• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST traction motor ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I had a look online for this without success and it's not mentioned in the Haynes IC125 manual so - what are Class 43 traction motors ratings, does anyone know?

Ideally I'd be interested in the continuous and one hour ratings plus the continuous motor rpm speed; I assume the GEC and Brush motors have the same ratings, if not then the individual ratings for both motor types if possible.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joshua483

On Moderation
I had a look online for this without success and it's not mentioned in the Haynes IC125 manual so - what are Class 43 traction motors ratings, does anyone know?

Ideally I'd be interested in the continuous and one hour ratings plus the continuous motor rpm speed; I assume the GEC and Brush motors have the same ratings, if not then the individual ratings for both motor types if possible.

Thanks in advance
Dear Hexagon789,
Is this document any good? https://escholarship.org/content/qt7rp0g3k3/qt7rp0g3k3_noSplash_74fa03b518e171db4d835997f7723ba1.pdf

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think I came across that some years ago, looking for something else.

While an interesting read it doesn't really provide what I'm looking for.

Thank you anyway, much appreciated :)

As it stands I should really be more specific, I have a figure for the collective rating of the traction motors together - 1,868hp, which I have referred to in a few threads.

I have no information as to exactly what the figure pertains to however. I have simply assumed it's the collective continuous output.

On Moderation
I can't take it seriously when it talks about downrating to 1.68kW (which is just over 2hp!). In any case it isn't specific if relating to engine output, alternator rating or traction motors. Given that 1.68MW is 2,250hp, and 1.86MW is ~2,500hp that sounds more like engine output and the intention to rate the ECML power cars at 2,500hp.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I can't take it seriously when it talks about downrating to 1.68kW (which is just over 2hp!). In any case it isn't specific if relating to engine output, alternator rating or traction motors. Given that 1.68MW is 2,250hp, and 1.86MW is ~2,500hp that sounds more like engine output and the intention to rate the ECML power cars at 2,500hp.
Which is how I read it when I first saw the document. It also mixes engine and motor and repeatedly rounds things which it previously referred to exactly

Joshua483

On Moderation
Which is how I read it when I first saw the document. It also mixes engine and motor and repeatedly rounds things which it previously referred to exactly
Is this YouTube video any good with the fact that he has the manual for the British Rail Class 43 / HST.

The traction motors are the GEC G417AZ type.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.