• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ice disruption in Southern area 12/02/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBSCR Times

Is the 'advice' from control posted in the late notice case? It is at our depot and therefore given the wording of the notice is fairly unambiguous I use it at instructed between the times specified regardless as to whether the tcms issues a prompt. I would rather use it and skip about a bit than have to account for a train failure when I failed to use it. I know a lot of drivers don't for the very reason they don't like how the train handles over points and section gaps, but I would say it depends on where your notice is posted and on the precise wording of that notice - i.e. is it advisory or is it an instruction?

It's an instruction.
It is sent to all the Resource Managers, stating 'Ice Mode is required'.
It should then be posted in the Late Notice cases.
It is also posted on the various drivers advice screens on the TL route.

However, on the day in question, there were only pockets of ice. In the majority of areas there wasn't any, hence why many drivers were probably not operating in Ice Mode.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philthetube

Established Member
Depends on how you drive a 442! I guess they didn't teach them that well over on SN land, I never had any issues with power collection or traction in icy conditions or in poor adhesion conditions either. :D

If there is ice on the rails you cannot pick up power, while you can try to avoid stopping and hope to coast through affected areas, obviously, that is not always an option.

Stations are not often not affected by ice, presumably the lighting provides enough heat to prevent it forming.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
If there is ice on the rails you cannot pick up power, while you can try to avoid stopping and hope to coast through affected areas, obviously, that is not always an option.

Stations are not often not affected by ice, presumably the lighting provides enough heat to prevent it forming.

Thick ice maybe, thin ice not necessarily, you apply power and wait, you'll get a lot of arcing and sparking, but once you get moving, the arcing will then melt the ice for the other shoes.

But they don't train people to use their brains and use initiative these days, due to Elf & Safetee!

tsr

Established Member
On what routes?

Horsham area, I believe. The Southern network is running well at present in general, but two overnights are cancelled (0309 London Bridge-Three Bridges / 0359 Three Bridges-Ldn Victoria) and there are altered formations on at least 2 trains so far. "Ghost trains" to clear ice will run, which are the likely causes for these. There will also be de-icer trains running.

RichardKing

Horsham area, I believe. The Southern network is running well at present in general, but two overnights are cancelled (0309 London Bridge-Three Bridges / 0359 Three Bridges-Ldn Victoria) and there are altered formations on at least 2 trains so far. "Ghost trains" to clear ice will run, which are the likely causes for these. There will also be de-icer trains running.

It's good to hear that there are no (or very little) problems occurring at present!

There is a de-icer train due to run between Keymer Junction and Lewes in a few hours time. It'll have the down line covered before any passenger trains operate, but the up line will remain untreated until after 1F01 has passed. I'm not entirely sure this is a wise idea after Friday morning's chaos with this train!

Elsewhere, 5F01 (Eastbourne to Hastings) and 5F02 (Hastings to Eastbourne) will be running this morning for ice clearance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.