.jpeg

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Yeah I did mention that formwork previously but wasn't sure if it was a test or not. Will the piers progressing well it will be interesting to see if they do mount it and continue to form more

Baz2000

HI, does anyone know when the HS2 rail station in Birmingham City Center will be built, the main Building platforms roof etc? thanks in advance.

zwk500

Veteran Member
HI, does anyone know when the HS2 rail station in Birmingham City Center will be built, the main Building platforms roof etc? thanks in advance.
Don't expect to see substantive works for a while yet. The Buildings and roof will be among the later elements of construction, the trackbed and utilities/services (rail and civil) will need doing before the station foundations can be started properly.

Yindee8191

Don't expect to see substantive works for a while yet. The Buildings and roof will be among the later elements of construction, the trackbed and utilities/services (rail and civil) will need doing before the station foundations can be started properly.
Utilities are done for Curzon St aren’t they? The site is completely clear now so I doubt there’s much left to do from that perspective.

zwk500

Veteran Member
@Yindee8191
Utilities are done for Curzon St aren’t they? The site is completely clear now so I doubt there’s much left to do from that perspective.
HS2's construction look ahead says utility works ongoing through 2023: https://www.hs2.org.uk/about-us/our-documents/birmingham-construction-look-ahead-spring-2023/
Location of works​
Proposed duration​
Description of works Location​
1Ongoing throughout 2023
  • Continuing to prepare the site for the construction of the HS2 Curzon Street Station and the railway; including utility diversions and ground remediation works
  • We will continue to divert existing utilities including gas, electricity cables and water pipes, in and around the HS2 Curzon Street Station site
  • Delivering utility works within site boundaries and public roads and footpaths that border the HS2 Curzon Street station site including on Fazeley Street, New Canal Street, Masshouse Lane and Curzon Street
2Ongoing throughout 2023
  • Delivering utility diversions and connections at the New Canal Street/Fazeley Street junction and site wide
  • We will continue to carry out these utility diversions in preparation for the new utility connections, testing, and commissioning
  • Once complete, these works areas (on roads and footpaths) will be tarmacked and reinstated
5Ongoing throughout 2023
  • Undertaking a range of utility diversions in the area

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
The lower section of the site is all completed, hence why piers are now under construction.

However, I don't believe the top end of the site has had utility works done yet (such as the former car park and pub site)

bib

Pretty detailed flyover - looks like they're starting to build the viaduct deck for one of the four lines into the station, could be quite impressive in a few months, although nothing really to see on the actual station site yet.