• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"I Tried to Run A Railway" by Gerard Fiennes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If anyone hasn't read this it's well worth buying. I got hold of a second hand copy a few years ago for a decent price and it was a very enjoyable read.

TheEdge

Established Member
Am I the only person who really wasn't impressed by it?

If anything I found it a really hard read due to the way its written.

341o2

Established Member
I still have my 1970's paperback, now falling apart and original HB purchased on eBay. Feinnes published this without consulting his bosses and made news by resigning rather than than face dismissal. Been described as an adult Thomas the tank engine

tsr

Established Member
I've just found that Amazon are listing (from a number of their third-party sellers, including some in the UK) new hardback copies for only £1-£2 more, available right now. I hadn't noticed this before - in fact, I could be sure it had long been unavailable.

Am I the only person who really wasn't impressed by it?

If anything I found it a really hard read due to the way its written.

I too find the style hard to read, but still fairly interesting.

Welshman

Established Member
"I tried......." is also currently available on kindle if you prefer the electronic version.

I have the paper 1973 edition, published by Ian Allan, which cost me the princely sum of £1.10p!! It's front cover has a picture of a deltic driver of D9012 smiling at the camera, whilst Fiennes on the platform is doing something interesting with his right-hand forefinger!

His later work "Fiennes on Rails" published after his death in 1986 by Jean Fiennes, is also a fascinating read.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I definitely found it a very enjoyable read. The only thing that made it a bit difficult to read at times was in trying to place the chronology. However, he didn't set out to write a railway history book, so for a normal reader strict chronology would be less important anyway.

satisnek

This is great news - I've been looking out for this ever since I bought 'Fiennes On Rails' a while back. I just hope that this reissue isn't full of typos like the Kindle edition is reported to be (funny how typos were extremely rare before the advent of computers...).

LAX54

Established Member

Busaholic

Veteran Member
This is great news - I've been looking out for this ever since I bought 'Fiennes On Rails' a while back. I just hope that this reissue isn't full of typos like the Kindle edition is reported to be (funny how typos were extremely rare before the advent of computers...).

Book publishers used to employ editors, but they are now rarer than hens' teeth.:)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
2017... or 2018 ? ! ............. This item will be released on 1 Jun. 2018. Pre-order now!

Well, I can't really answer that, but I do know that I borrowed a new hardback copy from my local library last month ... so it is out there somewhere!

I enjoyed it (as I thought I would), although a slight drawback was the references to lots of people that I hadn't heard of and didn't know. But, once I got used to the fact that it originally came out in the late 1960s and covered the thirty odd years before then, it fell into place and was a good read.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Hardback copies were on sale at the shop in the National Railway Museum in York last week. I didn't check on the price, as I already have a secondhand copy myself.

plymothian

£16.99 from Waterstones for the hardback - a bit steep probably for some, but I had a gift card expiring that day so had to use up as much of it as possible.

JohnR

This got Fiennes the sack (or early retirement) - Barbara Castle not impressed.

No, it was BRB Chairman Stanley Raymond who was not impressed and sacked Gerry Fiennes. Barbara Castle sacked Raymond a few months later!

Status
Not open for further replies.