• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you took over East Midlands Trains, what would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffield

Established Member
The Robin Hood Line faces the wrong way in respect of the South Yorkshire Joint Railway and would require a reversal at Workssop would it not?

I think it would be better if the Nottingham to Worksop services were extended to Retford to connect with the ECML services.

I don't think a reversal at Worksop for a 2 car DMU to access this line is a big deal or the main issue. But I've had a cursory look at this line and while I'm generally quite favourable towards reopenings, this looks like a rather meandering (and maybe slow and lower quality?) line which just skims the edge of a couple of smallish places, so I'm not convinced. It's easy to say 'there is an existing operational freight line so it should be cheap and simple' but it might need considerable upgrades for passenger use. Extending Robin Hood line services to Dinnington and Maltby in theory shouldn't be be too difficult but are there paths into Doncaster? And if not, do people want to travel from Maltby and Dinnington to Worksop (and then maybe change for a long way round journey to Sheffield) or would they mainly want to go to Doncaster? A lot of questions to answer. (And I'm speaking from the point of view of someone who has often thought "There's a freight line there, why no passenger services".)

Summary: I'd not dismiss this but the existing freight line isn't enough to justify it. Where do people from Maltby and Dinnington area want to go, and how many of them would use the train? Would this be a useful service for Worksop to Doncaster?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PTR 444

Established Member
I would extend the fast St Pancras - Sheffield service to Leeds via Barnsley and Wakefield Kirkgate, and extend one of the St Pancras - Nottingham services to Leeds calling at all Stations to Sheffield then limited stop to Leeds via the Moorthorpe chord. I would also transfer the Leeds - Lincoln and Leeds - Nottingham via Barnsley services to EMR.

Combined with the existing XC service, this would give Leicester, Derby and Nottingham 2tph to Leeds. 1 via Barnsley and 1 via Moorthorpe.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
I would extend the fast St Pancras - Sheffield service to Leeds via Barnsley and Wakefield Kirkgate, and extend one of the St Pancras - Nottingham services to Leeds calling at all Stations to Sheffield then limited stop to Leeds via the Moorthorpe chord. I would also transfer the Leeds - Lincoln and Leeds - Nottingham via Barnsley services to EMR.

Combined with the existing XC service, this would give Leicester, Derby and Nottingham 2tph to Leeds. 1 via Barnsley and 1 via Moorthorpe.

Extensions north of Sheffield are a no go...

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Genuine question: Why?

Certainly via Barnsley you have a lack of pathways off the top of my head (especially as Northern have intensified their usage of that section); and extra trains into Leeds anyway would not work. Especially not full Intercity-length stuff. It also imports significant punctuality risk so you're much better off not bothering with any excess of through connectivity short of Nottingham <> Leeds.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Genuine question: Why?
Because regular Leeds services are not in the franchise spec.

This thread “ran its course” in early 2018, before the franchise was awarded, (as far as post #233). It probably wasn’t a wise move for someone to restart it a few days ago...

D365

Veteran Member
Would it be possible to have a DMU shuttle service between Leicester and Corby or would platforms be an issue at Leicester?

What market would that be serving? I can’t imagine there being much demand to travel from/to Corby in a northwesterly direction.

VT 390

Established Member
What market would that be serving? I can’t imagine there being much demand to travel from/to Corby in a northwesterly direction.
It would provide a more frequent service from Oakham/Melton towards Leicester, providing an alternative to the often overcrowded Cross Country service.

D365

Veteran Member
It would provide a more frequent service from Oakham/Melton towards Leicester, providing an alternative to the often overcrowded Cross Country service.

I’d rather see the Leicester terminators extended to Peterborough in that case.

I’d rather see the Leicester terminators extended to Peterborough in that case.

Extending Leicester terminators to Corby instead of Peterborough would give Corby a through link to Birmingham. Also provide improved links between the local towns.

D365

Veteran Member
Extending Leicester terminators to Corby instead of Peterborough would give Corby a through link to Birmingham. Also provide improved links between the local towns.

In any case I imagine that extension of said services would rely on the Leicester remodelling being completed, and CrossCountry acquiring more units.

Status
Not open for further replies.