If you could make an announcement or play anything at any station over the tannoy what would it be?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 175mph, 18 Jun 2019.

1. 175mph

175mph Member

Sometimes, when I have been at a large station such as Doncaster, and heard the announcements about the trains coming or have been delayed/canceled etc, I've wished I could make my own announcement or play some music for fun.

I understand that for obvious reasons, this would never, ever be allowed, but if you could, what would you say or what music would you play over the announcement system?

Here is what I would play (Cope Land - "Celestial Plains" (PS1 Spyro Style Remake for anyone who cannot access YouTube due to network restrictions):

Last edited: 5 Jul 2019
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

"Birmingham New St" by M J Hibbett and the Validators at, er, Birmingham New St. (If you haven't heard it, you need to, even if the song describes the old station and not the current one!)

"London Underground" by Adam Kay and Suman Biswas at any Tube station. (I don't agree with the sentiments in it, but it is just my childish side there! :) )

4. cin88

cin88 Member

Stockport alledgedly tested their PA one night by playing "Baby Shark". According to a BTP officer I was talking to when I was on nights earlier in the year.

5. _toommm_

_toommm_ Established Member

Crewe tend to play snippets of music after about 9pm. Certainly makes waiting for a delayed Caledonian Sleeper more entertaining :D

6. dgl

dgl Member

Over the "Tannoy" (yes it should be spelt with a capitol T being a brand name), I think Trans Europe Express, or Locomotion from OMD. Or announce every train as leaving from the wrong platform and watch the panic that ensues.

7. LewFinnis

LewFinnis Member

Going back a few decades, 'Oh Mr Porter, what can I do?' etc.

8. AlastairFraser

AlastairFraser Member

No! Then we'd have even more strikes and they'd affect the Tube :D

9. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

Benny Hill show theme tune at somewhere like London Bridge. Just to see if makes people walk around faster.

Or something for everyone to sing along to whilst waiting to lift the sprits. Like 'Don't Look Back in Anger' by Oasis.

10. martinsh

martinsh Established Member

"Waterloo Sunset" by the Kinks ...

11. 175mph

175mph Member

I forgot to add as well, if a train was delayed or canceled, I'd play this:

12. 185143

185143 Established Member

That happened at Manchester Piccadilly!
    22nd May this year, after a minute silence in memorial of the 22 victims of the Arena terror attack 2 years ago.

13. 175mph

175mph Member

Where have those two years gone? :'(

14. fusionblue

fusionblue Member

My local Asda has bird tweeting sounds from its tannoy, though i'm not sure why. Lets annoy everybody and put it at every station, at full volume.

15. Bantamzen

Bantamzen Established Member

At some bus stations classical music is played to try and help create a more calming ambience, and reduce anti-social behaviour. Could this work at railway stations?

16. Bletchleyite

Two places I know of do this that have rails, and it does seem to work - Euston Square LU and Hamburg Hauptbahnhof-Nord U-Bahn.

17. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

Don't look back in, er, anger, though...

18. Harpers Tate

Harpers Tate Established Member

"The next train to arrive at Platform 3B is the 1042 TransPennine Express service to Manchester Airport. This train is formed of insufficient coaches."

19. Bletchleyite

Until Manchester Piccadilly, after which please spread out and enjoy your private carriage.

20. Harpers Tate

Harpers Tate Established Member

True - but TPE was intended just as an example. One could probably validly announce most XC services in this manner most of the time, never mind Northern (at the "wrong" times of day and/or if anything special is afoot).

21. cin88

cin88 Member

I didn't do it on that occassion but I had the honour of announcing a minute's silence for the Arena attack twice in my 18 months at Piccadilly followed by playing "Don't Look Back in Anger". By far the hardest announcements I ever had to make, and I used to announce the Tenby manually* in full to show off to visitors!

I also announced the naming of 390001 "Bee Together" which included the first 30 seconds of "Don't Look Back in Anger".

*Manually announcing the Tenby was/is considered the hardest train announcement at Piccadilly, especially for new starters.

22. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

Mind you don't get too proud*, or they'll divert it via the Heart of Wales line and give your jaw a real workout!

*I'm sure you never would :)

23. cin88

cin88 Member

Luckily it's none of my concern anymore as i've moved on :D Wem was the one that got me as a new starter, it's always the easy names that trip you up. Huddersfield was "Huddersfeed" a few times too :D

24. Bletchleyite

But can you, like the guy who did it in the 1990s, do all stations from Wigan to Southport in one breath?

"Gathurstappleybridgeparboldhoscarburscoughbridgenewlanebescarlanemeolscopansouthport" seemed like one station...

25. cin88

cin88 Member

No, but for a month or so after I'd passed out I would frequently get told off for announcing calling patterns way too fast.

26. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

Salford Crescent had a belter:
    "Platformonethevictoriatraaaaiiiinsalfordcentralmanchestervictoria"

27. eastwestdivide

eastwestdivide Established Member

Muphry's Law in action there: all corrections will contain at least one further error (or google it for a longer definition).

As for what I'd play over the loudspeakers, at times of disruption: "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" from Monty Python.
    Otherwise, some muzak or the sound of a hoover [smiley face with sly grin and raised eyebrow]

28. Bletchleyite

Am I the only one who read that in their head with a Liam Gallagher accent? :)

29. 185143

185143 Established Member

Could be worse. We could have direct trains to LlanfairPG...:D

30. mm333

mm333 Member

I like selecting eclectic favourites and requesting them on the free jukebox by the main St Pancras entrance to St Pancras. 'Doop', the theme from 'Howard's Way', 'MacArthur Park' by Richard Harris and 'Last Train to London' by ELO have been recent tunes I've subjected passing passengers to.

31. Tracked

Tracked Member

I'd like to play 4'33 by John Cage over the Tannoy at Chesterfield, or more accurately, I'd like East Midland Trains to do so once in a while <(