• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

I'm thinking of a station...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
I took this as meaning 4th rail - as per East Putney - which is not the case for Liverpool James Street !:mad:

I took it as meaning third rail. It didn't occur to me that East Putney has a fourth :oops: Don't worry though; nothing stupid coming up.

Well I was thinking outside the box in a different way! :shock:

I know ;) It just seemed to fit!

------------------------

One of the larger non-central stations in the former Metropolitan County in which it resides, this station sees three different families of train on a regular basis, and specifically a set of three that is not found as a complete set anywhere else in the country (apart from a small number of other local stations, at least one of which is not in the Metropolitan County area). Direct trains exist to both the major centre in the Metropolitan County area, and also the major centre in another Metropolitan County; one of these routes is served by one of the three above-mentioned families, while the other two jointly operate the route (which is less frequent). However, if Dr Beeching had had his way, this station would no longer exist; as it turned out, a very short stretch of both routes from this station was removed, but otherwise the station and its two lines are still intact.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
I couldn't possibly comment on why you would doubt BPN... except that it isn't in a former Metropolitan County.

You specifically may struggle with this, because er... they abolished before you were even born. I would hope that this wouldn't hinder you too much though ;) (Unless the Wiki blackout dictates otherwise.)

Ivo

Established Member
Not Bradford Interchange.

Peterbrough?

Peterborough isn't in a former Metropolitan County.

Seen as we seem to be struggling with this clue, an area must be in a Modern Metropolitan Borough (e.g. Solihull) to have been in a Metropolitan County. Metropolitan Counties date back to the 1970s when all local independence was effectively done away with.

N.B.: Solihull is not the answer.

Ivo

Established Member
We seem to have the right idea now.

This station itself however has not been subjected to a closure; only the lines into it - and then only a very small portion of them - have been. Wolverhampton Low Level (I suppose a separate station but there you go) closed, while Snow Hill closed completely and then reopened. (If I've got my facts right :?)

However, we have the wrong Metropolitan County.

Ivo

Established Member
Southport is correct. The Burscough curves and Liverpool Exchange were closed, but that is all in spite of the threatened closure of both routes - and even then Exchange was only replaced (by Moorfields and the tunnel under the city centre).

It is served by 14x and 15x to Manchester and 507/8 to Liverpool. The combintion of Pacer, Sprinter and 1972-design EMU does not exist outside of Merseyrail territory (although it does exist outside of Merseyside, at Ormskirk).

martinsh

Established Member
This station has the same name as a former Manchester United footballer !

Three platforms, served by one TOC

--------------------------------------

PS You've got 10 mins to guess this before I go offline

martinsh

Established Member
This station was originally opened in the 1840s, when it was named after the nearby tunnel. Nowadays it is named after the town it is in. It had the suffix "Central" until the other station in the town closed in the 1960s.

Foru platforms, served by 3 TOCs each with 1tph ew - 2 other TOCs pass through non stop

Status
Not open for further replies.