• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull Trains £59 CDR if you miss the last train

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnkleBoots

Am looking at the London to Doncaster Hull Trains ticket at £59 day return.

If I miss the last Hull Trains southbound service because of a late-running connecting service, can I use another TOC?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
You can use another TOC with your existing ticket if you are instructed or permitted to use another TOC by a member of rail staff - although sometimes you will not manage to get anyone to do so even if you've missed the last train through no fault of your own. However, there is still a general duty on any Train Company which is in a position to do so, to assist you by arranging alternative transport (e.g. taxi, inter-TOC ticket acceptance) and/or overnight accomodation, as required. If any Train Company, having been in a position to help you, refused to do so, then you would be entitled to recover your reasonable costs of alternative transport (e.g. new interavailable ticket, taxi fare - shared where practicable) and/or overnight accomodation from them.

The above advice is contingent on you having left at least the minimum connecting time for each interchange station in your planned itinerary - this is usually at least 5 minutes for smaller stations, up to 15 minutes for the largest stations. This time can be found either on www.brtimes.com or by consulting the National Rail Timetable published on Network Rail's website.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Well then I presume you can’t use another TOC
No mate, see posts 6 and 7 which nicely sum it up.

If there was another HT coming in a couple hours you may be required to wait for that.

But staff may not strand a passenger overnight if they can reasonably help, eg by providing passage on another train.

AnkleBoots

Thank you. Doncaster is a 7 minimum connection time. The ticket office seems to close quite early so I envisage the only member of staff I would be able to talk to is the guard on the next train, presumably needing to present the separate ticket for the late connecting service. Better to ask him/her before boarding or just sit down?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If there aren’t any station staff around, I’d just sit down, unless other specific arrangements to accommodate HT passengers had been publicised.

If you’re wrongly charged for a new ticket, the forum would help you reclaim that cost.

Don’t further delay yourself unneccessarily if the last HT of the night has gone.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Be aware as well that Hull Trains refuses to pay delay compensation if a combination of tickets is used so I would expect you to encounter issues in getting Hull Trains to pay for additional tickets purchased.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They claim that if you elect to use a combination of tickets it constitutes separate journeys, despite the NRCoT.

Transport Focus choose to back Hull Trains.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
They claim that if you elect to use a combination of tickets it constitutes separate journeys, despite the NRCoT.

Transport Focus choose to back Hull Trains.
And no-one yet has taken up the matter legally!

clagmonster

Established Member
Thank you. Doncaster is a 7 minimum connection time. The ticket office seems to close quite early so I envisage the only member of staff I would be able to talk to is the guard on the next train, presumably needing to present the separate ticket for the late connecting service. Better to ask him/her before boarding or just sit down?
If you have time, there is an enquiry office on the platform 4/8 island, though the staff will be out if there is an East Coast / Cross Country train to dispatch from that side of the station.

AnkleBoots

If you have time, there is an enquiry office on the platform 4/8 island, though the staff will be out if there is an East Coast / Cross Country train to dispatch from that side of the station.
Thank you. Would the enquiry office endorse a ticket or is verbal reassurance more likely?!

clagmonster

Established Member
Haven't a clue. I've never been in a position where I've needed them to endorse. They have been very good in positions where I have needed a replacement taxi though, so I'd have thought they would be good for that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.