• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'd like to ride a Pendolino 390 (near Burton on Trent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon E

Hi as title suggests I need to travel on a Pendolino 390, preferably on the Burton to Derby route. starting from either outward or return journey (both would be fantastic! stopover in Derby could be anything from 20 mins to a couple of hours) I believe they run on this route, how do I make sure I book a ticket that is likely to be one? sorry to add a random in the mix but it would help if it was a Thursday

I would like to add that this forum is great and very friendly towards me who strangely knows not an awful lot about trains!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thanks for you reply I did actually change the stations after your reply. Sorry but they are still on the same route. Shame any 390's running out of Derby anywhere?

No, 390s only run on routes where one end is London Euston, I'm afraid. So pop across to Birmingham and take a trip to Euston perhaps?

Simon E

Please forgive my noviceness (if thats a word) that Euston Train would start in Birmingham? My problem I'd like to to travel on it as part of an article I'm writing, the ticket and associated parking would probably at least be half what I'll get paid for the article lol! so I was thinking a short hop as it were. anything on the Derby - Crewe line? but it does have to be a 390 not a voyager

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Please forgive my noviceness (if thats a word) that Euston Train would start in Birmingham? My problem I'd like to to travel on it as part of an article I'm writing, the ticket and associated parking would probably at least be half what I'll get paid lol! so I was thinking a short hop as it were. anything on the Derby - Crewe line?

Pendolinos run only on the following routes:
Euston-Glasgow/Edinburgh (via Birmingham and otherwise)
Euston-Manchester
Euston-Liverpool

Some services to Glasgow/Edinburgh via Birmingham are Voyagers, but most aren't.

If you want a really short hop, perhaps Brum-Wolves or Brum-Cov?

pdeaves

Established Member
Hi as title suggests I need to travel on a Pendolino 390, preferably on the Burton to Derby route. starting from either outward or return journey (both would be fantastic! stopover in Derby could be anything from 20 mins to a couple of hours) I believe they run on this route, how do I make sure I book a ticket that is likely to be one? sorry to add a random in the mix but it would help if it was a Thursday

I would like to add that this forum is great and very friendly towards me who strangely knows not an awful lot about trains!
Knowing that you have asked about the APT in a different thread, I feel compelled to ask: do you want the Pendolino (class 390) to tilt on your journey? If so, that will narrow down suitable journey opportunities. Someone else will be able to tell you where tilting areas are, if that's something you need.

Simon E

Pendolinos run only on the following routes:
Euston-Glasgow/Edinburgh (via Birmingham and otherwise)
Euston-Manchester
Euston-Liverpool

Some services to Glasgow/Edinburgh via Birmingham are Voyagers, but most aren't.
Thank you for your excellent knowledge I might try the Birmingham To Coventry but can I ask the Euston to Manchester Route where does that pass through near(ish) to me in Burton on Trent?

Knowing that you have asked about the APT in a different thread, I feel compelled to ask: do you want the Pendolino (class 390) to tilt on your journey? If so, that will narrow down suitable journey opportunities. Someone else will be able to tell you where tilting areas are, if that's something you need.

You are very perceptive! its not so much the tilt but riding the (spiritual) successor to the APT. I believe Virgin did a photo shoot with the APT and 390 at Crewe when they introduced them. But extreme tilt would be an added bonus!

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon E

okay folks... now to change the train day goal post as it were... I thought I'd be travelling on my day off (thursday) my darling wife has expressed an interest in coming with me! so any Pendolinos running Lichfield - Stafford running on Sundays @RailWonderer any ideas?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
From Burton, Tamworth is probably better for you. If you want anything more substantial than Tamworth to Lichfield, you have roughly:
1800 Tamworth - Lichfield - Warrington
1901 Tamworth - Lichfield - Warrington
1944 Tamworth - Lichfield - Crewe
2043 Tamworth - Lichfield - Stafford - Crewe
2135 Tamworth - Lichfield - Stafford - Crewe

All Pendos. Make sure you have a train back.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
okay folks... now to change the train day goal post as it were... I thought I'd be travelling on my day off (thursday) my darling wife has expressed an interest in coming with me! so any Pendolinos running Lichfield - Stafford running on Sundays @RailWonderer any ideas?
Nothing this Sunday from Tamworth except at 2139 Tamworth - Lichfield - Crewe.

From Lichfield:
1102 Lichfield - Stafford - Crewe (Connection 1020 from Tamworth but nothing from Burton so you will have to drive.)

Simon E

Nothing this Sunday from Tamworth except at 2139 Tamworth - Lichfield - Crewe.

From Lichfield:
1102 Lichfield - Stafford - Crewe (Connection 1020 from Tamworth but nothing from Burton so you will have to drive.)
Happy to drive to either Lichfield or Tamworth. I'm ten minutes from Lichfield and twenty from Tamworth. so is 11.02 off Lichfield to Stafford a 390?

Simon E

Thats Lichfield City not Trent valley? I'll look into that then might even manage to get Little-E off his computer.

As I've said previously everyone on here is so helpful and friendly on here!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Lichfield Trent Valley - low level platforms.

If you went to Lichfield City you'll be waiting there all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.