• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Huddersfield Vintage Posters

wellhouse

Some wonderful old posters are exposed on the Platform 8 Buffet building. I've suggested to NRM that they record them properly.

A few examples

Attachments

• PXL_20240301_081345974.jpg
    PXL_20240301_081345974.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 195
  • PXL_20240301_081335897.jpg
    PXL_20240301_081335897.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 202
  • PXL_20240301_081319400.jpg
    PXL_20240301_081319400.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 201
  • PXL_20240301_081304433.jpg
    PXL_20240301_081304433.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 207
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamiearmley

I'm assuming that the silver duct tape on the 'Awaydays' poster is obscuring the image of a .. um... 'celebrity endorsement' of the time?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Believe that some (if not all) of the BR posters depicted upthread date back to c. 1982. Which begs the question: What happened just after then to cover them all up?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Great posters, I hope they're saved somewhere.

I'm glad the buildings being saved and rebuilt. Had many a lovely fry-up in there over the years :)

JKF

Is that a class 210 on the final one, or an electric unit of similar styling?

SeanG

I'm assuming that the silver duct tape on the 'Awaydays' poster is obscuring the image of a .. um... 'celebrity endorsement' of the time?
Yes - however I understand that the poster in question left the 'gentleman' uncovered for a while as none of the workmen realised who he was...
The mind boggles.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Why would they ? They're probably too young to have been watching telly when said "gentleman" was a celebrity.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The story I heard (from a reliable source I can't reveal) regarding the images of a disgraced former disk-jockey was that initially the posters were left uncovered (because well, why would people contracted to do a specific job take time out of their workday to cover up an image?) until a member of the public returned to the ticket office to complain that said former disk-jockey was on display. Someone was then sent with a roll of gaffer tape to censor the images. The time between the posters being exposed, and the lackey being sent to cover them up, was supposedly around 10-15 minutes.

Last edited:

Established Member
I see someone has done a cheap and nasty cover up. The BBC, of course not the excellent duck tape job on poster 3.

WesternLancer

Established Member
BR Gift Vouchers - don't think I recall those!

Is that a bit of Class 50 related graffiti by the Age of the Train slogan?

I see the NRM has a digital copy of this very similar voucher poster - without the need for image censorship....

From the caption - my bold:

A Gift for all Seasons - British Rail Gift Vouchers make Great Gifts for Any Occasion, Any Time of the Year', BR poster, 1982. Poster produced for British Rail (BR) to advertise their range of gift vouchers, promoted by Britsh television personality Jimmy Saville (b 1926). Illustrated with the four cards available, and Jimmy Saville holding the gift vouchers in the bottom right hand corner. Printed by London Lithographic Ltd. Poster shows Jimmy Savile, who was a successful TV and Radio presenter. Since his death in 2011, allegations about his conduct have come to light and some of the honours that Savile was awarded during his career have been posthumously revoked. Use is restricted to educational use only due to sensitivity of subject matter.

SeanG

The story I heard (from a reliable source I can't reveal) regarding the images of a disgraced former disk-jockey was that initially the posters were left uncovered (because why why would people contracted to do a specific job take time out of their workday to cover up an image?) until a member of the public returned to the ticket office to complain that said former disk-jockey was on display. Someone was then sent with a roll of gaffer tape to censor the images. The time between the posters being exposed, and the lackey being sent to cover them up, was supposedly around 10-15 minutes.
I heard similar but can't reveal my reliable source too

Titfield

Established Member
and yet we dont cover up pictures of a certain A Hitler who condemned many millions to death.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Thing is, whilst having posters of the former host of Top Of The Pops is not a particularly good look, a poster cannot actually harm anyone. The posters in question were covered up (the first time around, not the duck-tape job) long before anything untoward was known about said individual (though there were many rumours, it's not like the bloke was shy about his proclivities). It's hardly the fault of the contractors at Huddersfield or indeed the station staff that the posters were there.

Had the posters been left uncovered though, no doubt there would have been a story in the Metro (or some other rag) about how a passenger was "traumatised" by seeing an old poster.

Pinza-C55

That's amazing. If they can be taken down it would be nice for a heritage railway to have them.