• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 TBM Progress

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Why they never planned a spur for the already present and unused, extra station platforms at Heathrow baffles me.
It’s literally been future proofed to provide extra train capacity, it seems daft to deny passengers from Birmingham and beyond a more simple journey to Heathrow. No one wants to lug bags over a rail network with so many changes… classic oversight I think!
Although they did originally have a plan for a spur to Heathrow, and you can still see on the relevant online drawings the intended position of the two junctions, they’re effectively at either end of the Colne Valley viaduct:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...7f59fcecd0/C221-MMD-CV-DPP-010-203700-FPD.pdf

IIRC it wouldn‘t have ever gone via T5 spare platforms though, they were already reserved for other routes such as western and southern links. Probably off-topic for a discussion of tunnelling progress, as it’s the tunnel that will never be built now…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PLY2AYS

Although they did originally have a plan for a spur to Heathrow, and you can still see on the relevant online drawings the intended position of the two junctions, they’re effectively at either end of the Colne Valley viaduct:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...7f59fcecd0/C221-MMD-CV-DPP-010-203700-FPD.pdf

IIRC it wouldn‘t have ever gone via T5 spare platforms though, they were already reserved for other routes such as western and southern links. Probably off-topic for a discussion of tunnelling progress, as it’s the tunnel that will never be built now…

Thanks for the information! I’ll have a gander.
Hadn’t realised that about Colne Valley junctions.

Apologies for going off track.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Why they never planned a spur for the already present and unused, extra station platforms at Heathrow baffles me.
It’s literally been future proofed to provide extra train capacity, it seems daft to deny passengers from Birmingham and beyond a more simple journey to Heathrow. No one wants to lug bags over a rail network with so many changes… classic oversight I think!

The ‘spare‘ platforms at T5 were nover intended for HS2 and not compatible anyway. They are reserved for Southern / Western link.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
HS2 has a piece on the completion of the west portal (the Birmingham end) of Bromford tunnel, ready for the arrival of the two TBMs in 1-2 years' time.
It feeds into a 750m cut and cover tunnel* which has now started construction.
So there's not going to be much scenery on the stretch out of Curzon St, until the Delta Junction area.

* this is essentially the length of the adjacent Washwood Heath rolling stock depot

You can see the portal taking shape on Google Maps (photo probably several months old) in this screenshot.
The Washwood Heath site is the brown zone to the lower left, and the portal now completed is the white hatched recatngle in the north-east of this zone.
It's right next to the M6, A47 and the Derby main line.

bromford portal 2.png

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
So there's not going to be much scenery on the stretch out of Curzon St, until the Delta Junction area.

It’s east Birmingham. There is no scenery. Being below ground will be a blessing.

(disclaimer - I used to live there).

snowball

Established Member
Does the M6 viaduct have piled foundations where the tunnel will go under it? (near Wanderer's Walk I think.) How deep is the tunnel there?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Updates today May 15 for four TBMs at Bromford and Northolt West.
At Bromford (16 days from Apr 29): Mary Ann is at 2280m (+132m), Elizabeth at 120m (+0m).
At Northolt West (12 days from May 3): Shushila is at 4995m (+92m), Caroline at 4772m (+212m).

So a good spell for Caroline (17m/day), half of that for Mary Ann and Shushila, and Elizabeth seems to be stopped for the moment.
Mary Ann has made a crossing below the River Tame and is now under industrial sites until it reaches the intermediate vent shaft in about 500m.
The Northolt pair now have residential housing either side of their route under the wide ex-GWR formation.

Edit May 20:
The Northolt East TBMs were updated today (10 days from May 10):
Emily is at 520m (+78m), Anne at 189m (+90m).
So steady progress from both, around 8-9m/day.

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Updates on TBMs

Sushila (Northolt west) 92m in 12 days to May 16th (63.51%) 5000m
Caroline (Northolt west) 212m in 12 days to May 16th (60.87%) 4770m

Mary Ann (Bromford) 132m in 15 days to May 15th (40.71%) 2280m
Elizabeth (Bromford) (launched 1 May) 120m (2.19%) 120m

Emily (Northolt east) 78m in 10 days to May 21st. (9.45%) 520m
Anne (Northolt east) 90m in 10 days to May 21st (3.45%) 189m