• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I got caught with a Child Ticket on Southern Rail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysteriousXGuy

I got caught today using a child ticket on the train (I'm 20, you have to be 15)

I was calm and helpful when i got caught, didn;t cause a fuss etc and what I imagine was due to that, the guy told me that if I wrote a letter of apology to the nearest prosecution department i'd really help myself out.

Should I write the letter? What should I do? Some people have told me the letter is basically an admission of guilt, but they already have my details and I think they basically have me saying "yes, I know what I did was wrong" I also thought that in my letter I could put it across that I would like to settle it out of court, but again people have said that I should just do nothing as it is unlikely they'd take me to court without a proper admission of guilt over a train fine, but at the same time I don't want to risk it

Yeah, I was caught red handed and they got all my details/age. The guy said to me it would just be a fine and that if I did what he said (as in the apology letter) it should only be about £45. However some people have said to me he was probably just saying that and i could get ****ed for more.

Honestly though I am fine with paying the fine, I just want to make sure I don't have to go to court over it

I posted this on yahoo answers and they directed me here. I am really worried about getting a criminal record over a stupid lapse of judgement and would really like to just settle out of court, even if it's for a big fine. I had a friend who kicked up a big fuss and refused to provide details until threatened and all he got was a £200 fine but I still can't help but worry

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GadgetMan

Sit tight and wait until the Train Operating Company contact you.

To be honest I don't have any sympathy for you. You knew what you did was wrong and deserve to be taken to court and given a criminal record as I doubt that was the first time you'd fraudulently travelled on the railway without paying the correct fare.

However writing in admitting guilt before they contact you would be a mistake.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I posted this on yahoo answers and they directed me here.

Indeed you did and I wonder if this is where a lot of referrals come from?

Firstly, owning up there and then was probably a good move - but at the same time, you've already admitted the offence so the next correspondence won't be to establish guilt, but to hear your reasoning and work towards an outcome that is acceptable to the train operator.

Were you asked under caution if you'd done it before? Did you answer, or admit to that (if you have)? If it was only for this one incident, they may well go for an out of court settlement - it's easier for them, and gives them more money. They will, however, keep your details on file so don't expect the same leniency if you did it again.

Anyway, others will no doubt be along soon to give their advice. I am pretty sure there's no specific amount you'll be asked to settle for, and I'd personally expect a three figure sum minimum.

MysteriousXGuy

Indeed you did and I wonder if this is where a lot of referrals come from?

Firstly, owning up there and then was probably a good move - but at the same time, you've already admitted the offence so the next correspondence won't be to establish guilt, but to hear your reasoning and work towards an outcome that is acceptable to the train operator.

Were you asked under caution if you'd done it before? Did you answer, or admit to that (if you have)? If it was only for this one incident, they may well go for an out of court settlement - it's easier for them, and gives them more money. They will, however, keep your details on file so don't expect the same leniency if you did it again.

Anyway, others will no doubt be along soon to give their advice. I am pretty sure there's no specific amount you'll be asked to settle for, and I'd personally expect a three figure sum minimum.

Because of that, is the apology letter worth writing?
I hadn't done it before so hopefully, yes, they will go for an out of court settlement, that's the most I could hope for and I am expecting a 3 digit fine, which I am ok with, I just want to get this all over and done with, the stress it's causing me is ridiculous and I just feel so ****ty about it

ian13

Because of that, is the apology letter worth writing?
I hadn't done it before so hopefully, yes, they will go for an out of court settlement, that's the most I could hope for and I am expecting a 3 digit fine, which I am ok with, I just want to get this all over and done with, the stress it's causing me is ridiculous and I just feel so ****ty about it

It's debatably best to hold off until contacted. That'll help ensure that it goes to the right person, and that letters won't end up crossed in the mail.

They will likely contact you to ask for your version of events, in which case it would be a good time to express (where applicable) remorse, the infrequency of your actions, and that it won't occur again. Alternatively, they may contact you with a notice of intention to prosecute. Regardless, you could offer to pay for any difference and Southern's costs in pursuing the matter to see if they'll settle out of court (expect an offer in the region of £150 if they should choose to accept).

island

Veteran Member
As above, you need to wait for the letter. When it comes, if you in fact have historically paid the right fare and can produce proof of doing so (such as old tickets), then you can use that to support your claim of a "lapse of judgment".

It's worth being clear on terminology here, as we are discussing legal issues. You cannot get a fine without having had a court conviction. If you are paying a sum of money to convince Southern not to take you to court, that would be a penalty or a settlement.

If I were the prosecution manager in this case, however, I'd be seriously considering making an example of you.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I am in agreement with the others in that something does not seem to add up that a 20-year-old would one day suddenly decide to try his luck at purchasing a child ticket for no apparent reason, having habitually purchased adult tickets for four years.

However it is not my job to judge whether the OP is telling the truth or not, and if not, the OP will sure find out that the penalties would be much more severe as he will be found out, especially if he followed advice from here that is not really appropriate for his situation because he had not been telling the truth.

As others have said, wait for the letter in the first place. There is not much you can do in the meantime.

The OP also needs to consider how credible his story is in the eyes of the Train Company staff investigating this matter. If it is difficult to pursuade members on here that everything he has said is the truth, then I would expect it to be quite tough convincing Train Company staff too.

Monty

Established Member
I got caught today using a child ticket on the train (I'm 20, you have to be 15)

I was calm and helpful when i got caught, didn;t cause a fuss etc and what I imagine was due to that, the guy told me that if I wrote a letter of apology to the nearest prosecution department i'd really help myself out.

Should I write the letter? What should I do? Some people have told me the letter is basically an admission of guilt, but they already have my details and I think they basically have me saying "yes, I know what I did was wrong" I also thought that in my letter I could put it across that I would like to settle it out of court, but again people have said that I should just do nothing as it is unlikely they'd take me to court without a proper admission of guilt over a train fine, but at the same time I don't want to risk it

No real danger of incriminating yourself further, it appears to me Southern have everything they need for a open and shut 5 3a prosecution. As others have already said however there is very little point in writing to them until you hear from Southern first.

When you do receive correspondence from them I suggest you are completely truthful them and admit your guilt and apologise for your actions.

Yeah, I was caught red handed and they got all my details/age. The guy said to me it would just be a fine and that if I did what he said (as in the apology letter) it should only be about £45. However some people have said to me he was probably just saying that and i could get ****ed for more.

Honestly though I am fine with paying the fine, I just want to make sure I don't have to go to court over it

It may be possible to arrange an out of court settlement, but as said previously Southern may want to set an example in those occasion as it was such a flagrant act. You can add another zero on that £45 that zero figure potentially after you have included the fine, court costs & victim surcharge etc. Regardless if you go to court or not you would still end up paying a significant sum.

I posted this on yahoo answers and they directed me here. I am really worried about getting a criminal record over a stupid lapse of judgement and would really like to just settle out of court, even if it's for a big fine. I had a friend who kicked up a big fuss and refused to provide details until threatened and all he got was a £200 fine but I still can't help but worry

Not sure I would call what you have done a lapse of judgement, it looks like premeditated fare evasion to me and I'm sure thats how the company and the magistrate will see it. You can request, to keep the matter out of court but as said the company is under no obligation to do so. If you have not been spoken to before on the railway about ticketless travel (issued with a UFN or a penalty fare etc) in the past it may be possible, I would'nt hold my breath though.

I'm sorry if this isn't want may want to hear, but I believe in being up front with people on what to expect with matters such as these. I highly advise you consider seeking legal advice.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm afraid you're likely to receive no sympathy, you are admittedly guilty of travelling with the intent to avoid payment of the full fare. I am still eligible for Child rate fares, the day I turn 16 then I'll have to foot adult rate, what choice do I have?

I fail to see why people do this sort of thing.

TP

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There is not much more that can be added before the OP receives his letter. Therefore this thread is locked until then.

@OP. Please get back in touch when you receive the letter from Southern, by using the Contact Us link located on the black bar at the bottom of the page. The thread will then be reopened for further comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.