• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I Got It

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutter

I am now a... wait for it..... 'signalling mechanical engneering technician' *gathers breath*

All that means is i fix signals when the bobbies start moaning.

Say bye to puncturality, whoops :oops:, we never had that in the first place :p

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nutter

I've got an open day at HMS Sultan and HMS Colinwood this saturday, which means it's going to be difficult to see the opticians before the medical, but hey, i'll manage it

Coxster

Established Member
As I said before mate, I'm pleased that you got the apprenticeship because it is something I know you really wanted to do ;) Where is it you're being based - forgotten.

nutter

Initially HMS Sultan(training)/HMS Colinwood(accomodation)

Then after the residential year i'll be based at cornhill depot, opposite wolverhampton PSB

One problem with the Navy contract, no piccis are allowed of the opposite sex, not even stuff like my avator :cry: :cry:

TheSlash

Established Member
Welcome to the firm nutter. Be of no doubt, we will grind you down. We will batter your enthusiasm out of you until you hate the company just like everyone else :jerk: :D ;)

nutter

Open day went by fine, even if VERY hot

Also been upto the opticians, need glasses to get me to PTS standard, normal colour vision though, so i have already passed friday's medical.

I'll bump this thread now and again keeping you up to date with things

nutter

i failed my medical due to having 0.1% of protein in my urine, but the HCC (whoever they are) have told NR to pass me regardless

My ref's have ****ed about (lost the forms and gone to france) so ive had to sort out two new ones, they have both replied already so i should hear from NR in the next week with a joining letter (whatever that is) and an equipment list for what i need

nutter

less than nothing. We just use their facilities to train, as they are the best, and we use some 'barracks' at HMS Colinwood for accomodation as there is 250 of us.

The worksops are massive, with the mechanical workshop being over an acre large

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Congratulations! :smile:

BTW, I believe Nick W is interested in the training scheme, but is worried about the navy aspect, so maybe you can put his mind at rest? ;)

Nick W

Established Member
Yorkie is correct.

So you don't have to endure a ship and get sea sick, you just use their engineering centres?

nutter

HMS Colinwood and HMS Sultan are both land based camps, no ships involved. The only mention of a ship will be when you see one. I'm not sure if you have to salut the ruperts or anything but for me that aint a biggy as i've done it for a year already

Honestly, you have nothing to loose by putting your name down for next years scheme. You get 4 days off (2 spent travelling) each month and 2 weeks 'off' at xmas and easter. I say 'off' because you will still have to go to your home depot to work. NR pay for all your transport too, you get the train or a plane from Newcastle or edinborough

The billets are modern, clean (until i've finished with 'em at least) but you arn't allowed a tv/radio without a TV licence, although NR supply you with a 42" in the dinning room. You have RM's on the gate so your stuff is pretty secure, there is a NAAFI on base (spar shop) with an atm

I really can't stress what a good deal it is if you can get on it, and this year there was a 1 in 10 chance, pretty high for a new career

If you wanted you could save ALL your money, as NR pays for everything NEEDED to survive, although you will need to do your own washing/ washing up if you do any extra, they give you enough clothes to survive, all your PPE and everything

IT IS SUCH A GOOD DEAL, even if you ain't intrested in engineering, go for it, they will get you intrested into engineering, and it's not just a job, it's a trade, a career, and alot of money to go with it

I'll be getting a tad under 400 quid pocketmoney each month (due to pension and tax) and after the first year i'll be getting 11K before tax and pensions, but it will be about 500 quid. In the 3rd year i'll be on 13K before tax, which works out about 600 a month, and then for me at least 21K - overtime which is about 750 a month. Not bad for a 20 yr old

You finish been a grade 3 engineering mechanical technician in either singalling, p-way or OHLE (big cables for electrics)

If there was one piece of advice for you guys and gals out there it wold be go for it

Hope that clears things up for you nick, oh yeah, you need 4 GCSE's at C or above, and be between the ages of 17 and 19

TheSlash

Established Member
I think you need to re work your sums, either that, or NR are paying you peanuts.
In your 3rd year, you'll still be almost £3k behind my basic, taking inflation into account.

TheSlash

Established Member
I wasn't deducted anything when i was an apprentice at SWT, they paid me £12k a year and we were the 2nd highest paid railway apprentices in the country, Thames trains being the highest

nutter

but theres 250 of us, 60k a piece. It was common back in the old days so i presume it's the same now. Even if i am being ripped off, i plan to go into train driving when i'm 30 ish anyway

TheSlash

Established Member
In the old days, i was 4 years younger than you.
Whilst we talk about changing history, the only thing i'd change is working for NR alot sooner

nutter

I'm not calling you old slash, i'm calling my dad old :) , he did a mechanical apprentiship on some turning machines back in the late 70's and he said you'd always be paid lower than your colluges for a few years whilst the company tries and gets it's money back quicker

paul1609

Established Member
Hi Nutter,
was walking across the bridge at Sultan today and wondering whether one of the railway children in front of me was you?
I teach gas turbines at Sultan by the way.
Hows the apprenticeship going?

nutter

Ok, I was in my waterproof, with bald patches all over the place, i have to be different you see.

I would have been about 13:10, i was on my own

It's good, except the food, and thats starting to drop at sultan now too.

I'm in the dolphin hanger at the moment until the end of the week, dismantling type 63's and HW1000 point machines (*sarcastic yeah*).
I normally have different trousers on to everyone else too, cause our manager refuses to supply us with waterprrof trousers, so i went out and got my own.

PM me if you want, we're in all day mon-fri and every other saturday

When i get home paul, i'll add you to my MSN contacts, if you ain't already on there, i think most people are

Status
Not open for further replies.