• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HSTs running without TGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernbelle

While I was aware that Grand Central ran it's HST sets without TGS vehicles, watching a video this evening I spotted a Virgin Trains 2+6 set running without one.

Was this common?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
While I was aware that Grand Central ran it's HST sets without TGS vehicles, watching a video this evening I spotted a Virgin Trains 2+6 set running without one.

Was this common?
Interesting one. My guess is there could have been a fault with the TGS carriage.

ScotRail run there's without a TGS - they didnt when refurbished.

XC a few times I believe ran a 2+6 without Coach G (TGS coach).

Davester50

They didn't have TGS vehicles when built originally, so very common before the they were shuffled in to sets!

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Was this common?
Originally they didn't exist anyway, they were only introduced into sets in 1980.

I believe GC had a guards office in the TRSB, ScotRail have it in the TGFB; the main point of the TGS vehicle being so the guard no longer had an office in the inner end of a power car.

driver9000

Established Member
Not all that common after the TGS coaches were built but I seem to remember that if a train had to run without it the safety equipment normally kept there was moved to the buffet or luggage van space of the power car.

TheHovisKid

Was the TGS purely down to creature comforts in the first place, as often cited?
There's been mention recently of nobody being allowed in the back power car cab during a reversing move in case the fire alarm triggers and potentially suffocates them. Would that affect the (former) brake van too, and did that apply back then as well?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Was the TGS purely down to creature comforts in the first place, as often cited?
There's been mention recently of nobody being allowed in the back power car cab during a reversing move in case the fire alarm triggers and potentially suffocates them. Would that affect the (former) brake van too, and did that apply back then as well?
The original reasoning was noise and ride comfort in the rear of the power cars.

I would hope the fire extinguishing equipment wasn't set up the same way back then - the poor guard :|

On Moderation
The original reasoning was noise and ride comfort in the rear of the power cars. I would hope the fire extinguishing equipment wasn't set up the same way back then - the poor guard :|
The fire system has never covered either the cab or the van.

On Moderation
I thought the bottles were in the former van space?
They are. But the system only discharges into the engine room and clean air compartment. The van is just a convenient area (=there is space) to locate the Inergen bottles.

TheHovisKid

They are. But the system only discharges into the engine room and clean air compartment. The van is just a convenient area (=there is space) to locate the Inergen bottles.
Ah, I thought I'd seen it quoted as a reason why a second driver couldn't be there during reversing moves, where a walking route didn't exist, but it may have been why the driver can't walk through himself. ScotRail sets needing turning, I think it was.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They are, but the fire suppressant in the bottles is only deployed in the engine compartment if a fire is detected.
My mistaken understanding was similar to TheHovisKid's here:
Ah, I thought I'd seen it quoted as a reason why a second driver couldn't be there during reversing moves, where a walking route didn't exist, but it may have been why the driver can't walk through himself. ScotRail sets needing turning, I think it was.
But thanks for clearing it up.

Towers

Established Member
There was very definitely an instruction that crew were not to travel in rear cabs at one point, I believe due to the fire supression equipment at the time being CO2. Although it didn’t deploy into the cab area by design, there was an perceived risk of the gas making its way into the cab and posing a safety risk to anybody in there. The replacement with inergen gas may have lessened that somewhat.

fgwrich

Established Member
They can run without a TGS, but only if another vehicle has a Gai-Tronics driver - guard interface unit. The GC sets were ok as they ran with ex Virgin TRSBs, while the 3 ex FGW TRFB’s were similarly modified for use with the ex GC Sets went they went across to EMT. Examples in preservation have similarly been modified.

Last edited:

On Moderation
There was very definitely an instruction that crew were not to travel in rear cabs at one point, I believe due to the fire supression equipment at the time being CO2. Although it didn’t deploy into the cab area by design, there was an perceived risk of the gas making its way into the cab and posing a safety risk to anybody in there. The replacement with inergen gas may have lessened that somewhat.
As I understand it, the original fire system only covered the engine room and not the clean air compartment; it was only when Inergen was fitted that the fire system was extended to cover the clean air compartment. The risk from being in the trailing cab in original configuration would be tiny - the clean air compartment was between the cab and the area covered by the fire extinguishers.

Nick Ashwell

They can run without a TGS, but only if another vehicle has a Gai-Tronics driver - guard interface unit. The GC sets were ok as they ran with ex Virgin TRSBs, while the 3 ex FGW TRFB’s were similarly modified for use with the ex GC Sets went they went across to EMT. Examples in preservation have similarly been modified.
Can I ask what is included in the interface? Knowing that MU guards and drivers communicate from the doors I'm intrigued as to how it works when doing SDO on a HST?

On Moderation
Can I ask what is included in the interface? Knowing that MU guards and drivers communicate from the doors I'm intrigued as to how it works when doing SDO on a HST?
It interfaces the buzzer from the CDL panels (which are wired via separate jumpers only on/between the trailers) into the 36-way multi-jumper. That enables the buzzer to be heard in the cab.

It's nothing to do with SDO; SDO on HST CDL uses modified control panels and comms is still via the normal CDL jumpers.

Towers

Established Member
It interfaces the buzzer from the CDL panels (which are wired via separate jumpers only on/between the trailers) into the 36-way multi-jumper. That enables the buzzer to be heard in the cab.

It's nothing to do with SDO; SDO on HST CDL uses modified control panels and comms is still via the normal CDL jumpers.
And indeed on the rare occasion that a set ran with two TGS vehicles (an extra one for surfboards during the Boardmasters festival in Newquay was a common arrangement on the western), the equipment had to be isolated in one of them otherwise the buzzer wouldn’t operate in the cabs.

Nick Ashwell

Fabulous, many thanks for that. Good to know how it actually works

Established Member
Where do bikes go when there's no TGS?
On the ex Grand Central sets at EMT/R I believe there was a area in coach A for bikes but I also think at some point bikes were not allowed on these as well maybe before the area was set up?

56xx

On sets meant to have a TGS or sets (such as ScotRail's) that never have them?
Well I suppose both. My regular trips are and have been in the Western Region GWR or XC HSTs where I usually take my bike. I am intrigued as to what happens on ScotRail or other HSTs

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Well I suppose both. My regular trips are and have been in the Western Region GWR or XC HSTs where I usually take my bike. I am intrigued as to what happens on ScotRail or other HSTs
On ScotRail, there are racks in Coach C - the carrying capacity was increased earlier this year in time for the summer season.

There was initially a plan to use the racks in the power cars for end-to-end journeys, but that has never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.