• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

IET running on diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Ladbroke Grove saw speed limits in Paddington area decreased to 40/50mph. Reading area limited speed limits were decreased to 50mph for many years - increasing journey times. ATP in particular limited top speeds to appx 122/123mph for power cars with worn wheelsets.
Even allowing for those things, the schedules were still not exactly tight once you take into account the more restricted running speeds in those locations.

The two morning services which did Swindon-Paddington non-stop (re-introduced after a couple of years on FHW where nothing omitted Reading) only averaged about 80mph from memory, hardly taxing. GWR Castles could make that kind of performance back in the 1930s for goodness' sakes! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Even allowing for those things, the schedules were still not exactly tight once you take into account the more restricted running speeds in those locations.

The two morning services which did Swindon-Paddington non-stop (re-introduced after a couple of years on FHW where nothing omitted Reading) only averaged about 80mph from memory, hardly taxing. GWR Castles could make that kind of performance back in the 1930s for goodness' sakes! :lol:
Quite. FGW's approach to performance issues was not to address the issues but to add more performance "fat" to the schedules. Of course, all that did was embed the sloppy operating as normal.

Railperf

Established Member

Depends exactly what hp they were putting out, a loadbank test of an ex-EMT VP185 power car had the power car producing, in Notch 5, a continuous output of 1,814hp at the traction motors. The continuous rating is 1,770hp - so in my view it would depend more on how well maintained the engines were rather than simply their age.

Some Deltic Napier engines were found to be inadvertently churning out close to 2,000hp in preservation after overhaul! ;)
There are no official stats published to prove this, but many drivers reckon the Valentas had better low-down acceleration than the MTU engined versions.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Depends exactly what hp they were putting out, a loadbank test of an ex-EMT VP185 power car had the power car producing, in Notch 5, a continuous output of 1,814hp at the traction motors. The continuous rating is 1,770hp - so in my view it would depend more on how well maintained the engines were rather than simply their age.

Some Deltic Napier engines were found to be inadvertently churning out close to 2,000hp in preservation after overhaul! ;)
Know wildly off topic but unless engine set up on a load bank power can vary considerably. Rumours were some class 50s were producing in excess of 3000hp if set up in a depot with no load bank. This was backed up by some people doing performance tests on the train hauled by said locos. Be interesting to get some preserved locos on load banks to see what they are producing as probably almost all set up by hand but that's for another thread maybe?

northernbelle

The other factor is that the railway became much busier over time - on the Paddington to Reading route 4 Heathrow Expresses were squeezed onto the fast lines from 1998 using 100mph stock, not to mention the half-hourly Cardiffs and others. More trains on the same infrastructure can lead to longer running times as trains become more prone to meet restrictive signals and therefore run more slowly.

Far better to commit to taking longer and arriving on time than it is to over promise and under deliver - all most passengers care about is the arrival time at their destination and it being achieved reliably.

ATW158Xpress

Is there issues with OLE in the Severn Tunnel as all IET are running on diesel and the daily 387 service been cut back to Bristol Parkway?

JN114

Established Member
Is there issues with OLE in the Severn Tunnel as all IET are running on diesel and the daily 387 service been cut back to Bristol Parkway?

Yes, a fault was discovered Sunday evening. Electric operation prohibited until repairs undertaken - there’s a hope that it’ll get fixed one of the weeknights this week, otherwise it will be over the weekend.

As I understand IETs are changing over at Bristol Parkway (static) and West of Severn Tunnel Junction (dynamic)

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Correct there's an ongoing issue - 387s obviously can't go through the tunnels and hence the service is curtailed (although only one diagram M-F).

I see @JN114 beat me to it.

FGWHST43009

Yeah yesterday I was trainspotting at Cardiff Central and all of the 2 tph Paddington services I saw were operated by 800s or 802s. Some arrived from Paddington on diesel mode, probably didn't bother raising the pantograph after switching to diesel before the Severn Tunnel.

Railperf

Established Member
The other factor is that the railway became much busier over time - on the Paddington to Reading route 4 Heathrow Expresses were squeezed onto the fast lines from 1998 using 100mph stock, not to mention the half-hourly Cardiffs and others. More trains on the same infrastructure can lead to longer running times as trains become more prone to meet restrictive signals and therefore run more slowly.

Far better to commit to taking longer and arriving on time than it is to over promise and under deliver - all most passengers care about is the arrival time at their destination and it being achieved reliably.
In the perfect world the HeX services should really have been 125mph EMU's - especially as the Class 800's now have equal acceleration to the 387's.
Leaving Paddington was never really an issue as the HEx romped away from HST's leaving Paddington due to faster acceleration and could clear airport Jn for the following HST to come through. Nowadays the IET's on electric accelerate as quickly and can catch the HEx simply because they can reach 125mph by HAnwell. So a slightly longer headway is needed now than before.
On the Up it was a different story - trying to thread HST's consistently through Airport Jn at their allocated timeslot was not easy - especially if the HST had experienced some sort of delay in the west. The HeX seemed to be given priority at Airport Jn to maintain its reliability stats, and therefore any delayed HST approaching Airport Jn close to the HeX time slot could end up running on caution signals and then limping back to Paddington behind the slower HeX.

Where a HST did meet its allocated timeslot on time - and assuming the HeX was not delayed, then less than 4 mins headway would cause the faster HST to start seeing caution signals and end up running slower through the suburbs. Hence much slower schedules on the up, including a bit of padding to help achieve a good PPM.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In the perfect world the HeX services should really have been 125mph EMU's - especially as the Class 800's now have equal acceleration to the 387's.
Leaving Paddington was never really an issue as the HEx romped away from HST's leaving Paddington due to faster acceleration and could clear airport Jn for the following HST to come through. Nowadays the IET's on electric accelerate as quickly and can catch the HEx simply because they can reach 125mph by HAnwell. So a slightly longer headway is needed now than before.
On the Up it was a different story - trying to thread HST's consistently through Airport Jn at their allocated timeslot was not easy - especially if the HST had experienced some sort of delay in the west. The HeX seemed to be given priority at Airport Jn to maintain its reliability stats, and therefore any delayed HST approaching Airport Jn close to the HeX time slot could end up running on caution signals and then limping back to Paddington behind the slower HeX.

Where a HST did meet its allocated timeslot on time - and assuming the HeX was not delayed, then less than 4 mins headway would cause the faster HST to start seeing caution signals and end up running slower through the suburbs. Hence much slower schedules on the up, including a bit of padding to help achieve a good PPM.

I'm not sure I'd worry about this now, as I still think there is a very good chance that Crossrail will kill HEx stone dead, as while HEx will be quicker to Paddington, Paddington is in the sticks, so Crossrail will be faster to most of the rest of London and cheaper too.

Taunton

Established Member
Is the HEx subject to PPM reporting, it being an independent operation?

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Would also question the complete accuracy from an app you can download on your phone versus a speedometer built into a modern train cab.
I would have thought the app would be more accurate as it's purely a mathematical calculation and there's nothing mechanical (such as measuring wheel rotations) involved. Especially when travelling in a straight line - on a curve granted the GPS might give a slight under-reading as the straight line distance will be shorter than the distance actually travelled and it might think you haven't travelled as far as you actually have. I suppose it depends on the interval over which the GPS determines the speed (I don't know this but suspect it's only a few seconds therefore fairly accurate).

Last edited:

Dai Corner

Established Member
I would have thought the app would be more accurate as it's purely a mathematical calculation and there's nothing mechanical (such as measuring wheel rotations) involved. Especially when travelling in a straight line - on a curve granted the GPS might give a slight under-reading as the straight line distance will be shorter than the distance actually travelled and it might think you haven't travelled as far as you actually have. I suppose it depends on the interval over which the GPS determines the speed (I don't know this but suspect it's only a few seconds therefore fairly accurate).
Accuracy will also depend on how accurately the GPS device can calculate its position, which in turn depends on how many satellites it can 'see' (I think). Even sat here in my house, my phone thinks it's several metres away from where it actually is.

Ken H

On Moderation
Accuracy will also depend on how accurately the GPS device can calculate its position, which in turn depends on how many satellites it can 'see' (I think). Even sat here in my house, my phone thinks it's several metres away from where it actually is.
GPS needs a clear sky view. Sat in a tin box it will only see a few satellites. Some buildings are also effective radio black holes. My house has thick stone walls and no radio (Mobile, VHF)radio gets inside.
so accurate speed by GPS in a train is difficult. balancing your phone on the windowsill may help, but not a lot.

coppercapped

Established Member
I'm not sure I'd worry about this now, as I still think there is a very good chance that Crossrail will kill HEx stone dead, as while HEx will be quicker to Paddington, Paddington is in the sticks, so Crossrail will be faster to most of the rest of London and cheaper too.
I've got news for you...

...'the sticks' are being rapidly covered with bricks and mortar, steel, concrete and glass. Soon the Borough of Paddington will be seen to be an integral part of the city of Westminster. ;)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've got news for you...

...'the sticks' are being rapidly covered with bricks and mortar, steel, concrete and glass. Soon the Borough of Paddington will be seen to be an integral part of the city of Westminster. ;)

It still isn't anywhere near where most people want to go compared with Euston etc. The main business/financial centres are a long way east with little sign of that changing, and people don't generally fly to Heathrow to go shopping at Westfield.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Just to add my comment on this, I had my first experience longhauling an IET on diesel mode just before New Year heading down from Paddington to St Erth. I find it quite surprising to see the posts above because the difference in acceleration between diesel mode and electric was a lot more substantial than I expected. While I know of a couple of gradients that are steep on that route, there must have been at least a dozen separate occasions where even at full power the unit was decelerating, at relatively low speeds too, probably below 40mph at a few points (identifiable by the controller for the traction motors changing modes and the unit continuing to slow down for considerable time thereafter.) Although the service was delayed anyway due to a change in calling pattern, almost every single stop lost time once on diesel mode. I suppose it's possible there was an engine out somewhere in the formation but as a 9-car unit I wouldn't have expected this to have been as drastic as it would be with a 5. Certainly, the 150 I travelled the route on last time round felt considerably faster. I know you'd get much more of a sense of speed on a rattly old thing like that, but hearing the GU running flat out for about three minutes solid and looking out the window to see the scenery crawling past was eye-opening to say the least. I'm sure HSTs performed way better than this.
This is the service I was on

notadriver

Established Member
Ladbroke Grove saw speed limits in Paddington area decreased to 40/50mph. Reading area limited speed limits were decreased to 50mph for many years - increasing journey times. ATP in particular limited top speeds to appx 122/123mph for power cars with worn wheelsets.

ATP does not limit speeds - a warning isn’t sounded until speed has exceeded the limit by 3 mph.

II

I suppose it's possible there was an engine out somewhere in the formation but as a 9-car unit I wouldn't have expected this to have been as drastic as it would be with a 5.
To lose that much time it's very probable there was an engine out. Quite possible a second one wasn't 'giving its all' or indeed out as well. When all engines are working they keep to time without much trouble.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To lose that much time it's very probable there was an engine out. Quite possible a second one wasn't 'giving its all' or indeed out as well. When all engines are working they keep to time without much trouble.

I have been on a 9 car that lost time in near enough exactly the same way as the OP's, in particular running very slowly up the bank towards Plymouth then speeding up once on the way down. It definitely did have at least one engine out.

Taunton

Established Member
I find it extraordinary, all this discussion about multiple engines out in a train, as if this is an everyday event to be expected. Recalling the twin-engined hydraulics of 50-60 years ago, despite all that modern-day commentators say about them, I cannot recall a single instance of a Warship or Western running with one engine out, or losing one while under way. Has there been any analysis of common factors that are causing this? Is it some basic issue, like them running out of fuel? That I DID experience with a Warship.

I seem to recall comments when the IET first came along that the contract with Hitachi centres around how many trains are offered for service each day, with penalties if the full required complement is not provided. Is there some factor here that trains can be offered for a service day with one engine out - or insufficient fuel - but the contract has been met.

There is also an expectation above that a proportion of diagrams on the electric lines are being run on diesel; certainly the last time I arrived at Paddington on an IET I was surprised that, once again, the diesels were running. This also seems surprising. Whatever is the reason for this having become common?

Railperf

Established Member
A professional GPS speed measuring device such as Racelogic Vbox and its derivatives use Doppler shift within the GPS signal primarily to calculate speed - rather than position. If the antenna is located in the centre of the window with a good view of the sky, the results are surprisingly accurate - possibly more accurate than a train speedo - where the train speedo is reliant on a specific wheel diameter. These devices rely on an external antenna the size of a matchbox and some sort of ground plane. Or a ground plane antenna that is the size of a 10cm plate.
Accuracy can be affected by obstacles such as tall buildings, deep cuttings, heavy foliage. But in the main the results are surprisingly accurate with good equipment.

The accuracy of any phone GPS app relies on the accuracy of the GPS chipset and how the app has been designed to read the GPS data.

Phone apps such as Harry's GPS Lap timer try to use the doppler shift. Best results are obtained using an external bluetooth GPS device. The Dual XGPS 160 is one of the better external devices as it refreshes at 10hz and uses both GPS and Glonass signals - increasing the reliability of the signal and ensuring more satellites are in view at any one time.

Whereas most phones internal GPS refresh at only 1 hz and the antenna is compromised as it has to fit within the limited space of a device primarily used for making calls and sending receiving internet data. Therefore the antenna size within most mobile phones is quite small and not suited to decent GPS reception, but okay for hiking etc - but not accurate speed measurement.

ATP does not limit speeds - a warning isn’t sounded until speed has exceeded the limit by 3 mph.
I understood from various GWR drivers on this and other forums that they would drive more cautiously to avoid ATP braking interventions - which could occur at close to 125mph on trains with worn wheelsets.

Ken H

On Moderation
Just to add my comment on this, I had my first experience longhauling an IET on diesel mode just before New Year heading down from Paddington to St Erth. I find it quite surprising to see the posts above because the difference in acceleration between diesel mode and electric was a lot more substantial than I expected. While I know of a couple of gradients that are steep on that route, there must have been at least a dozen separate occasions where even at full power the unit was decelerating, at relatively low speeds too, probably below 40mph at a few points (identifiable by the controller for the traction motors changing modes and the unit continuing to slow down for considerable time thereafter.) Although the service was delayed anyway due to a change in calling pattern, almost every single stop lost time once on diesel mode. I suppose it's possible there was an engine out somewhere in the formation but as a 9-car unit I wouldn't have expected this to have been as drastic as it would be with a 5. Certainly, the 150 I travelled the route on last time round felt considerably faster. I know you'd get much more of a sense of speed on a rattly old thing like that, but hearing the GU running flat out for about three minutes solid and looking out the window to see the scenery crawling past was eye-opening to say the least. I'm sure HSTs performed way better than this.
Does IEP bi-modes have enough installed power for their weight and for hotel power. Does the diesel kit have the correct characteristic to deliver power across the speed range?
I remember Roger Ford having concerns there was not enough installed power. Was he right ?

CBlue

I find it extraordinary, all this discussion about multiple engines out in a train, as if this is an everyday event to be expected. Recalling the twin-engined hydraulics of 50-60 years ago, despite all that modern-day commentators say about them, I cannot recall a single instance of a Warship or Western running with one engine out, or losing one while under way. Has there been any analysis of common factors that are causing this? Is it some basic issue, like them running out of fuel? That I DID experience with a Warship.

I seem to recall comments when the IET first came along that the contract with Hitachi centres around how many trains are offered for service each day, with penalties if the full required complement is not provided. Is there some factor here that trains can be offered for a service day with one engine out - or insufficient fuel - but the contract has been met.

There is also an expectation above that a proportion of diagrams on the electric lines are being run on diesel; certainly the last time I arrived at Paddington on an IET I was surprised that, once again, the diesels were running. This also seems surprising. Whatever is the reason for this having become common?

Diesel hydraulic locos, if I recall rightly, that also included several classes with poorly toleranced diesel engines built under licence from Germany. These suffered badly in terms of reliability as a result and it was hardly a surprise BR binned them off as traffic declined.

Aren't you comparing apples and oranges here?

Your sole observations and recollections of some locos Vs a forum's worth of observations and comments regarding the 80x is hardly a reasonable comparison in terms of reliability.

Railperf

Established Member
Oh yes, a 9-car would usually need all 5 engines to accelerate up the Devon Banks. Any less and they do indeed slow down on the way to the top. Not unusual to experience a 9-car on 3 of 5 engines feeling like it's going backwards.

Clarence Yard

Established Member

There are many technical reasons why there are engines out on the GWR fleet - most of the 9 cars of both fleets currently have at least one out. Less so on the 5 cars but the total number of units so affected are now over 30.

What hasn’t helped recently is COVID. The supply chain for repaired engines together with the staffing position at the Hitachi depots has been under severe stress so the number of units affected has rocketed. Getting other faults repaired has also been an issue and, yes, Hitachi do pay for this.

Running out of fuel isn’t an issue.

Diesel only running is a periodic problem, sometimes infrastructure related but usually one or two units are running around on diesel due to a technical fault, maybe occurring in an earlier part of the diagram on that particular day.

Railperf

Established Member
There are many technical reasons why there are engines out on the GWR fleet - most of the 9 cars of both fleets currently have at least one out. Less so on the 5 cars but the total number of units so affected are now over 30.

What hasn’t helped recently is COVID. The supply chain for repaired engines together with the staffing position at the Hitachi depots has been under severe stress so the number of units affected has rocketed. Getting other faults repaired has also been an issue and, yes, Hitachi do pay for this.

Running out of fuel isn’t an issue.

Diesel only running is a periodic problem, sometimes infrastructure related but usually one or two units are running around on diesel due to a technical fault, maybe occurring in an earlier part of the diagram on that particular day.
Thanks Clarence. Your inputs as always appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.