Important stations with no toilets

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by Old Yard Dog, 8 Sep 2019.

1. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

Which important NR stations don't have any toilets?

High on my list would be Smethwick Galton Bridge which is an important interchange station with frequent services in all four directions.

Travelling home from the little used Bordesley station yesterday after the Coventry - Blackpool game, I stopped off at Jewellery Quarter to visit a couple of home brew pubs with very limited FSO opening hours. But afterwards the toilet on the 1856 Jewellery Quarter - Smethwick Galton Bridge was out of order, there were no toilets at SGB, and both toilets on the 1910 SGB to Crewe were out of order. So I had to dive out in agony at Wolverhampton. For the first time in 60 years, I had to get off a train short of my destination to find a bog!

Which other key stations lack this very basic facility?

And how can LNWR get away with sending a train on a 4-hour journey from Euston to Liverpool without a working toilet?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. thejuggler

thejuggler Member

Bradford Forster Square which in 2019 is a scandal. Even Bradford Interchange toilets are in the bus station.

4. yorksrob

yorksrob Veteran Member

A lot of staffed suburban stations on the South Western suburban network don't have a toilet - particularly bad as neither do the 455's that serve them.

5. syorksdeano

syorksdeano Member

But Forster Square does have a disabled toilet, that's if you are allowed to still access it.

I think the reason why no toilets were provided is that the council at the time had one of those superloos right outside the station on the retail park bit

6. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Veteran Member

Weymouth. Kept closed due history of vandalism

7. SteveM70

SteveM70 Member

Slightly away from the OP’s point, but the toilets at Preston are closed at the moment, and Virgin have provided three portaloos just outside the station entrance instead. Three individual toilets. For a busy interchange station. And this evening two of them were unusable and constituted a health risk. I mentioned this to the on duty supervisor and literally got a shrug and a “sorry nothing to do with me”

8. 61653 HTAFC

61653 HTAFC Established Member

BDI toilets are in the undercroft, as far removed from the bus station as they are from the railway station. St Pancras International's toilets are a longer walk from the platforms than Bradford Interchange's are.

9. Parallel

Parallel Established Member

That’s impressive, aren’t the Weymouth ones inside the station building opposite the ticket office?

10. Poolie

Poolie Member

Sunderland !

11. Taunton

Taunton Established Member

I was quite surprised, going through Weymouth several times this summer, to find this state of affairs. It's not as if it's some inner-city dive! Yes the doors do face the ticket office but that is closed for pretty much half the operating hours; it's an unstaffed halt after 6pm, just as everyone starts to go home from the beach, and you have to enter round the side. BT Police were regularly there as well, also unexpected; they are about the only police you will see around on a visit to the town.

12. jkkne

jkkne Member

‘Important’...

There’s always the Burger King inside the station or Greggs...

13. scrapy

scrapy Established Member

Salford Crescent is similar to the OPs example Smethwick Galton Bridge in that it is a busy interchange with regular services in 4 directions (albeit from 2 platforms) but no toilets.

14. Goldfish62

Goldfish62 Established Member

Indeed. Bracknell has no toilets.

15. Western Lord

Western Lord Member

I sincerely hope that you mean Bracknell Station has no toilets!

16. PeterC

PeterC Established Member

Two that are, as far as I recall, TfL operated but with significant NR services are Farringdon and Stratford. Stratford at least has Westfield near(ish) the NR platforms but if you are using PAYG it means paying two fares.

17. [.n]

[.n] Member

It's not unstaffed (as a station), the ticket office is, but there are still staff available until the station closes

At a recent meeting I attended, an SWR manager was tackled about this state of affairs (the toilets), and apparently the best suggestion is to simply use the ones on the train. Given the state of the average SWR/GWR onboard toilet, and the fact they are often out of order as well, people in the meeting weren't convinced.

Of course, what amazes/saddens me is how people manage to get public toilets into such a horrendous state in the first place - a complete lack of disrespect

18. [.n]

[.n] Member

I would say Clapham Junction, one set of toilets, on the footbridge at the platform 17(?) end. If memory serves me correctly the gents only has one toilet and 3 urinals. Completely inadequate for a station that is this busy, and very very hidden away. I only found them one day, when I had nearly an hour wait for my train, and was thinking it would be simpler to take a train to Victoria/Waterloo, use the facilities there, and there catch a train back!

19. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

There in a disabled loo in the new ticket office, by the entrance/exit.

20. TheEdge

TheEdge Established Member

Stratford does have some, they are behind the lift and escalators on the Great Eastern Road side. However they are absolutely tiny, well hidden and hugely inadequate for the size of the station

21. High Dyke

High Dyke Established Member

Yes, slightly off the OP, but I found that out the other week...The sign on the door directed you to the nearby shopping centre. It seems odd that those toilets are the only facilities on a station the size of Preston.

22. Edders23

Edders23 Member

I suppose it is inevitable local authorities are shutting toilets up and down the country especially in lincolnshire to save money! No doubt it's the same since the provision of toilets is a courtesy and not a requirement in law

23. Goldfish62

Two traps and two urinals. But yes, completely inadequate and large queues often form.

24. Goldfish62

Hahaha! Correct. :)

25. PeterC

PeterC Established Member

Reopened? I knew that they were built but had been closed. I haven't used Stratford for a while but last year was forced to trek the width of the station and through Westfield as there were no toilets available within the station.

26. superjohn

superjohn Member

The toilets at Stratford are frequently closed due to vandalism and/or flooding. When open they can be pretty grim at times, better to use Westfield or the old shopping centre if at all possible.

27. mattyb1405

mattyb1405 Member

We visited Llandudno on the train last Friday. I hadn't checked, so my own fault, but was surprised how early that station had closed for the evening and with it the toilets as well. Probably was naive expecting it to be open. Appreciate the thread title also and that this station had toilets but it did seem busy enough that I was expecting them to be open?

28. Muenchener

Muenchener Member

Slightly disingenuous in that most people probably don't realise that the toilets in the Fishergate shopping centre themselves get locked shortly after 18:00 when the centre is secured.

29. NewClee153

NewClee153 Member

Smethwick Galton Bridge does have a toilet, I should know as it's my local and I use the station everyday. It’s a disabled toilet, next to the ticket office, though it is locked, and you have to ask the station attendant for the key

30. route101

route101 Established Member

Were open last Wednesday

31. Rhydgaled

Rhydgaled Established Member

Whitland. Ok, probably not 'important' to many but as it's a junction there's potential for interchange. No waiting room either, just a canopy on one side and an open 'shelter' on the other, neither of which provide any shelter from the howling gales that blow through (ok, maybe not quite 'howling gales' but it does seem to be a rather windy spot). With a wait of potentially half an hour (longer and you might be able to travel to Carmarthen and back to change there instead, although your ticket probably wouldn't be valid for that) the current 'almost nothing' is not really good enough.