• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Identifying trains on approach (front/rear) on EMR and South Eastern trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

PathFinderUK

Is there a way of quickly identifying EMR and South Eastern trains on approach to determine which is the front or rear?

With EMR trains, on departure, A could be at the front or rear and the same with coach G if I'm not mistaken? Sometimes there's 2 first class coaches. Is there a way to tell by appearance for accessibility purposes (where ramp is required)?

As soon as the gates open, people rush on board at peak times and it's busy on platforms and even if ramp is already placed down, the view might be obstructed by sheer amount of people.

Also, the coach names beside the door might not have any text on before the doors open.

I see some EMR trains have bike logos on them (like in the picture) but it's normally a very small sticker on the end of a coach. Other times there's 2 trains on the platform and I'm often unsure which side of the train I'm supposed to be heading to (which is front and which is rear) as the view of my train on the platform is being blocked by the train beside it.

Am I right in thinking the trains on South Eastern with the 2 yellow dots on the coach is the front?

Is there a way to determine this with EMR trains?

I am aware some trains on EMR are numbered like the one to Corby and they have accessibility coaches usually in the second coach either side?

I know there's a few queries above. Any help would be most welcome. Thank you.

Attachments

• PXL_20230809_112145486.jpeg
    PXL_20230809_112145486.jpeg
    806.4 KB · Views: 100
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BJames

Established Member
Welcome to the forum!

EMR trains reverse a fair bit so it's 50/50 for me as to whether coach A will be at the front or rear. Realtimetrains has a note that EMR gives unreliable data with regards to orientation so it's not always accurate on there.

However - if you are boarding at St Pancras (which I'm gathering based on comments about people rushing to the train) - on the departure screens it will tell you where first class is located - there is a scrolling message at the bottom of the display that always states 'first class in the [front/rear] two coaches' for example. I'd say that's the most reliable indicator I know of unless anyone does know any specific features of the train (I mean, sometimes you can just see the yellow lines of first class if it's not at the far end of the platform, which would indicate first class at the rear). Must admit I've never noticed these bike logos.

But importantly regarding accessibility - I'm not certain I've understood what you're saying but if by this you mean that you need a ramp then speak to staff at St Pancras. They'll get you on first. Even if you don't need a wheelchair but you need extra time speak to them and the chances are they will let you on first. I regularly see them doing this.

agourdie

Is there a way of quickly identifying EMR and South Eastern trains on approach to determine which is the front or rear?

With EMR trains, on departure, A could be at the front or rear and the same with coach G if I'm not mistaken? Sometimes there's 2 first class coaches. Is there a way to tell by appearance for accessibility purposes (where ramp is required)?

As soon as the gates open, people rush on board at peak times and it's busy on platforms and even if ramp is already placed down, the view might be obstructed by sheer amount of people.

Also, the coach names beside the door might not have any text on before the doors open.

I see some EMR trains have bike logos on them (like in the picture) but it's normally a very small sticker on the end of a coach. Other times there's 2 trains on the platform and I'm often unsure which side of the train I'm supposed to be heading to (which is front and which is rear) as the view of my train on the platform is being blocked by the train beside it.

Am I right in thinking the trains on South Eastern with the 2 yellow dots on the coach is the front?

Is there a way to determine this with EMR trains?

I am aware some trains on EMR are numbered like the one to Corby and they have accessibility coaches usually in the second coach either side?

I know there's a few queries above. Any help would be most welcome. Thank you.
I have not been on EMR in a while but the first class end did have a small yellow panel just above the coupler. This may have changed however.

MCR247

Established Member
Coach A has a bicycle sticker on the lower right of the front of the unit (as seen in your image), whereas coach G has the yellow bar on the coupler

PathFinderUK

Welcome to the forum!

EMR trains reverse a fair bit so it's 50/50 for me as to whether coach A will be at the front or rear. Realtimetrains has a note that EMR gives unreliable data with regards to orientation so it's not always accurate on there.

However - if you are boarding at St Pancras (which I'm gathering based on comments about people rushing to the train) - on the departure screens it will tell you where first class is located - there is a scrolling message at the bottom of the display that always states 'first class in the [front/rear] two coaches' for example. I'd say that's the most reliable indicator I know of unless anyone does know any specific features of the train (I mean, sometimes you can just see the yellow lines of first class if it's not at the far end of the platform, which would indicate first class at the rear). Must admit I've never noticed these bike logos.

But importantly regarding accessibility - I'm not certain I've understood what you're saying but if by this you mean that you need a ramp then speak to staff at St Pancras. They'll get you on first. Even if you don't need a wheelchair but you need extra time speak to them and the chances are they will let you on first. I regularly
Welcome to the forum!

But importantly regarding accessibility - I'm not certain I've understood what you're saying but if by this you mean that you need a ramp then speak to staff at St Pancras. They'll get you on first. Even if you don't need a wheelchair but you need extra time speak to them and the chances are they will let you on first. I regularly see them doing this.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi. Thanks for the welcome.

You are right about the yellow lines as indicators of first class coach. I'll try to keep an eye out for this. It's just a nightmare if the train is in the far end of the platform. People easily overtake even if you get a headstart when it goes up live on screen.

EMR staff do allow you to go past the gates but due to uncertainty of which platform the train is leaving from until a bit before they hit the screens, it can still be slow going.

Yeah, they're very helpful with the ramp but they're unsure of what train is leaving from which platform until they too have been told.

The bike logo I've included in the original post.

I have not been on EMR in a while but the first class end did have a small yellow panel just above the coupler. This may have changed however.
Yes, it still has it. I was wondering if there were any other indicators like in front of the train as sometimes 2 trains leave from same platform and if it could be noticeable from a distance. Thanks.

agourdie

Yes, it still has it. I was wondering if there were any other indicators like in front of the train as sometimes 2 trains leave from same platform and if it could be noticeable from a distance. Thanks.
Maybe Realtime Trains website would be helpful. It does tend to have the formations the correct way around but not 100%.

baz962

Established Member
Hi. Thanks for the welcome.

You are right about the yellow lines as indicators of first class coach. I'll try to keep an eye out for this. It's just a nightmare if the train is in the far end of the platform. People easily overtake even if you get a headstart when it goes up live on screen.

EMR staff do allow you to go past the gates but due to uncertainty of which platform the train is leaving from until a bit before they hit the screens, it can still be slow going.

Yeah, they're very helpful with the ramp but they're unsure of what train is leaving from which platform until they too have been told.

The bike logo I've included in the original post.

I don't have any photos but the first class coaches also have a long yellow strip along the top all the way along and has 1st on it near the roofline. Edit I found one.

Attachments

• 1000004792.jpg
    1000004792.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32

Doomotron

The end of the Class 395 with yellow buffers is the end with accessible facilities. If the buffers are unpainted, it only has a standard toilet.

baz962

Established Member
I took a better picture while there yesterday. Yellow line with 1st written in .

Attachments

• 1000009398.jpg
    1000009398.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

PathFinderUK

The end of the Class 395 with yellow buffers is the end with accessible facilities. If the buffers are unpainted, it only has a standard toilet.
Thank you!

I took a better picture while there yesterday. Yellow line with 1st written in .
Many thanks! Yes, it's usually coach A or G I'm advised to go in because of ramp as there's room for wheelchair user in both but not 2 in a same coach. So even if the ticket is booked on another coach that's not A or G, if the wheelchair can't be folded, they either put me in coach A or G. And first class has the yellow strip on the coach.

baz962

Established Member
Thank you!

Many thanks! Yes, it's usually coach A or G I'm advised to go in because of ramp as there's room for wheelchair user in both but not 2 in a same coach. So even if the ticket is booked on another coach that's not A or G, if the wheelchair can't be folded, they either put me in coach A or G. And first class has the yellow strip on the coach.
You are welcome. G is first class btw and A is the bicycle end on a five car .

Status
Not open for further replies.