• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm being told that LNER still has peak fares on a strike day. Is this correct ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
What a bunch of thieving con artists they all are.

This railway system is a laughing stock.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, I've found a solution (with the help of some booking office staff).

It's still sharp practice to withdraw the off-peak trains then still expect to charge people to peak fares.

Tazi Hupefi

Well, I've found a solution (with the help of some booking office staff).

It's still sharp practice to withdraw the off-peak trains then still expect to charge people to peak fares.
Seems sensible to me personally.

LNER clearly do not want passengers to travel on these days, or certainly they would likely want to make it unattractive enough to put off a large number of passengers travelling at potentially quite busy times in the peak.

Pricing people away to reduce demand is an extremely common and long standing practice in certain areas of the rail network where capacity is likely to be problematic. It's not exactly like they're profiteering, given they're likely making a huge (commercial) loss on a strike day anyway.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

LNER clearly do not want passengers to travel on these days, or certainly they would likely want to make it unattractive enough to put off a large number of passengers travelling at potentially quite busy times in the peak.

Pricing people away to reduce demand is an extremely common and long standing practice in certain areas of the rail network where capacity is likely to be problematic. It's not exactly like they're profiteering, given they're likely making a huge (commercial) loss on a strike day anyway.

As per usual, it's the railway operating for its own convenience, no doubt in collusion with the anti-passenger railway.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Demand based pricing where a product has finite capacity? I would say that is pretty standard...

Or screwing passengers over when the railway isn't providing the service.

There needs to be a general relaxation of ticket acceptance when services are massively reduced. HS1 was the only service running between Kent and London, yet there wasn't any waiver of the surcharge (not officially anyway).

fandroid

Established Member
I travelled on the penultimate train out of Waterloo to Basingstoke yesterday. It was 12 coaches and still packed. I imagine that the last train to Southampton would have been crammed. Operators wouldn't have wanted to encourage sardine conditions by handing out discounts, especially on long distance services.

redreni

You'd think, wouldn't you? But that's not how it works. Hence the non-resolution of the industrial dispute.

westv

Established Member
Would the railways stick to peak time restrictions during any other prolonged period of disruption?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.