• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ian Brady has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day everyone,

The BBC are reporting that Ian Brady has died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39929538

Moors Murderer Ian Brady, who killed five children with Myra Hindley, has died aged 79.

A Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust spokesman said: "We can confirm a 79-year-old patient in long term care at Ashworth High Secure Hospital has died after becoming physically unwell."

Brady was jailed for three murders in 1966 and later confessed to two more.
He had been held at Ashworth Hospital, a secure psychiatric unit in Merseyside, since 1985...
Whilst we should really be rejoicing at this news there is now no real hope of ever finding the body of Keith Bennett and that is desperately sad. There can be no doubt that Ian Brady knew where he is buried but he was a cruel and vindictive man to his last breath.

Richmond Commuter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarltonA

Brady had been in custody since 1966. I was trying to look up who has been inside the longest now. Possibly it is Donald Neilson - banged up in 1976.

Last edited:

SteveP29

Brady had been in custody since 1966. I was trying to look up who has been inside the longest now. Possibly it is Donald Neilson - banged up in 1976.

Neilson died in 2011 according to Wikipedia.

Seems Robert Maudsley is now Britain's longest serving (no, I've never heard of him either, although I was only 5 at the time of his incarceration)

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Neilson died in 2011 according to Wikipedia.

Seems Robert Maudsley is now Britain's longest serving (no, I've never heard of him either, although I was only 5 at the time of his incarceration)

Was allegedly ( perhaps still is) held in solitary confinement in a glass Hannibal Lecter like cell inside Wakefield Jail.

A total nut job with a genius IQ who had a terrible childhood and drug abuse. Deemed unfit to plead after a killing his first victim he was sent Boradmoor and killed there. Found fit to plead he was convicted of manslaughter & sent to Wakefield. He killed two in Wakefield ( because he could) and then calmly informed the wardens they would be 2 short at roll call.

he will remain in solitary for the rest of his life with no prospect of release. He is said to be the most dangerous man in Britain.

jonathan01n

Good that scum has died, I hope next will be Rosemary West , Ian Huntley and those who commit heinous crimes against people. I wish they starve to die without using a penny.

Immurement

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Good that scum has died, I hope next will be Rosemary West , Ian Huntley and those who commit heinous crimes against people. I wish they starve to die without using a penny.

thanks for that mature response.

Personally I would prefer we kept them alive as long as possible regardless of the cost. Death is no punishment and it certainly shouldn't come at a time of their choosing.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
thanks for that mature response.

Personally I would prefer we kept them alive as long as possible regardless of the cost. Death is no punishment and it certainly shouldn't come at a time of their choosing.

I think the Government should have done a deal with Ian Brady; show us where the body of Keith Bennett is and we will discharge you from the hospital. Yes it would have given Ian Brady what he wanted but at least Keith Bennett's family would have been able to give him a decent burial.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I think the Government should have done a deal with Ian Brady; show us where the body of Keith Bennett is and we will discharge you from the hospital. Yes it would have given Ian Brady what he wanted but at least Keith Bennett's family would have been able to give him a decent burial.

It seems rather odd, in principle, that the Government can unilaterally cut a deal with hostile paramilitaries over constitutional issues, but not with a single murderer over a single body. It is desperately sad Keith Bennett is unlikely ever to be found.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

It seems rather odd, in principle, that the Government can unilaterally cut a deal with hostile paramilitaries over constitutional issues, but not with a single murderer over a single body. It is desperately sad Keith Bennett is unlikely ever to be found.

And if he lied or the body could not be found or the remains had decayed or the body was not buried in one place etc etc? What then?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And if he lied or the body could not be found or the remains had decayed or the body was not buried in one place etc etc? What then?

He (anyone else who cuts such deals) goes back to where they came from. Or, preferably, they don't get anything until their part of the deal comes through.

RichmondCommu

Established Member

Well obviously Ian Brady would only have been discharged from hospital if the body was found.

Given the acidity of the soil up on the moors there is a strong chance that there is still something to be found. The problem is the moors are vast and not all the children were buried in the same place. None of the other children were mutilated so there is no reason to suggest that happened to Keith Bennett.

Lankyline

There is a very good article about Brady from former BBC news reporter Peter Gould who has 300 letters from Brady. It's on the BBC news website titled "Ian Brady Letters - Inside the Mind of the Moors Murderer" (sorry haven't got a link)
I cannot begin to understand the torment Keith Bennett's family must have gone through with Brady's promises of help to find Keith's body, when in reality he was after the publicity he craved.
I hope he died in the same pain that his victims must have endured at his and Hindley's hands.
On a footnote, the coroner has asked for assurances, before releasing his body, that his ashes will not be scattered on Saddleworth Moor!

Darandio

Established Member
On a footnote, the coroner has asked for assurances, before releasing his body, that his ashes will not be scattered on Saddleworth Moor!

Indeed. Given that his lawyer has said he spoke to him less than two hours before his death to discuss funeral arrangements, one can assume that he probably made this request.

Not surprising of course, and no doubt intended to cause even more pain and suffering.

Groningen

Established Member
I am not sure whether a thread for people that kill is worth the effort.

Antman

Established Member
There is a suggestion that Brady may have left details with his solicitor about the whereabouts of Keith Bennett?

I'm sure there is a place in hell waiting for Brady.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
There is a suggestion that Brady may have left details with his solicitor about the whereabouts of Keith Bennett?

I'm sure there is a place in hell waiting for Brady.

Yes I'd read that some time a go. At the very least I wonder whether he'd drawn a map showing where Keith Bennett is buried.

Established Member
I don't think he is really worth discussing either really, just remember those he murdered.

Parallel

Established Member
I highly doubt he told his solicitor where Keith was buried. There's also the possibility that due to ill health that he might not have even remembered in his later years.

Sad that Keith's family will probably never get closure. Awful.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I highly doubt he told his solicitor where Keith was buried. There's also the possibility that due to ill health that he might not have even remembered in his later years.

Given that was all he had to live for I'd be astonished if he'd not made detailed notes as to where Keith Bennett was buried. He gained huge gratification from being able to torment Keith Bennett's family.

Antman

Established Member

Sad that Keith's family will probably never get closure. Awful.

Who knows? In Brady's warped mind he might have liked the idea of still being in the news after he's gone.

radamfi

Established Member

I can see your point. Murder is part of the world we live in and will probably always be the case, barring technological advances. It is all very well saying "oh, what a bad person" but it doesn't stop murders happening.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Am I the only one who finds it strange that people who don't think it's worth having a thread on the subject feel it necessary to not only read it, but actually comment on it as well? :|

furnessvale

Established Member
The coroner is refusing to release Brady's body without assurances that his ashes will not be scattered on Saddleworth Moor as he wanted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39940080

Sadly, the coroner has no legal right to enforce his request.

In the end, Brady can have his last laugh at the expense of the families.

If the site of his ashes is made public, I for one will feel the need to relieve myself each time I pass that way.

Hornet

There was something uniquely evil about Brady and Hindley, that entered the in the psyche of the British people in that era (the 60's). To me it was reading the news reports of Detectives openly crying in court, as the last moments of 10 year old Leslie Ann Downey's life were played out on audio tape. Brady's controlling nature over Hindley, and later over the families of the victims, who wanted to find the remains of their loved ones, so as to give them a proper funeral, just re-inforced the evil in him.

Ironically Brady is the reason that I would never support the re-introduction of the death penalty. He had wanted to die for a long time. He refused food and was force fed for many years. He could not control his own final destiny, as he had controlled so many other aspects of his perverted past. It must have been absolute torture for him not to be able to be in control of that last part of his life, a part where he wanted to choose to die on his own terms. I am glad he was denied that choice. I am glad his last years were a personal hell for him. It was the least that could have happened to him. I don't believe in an after life so his suffering, unlike the family of Keith Bennett, has ended. I'm just glad that he did suffer at the end.

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
There was something uniquely evil about Brady and Hindley, that entered the in the psyche of the British people in that era (the 60's). To me it was reading the news reports of Detectives openly crying in court, as the last moments of 10 year old Leslie Ann Downey's life were played out on audio tape. Brady's controlling nature over Hindley, and later over the families of the victims, who wanted to find the remains of their loved ones, so as to give them a proper funeral, just re-inforced the evil in him.

Ironically Brady is the reason that I would never support the re-introduction of the death penalty. He had wanted to die for a long time. He refused food and was force fed for many years. He could not control his own final destiny, as he had controlled so many other aspects of his perverted past. It must have been absolute torture for him not to be able to be in control of that last part of his life, a part where he wanted to choose to die on his own terms. I am glad he was denied that choice. I am glad his last years were a personal hell for him. It was the least that could have happened to him. I don't believe in an after life so his suffering, unlike the family of Keith Bennett, has ended. I'm just glad that he did suffer at the end.

The only reason that he was force fed is because he was deemed mentally ill.

I dread to think how much it has cost keeping Brady alive for the last 50 odd years.

Status
Not open for further replies.