• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If the Dornoch Rail Link went ahead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
...what would happen to the Lairg loop?

The way I see it, Dornoch would be served by the through-running trains, whereas the Invernet services would terminate at Lairg. FOFNL have been lobbying for an hourly service to Tain (which would need more passing loops). If this went ahead and more loops were built, then there could be two-hourly services to Wick and the hourly Tain services could alternate between Wick (via Dornoch) and Lairg, giving Lairg and Dornoch a two-hourly service apiece.

This still leaves the link from Lairg to Golspie, which serves Rogart. Maybe some of the Lairg services could terminate at Golspie or Brora? We'd almost certainly need a new loop and platform at Golspie, though.

Now, this could happen. It's likely that Evanton will reopen too at some point, and the DORLAG has been mentioned lately.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Seem to recall adding a rail line was a serious proposition before they built the eventually road-only Dornoch bridge route.
Now that you can't share construction costs with the road, extremely unlikely I'd have thought.

Taunton

Established Member
Seem to recall adding a rail line was a serious proposition before they built the eventually road-only Dornoch bridge route.
Now that you can't share construction costs with the road, extremely unlikely I'd have thought.
This was an approach which was put up through the Dept for Transport when the Second Severn Bridge was being designed around 1990, because it closely parallels the Severn Tunnel and would have allowed the tunnel with all its difficulties and expense of operation to be abandoned.

Got absolutely nowhere. Despite being two parts of the same government ministry the roads side wouldn't consider for one moment their project giving any benefit to the rail side.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I thought the building of the line would herald the closure of the route then avoided. Certainly that's what I remember reading at the time, though I'm not sure if that came from any official capacity.

backontrack

Established Member
I thought the building of the line would herald the closure of the route then avoided. Certainly that's what I remember reading at the time, though I'm not sure if that came from any official capacity.

I just thought that the residents of Lairg, Ardgay and Bonar Bridge (sizeable places for that area of Scotland) would be angry about losing their railway connection...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It's likely that Evanton will reopen too at some point, and the DORLAG has been mentioned lately.

Thoughts?

Evanton, with its population circa 1100, saw its railway station closed some 54 years ago in June 1960.

Alness, with its population of circa 5300, is the nearest station, which was re-opened in May 1973, appears to be the nearest open station to Evanton.

We are talking of settlements with quite small populations here.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Besides, Conon Bridge reopened only last year.

When the discussion stages concerning the re-opening of Conon Bridge were in progress, the Highlands and Islands Transport Partnership said that they would contribute the sum of £100,000 towards the cost of a new platform that would take a 4-carriage train.

Does anyone know the reason what actually was built in that respect was 15-metre long platform ? Were the promised monies not forthcoming ?

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
I seem to remember that at the time of the dual-purpose bridge proposal, its advocates drew maps on which Lairg remaining connected to the south but lost its link to the north via Rogart. Howver there were very natural fears that the southward link wouldn't last long.

backontrack

Established Member
Evanton, with its population circa 1100, saw its railway station closed some 54 years ago in June 1960.

Alness, with its population of circa 5300, is the nearest station, which was re-opened in May 1973, appears to be the nearest open station to Evanton.

We are talking of settlements with quite small populations here.

There's still been talk of it, though.

Mark62

If memory serves me correctly this idea was being floated in the late 1970s

deltic08

On Moderation
When the discussion stages concerning the re-opening of Conon Bridge were in progress, the Highlands and Islands Transport Partnership said that they would contribute the sum of £100,000 towards the cost of a new platform that would take a 4-carriage train.

Does anyone know the reason what actually was built in that respect was 15-metre long platform ? Were the promised monies not forthcoming ?[/QUOTE]

Cost escalation. A four coach platform rose from £700k to £1.2M since 2004. Consultants were paid £125k to decide on the best site for a new station. Unsurprisingly, they chose the original site as Network Rail still owned the land and the access road was still available. Short platform still cost £600k.

snowball

Established Member
If memory serves me correctly this idea was being floated in the late 1970s
I'm fairly sure it was the 1980s when I heard of it as that was when the Dornoch Firth road crossing was being planned and attempts were made to get a rail track included.

Maxfly

Actual serious talk, recently, from people who might actually fund such a thing (ie Highland Council, Transport Scotland)?

Given as the thread seems more hypothetical does there 'have' to be?

I do personally think it has little or no chance and effort should be put more on more passing/dynamic loops, especially at Clunes as that southern end is a complete pita to regulate over with just a TEP at clunes. Either one or two trains departing get pumped mildly or the incoming gets royally shafted and ends up epically late. This iirc is part of the issue 'Friends of The Far North Line' have, the dilution on effort where in their (and my) opinion it is better spent elsewhere but good luck to the group, if only money was endless:)

backontrack

Established Member
Given as the thread seems more hypothetical does there 'have' to be?

I do personally think it has little or no chance and effort should be put more on more passing/dynamic loops, especially at Clunes as that southern end is a complete pita to regulate over with just a TEP at clunes. Either one or two trains departing get pumped mildly or the incoming gets royally shafted and ends up epically late. This iirc is part of the issue 'Friends of The Far North Line' have, the dilution on effort where in their (and my) opinion it is better spent elsewhere but good luck to the group, if only money was endless:)

Yes, personally I think loops are more important. Clunes as you say should get one, and I think one up north (between Helmsdale and Forsinard) might be a goer as well.

ER158715

Where are the units going to come from? Or the crews? As Maxfly has said, the bottleneck from Inverness to Manure Of Ord is a nightmare. A decent sized dynamic loop which was signalled conventionally from Inverness SC would be ideal. Start the RETB at MoO and that would be of far more use.

But, don't hold your breath....

Status
Not open for further replies.