• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull Trains Struggling for Rolling Stock Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edvid

Established Member
A little birdie tells me there's talk on WNXX that 113 has finally entered service. If true, that's very good news for Hull Trains considering their current circumstances.

Whether or not it'll perform to a higher standard will soon be known...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

asylumxl

Established Member
A little birdie tells me there's talk on WNXX that 113 has finally entered service. If true, that's very good news for Hull Trains considering their current circumstances.

Whether or not it'll perform to a higher standard will soon be known...

This is good news :D

Anonymous one

An update, Voith, Cummings, Alstom and Bombardier are now working together to sort the 180's out for Hull trains.
All spotted at Crofton this week.
The debacle hopefully is being sorted or at least being worked on.
Some of the problem was that Alstom were not communicating with Bombardier, eg, letting them have the wiring diagrams and plans for the layout of the systems, a joke eh?

113 came out in service recently as we all know and is performing well, albeit on 4 engines, the 5th having a turbo fault which made it look like a steam train, really smart livery though.
111 is working well on 4 engines but is full of gremlins in the TMS system, this tells the driver that there are things wrong when infact all is well.
Nothing safety orientated just stuff like bogs out of order and junk like that.
110 is running on 3 engines, just. After its altercation with the infrastructure it is in dire need of some tlc.
109 is doing well after its poor month in April, two sucides I hear, very sad. I hear it had some tlc recently.
107 is sitting in crofton in a sad state aparently.
Rumours of 114 and 104 heading to HT are circulating.

There is also a proposal lodged at the ORR for an 8th service both ways with Hull trains, anyone know anything about that one?

I do hear from the staff that things are looking up and that the full overhaul of the 180's is about to begin in earnest.
Fingers crossed..

Its was sad to see the 222's go, they wont be back permanently but there are rumours again circulating of EMT 222's being hired in at weekends to allow work to continue on the 180's.
It is said that when the 180's work (rarely), they are belting units and should be a fairly good train, until the next stock cascade.
Pacer units for HT maybe.
Who knows.

Maybe if the damn goverment actually travelled on a train rather than in a limo, they might realise that some investment is needed now to prevent this sort of thing happeing to a really decent company again in the future.

Last edited:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for that interesting insight Anon! I travelled with Hull Trains on Monday on the 1850 off KGX, and it was a pleasant journey, although the engine in the car I was in sounded very ill, and seemed to get worse through the journey.

1D53

Established Member
180113 has been sounding fairly good the last couple of days admittedly.

fgwrich

Established Member
Glad to hear that Hull Trains finally might be on the mends... And i hope that 114 heading to hull... Which would make sense considering hull would then have a almost complete set on units... now all they need is to swap a 180 for 112.... then they would have 109,110,111,112,113 & 114... which numericly would make sense...

Speaking of 180's... does anyone know where 180112 seem to have gone to...all i know is its gone into hiding somewhere...

Oh well... At least getting the 222's back for the weekend should help Hull Trains get back up and running again like they used to...

Though im intregeed on how theyll be doing the catering, bearing in mind t he 222's had a small kitchen area...

Anonymous one

Glad to hear that Hull Trains finally might be on the mends... And i hope that 114 heading to hull... Which would make sense considering hull would then have a almost complete set on units... now all they need is to swap a 180 for 112.... then they would have 109,110,111,112,113 & 114... which numericly would make sense...

Speaking of 180's... does anyone know where 180112 seem to have gone to...all i know is its gone into hiding somewhere...

Oh well... At least getting the 222's back for the weekend should help Hull Trains get back up and running again like they used to...

Though im intregeed on how theyll be doing the catering, bearing in mind t he 222's had a small kitchen area...

180113 has had an interim refresh, just new carpets and seat covers as well as the striking paint job.

The plan so I hear from them is to move 1st class to the end (509 coach) and fit a small kitchen behind the driving cab like on the 222's.
This is the next job once reliability is improved.
The interior is an odd one, due to a lack of power available on the units, power sockets will only be in 1st class but WIFI is set to be installed throughout.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks for that interesting insight Anon! I travelled with Hull Trains on Monday on the 1850 off KGX, and it was a pleasant journey, although the engine in the car I was in sounded very ill, and seemed to get worse through the journey.

That odd sound you mentioned from the engine is a bug bear of the type I understand, the engine management system gets it's self in a twist and ultimately shuts down.
Sometimes shutting the engine down and restarting it sorts the issue out and away they go.
I have seen it done a couple of times, they go in a cupboard in the vestible and fiddle with some switches, shut the engine down, restart it and wey hey.. :D

ian959

I travelled on the 1410 ex Hull on 3rd May with 180109 and the trip was quite uneventful with the unit working well throughout (6 minutes early into KGX), which after hearing of the problems with the 180s was quite welcome. Hopefully they do get the 180s sorted out as they are inherently better units from a passenger point of view than the various Class 22Xs in my view.

fgwrich

Established Member
I did see a 180 poking its head out of FGWs depot at Old Oak Common...maybe its 112...

Same... passed The Oak last satuday and there does seem to be a few 180's there... though from what ive heard Hull are sending some 180's to the Oak for maintenance.... bearing in mind that the Oak / OOC used to be there home depot...

rich

Anonymous one

so basically 180113 has only had part of it's refurbishment done for the moment, so it's nowhere near finished?

Thats right, I heard that the work done was a taster to show the passengers whats heading their way.
Its an odd perception I think, why not just get the job properly done in the 1st place.

fgwrich

Established Member
Thats right, I heard that the work done was a taster to show the passengers whats heading their way.
Its an odd perception I think, why not just get the job properly done in the 1st place.

Guessing its just basically a taster... So if you liek the refurb, this is how we could continue it with the fleet... or if this part needs changing then put it on the list and it could / couldnot be included in how the adelante fleet should be...

I think actually its a pretty good idea doing it that way, at least giving the passenger a say in how there fleet will be... rather than the TOC going ahead and doing it themselves... leading to custemer disfatisfaction...

BOSCH

I did see a 180 poking its head out of FGWs depot at Old Oak Common...maybe its 112...

112 is leased to GC and is being fitted with wi-fi,electrical sockets and is also getting liveried into GC black etc !! 105 is currently at heaton and is being used for staff training as of this week,105 travelled the durham coast last week ! :D:D;)

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Following an incident on the line yesterday, in which one of our trains suffered damage at a level crossing near Doncaster, the following trains will not operate today, whilst repairs are completed.

0625 Hull to London
0948 London to Hull.

adc82140

Established Member
There were two 180s on Old Oak Common today- both wearing unbranded FGW, not Hull Trains liveries. One was poking out of the shed, the other sitting forlornly behind. Are all of the units in service with Hull Trains branded?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Following an incident on the line yesterday, in which one of our trains suffered damage at a level crossing near Doncaster, the following trains will not operate today, whilst repairs are completed.

0625 Hull to London
0948 London to Hull.

The peak business train to London, the repairs must have been urgent for them to cancel that service!

Anonymous one

The peak business train to London, the repairs must have been urgent for them to cancel that service!

A cross country train hit a cow on the line near Joan Croft Jcn outside Doncaster and bits of it smashed some windows on the Hull trains service.
This resulted in cancelations the next day.

minnie

A cross country train hit a cow on the line near Joan Croft Jcn outside Doncaster and bits of it smashed some windows on the Hull trains service.
This resulted in cancelations the next day.

I was on the XC train on monday morning and it was a little scary to say the least. During the incident I saw a train pass in the opposite direction. Our train was damaged and taken out of service in Doncaster, but I didn't know the other train was damaged too.

Anonymous one, where did you find out this info please?

Anonymous one

I was on the XC train on monday morning and it was a little scary to say the least. During the incident I saw a train pass in the opposite direction. Our train was damaged and taken out of service in Doncaster, but I didn't know the other train was damaged too.

Anonymous one, where did you find out this info please?

Mostly just ask staff at the stations or on trains. :D

minnie

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't seen anything about the incident anywhere, so had wondered how you knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.