• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

In praise of heritage railways...but which are the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnm

Established Member
Just can't resist this (not detracting from your point, bnm, just the juxtaposition of Dean Forest Railway, and Beeching). I travelled some years ago on the DFR, Lydney Junction to upper terminus and back, by DMU -- en route, overheard an elderly fellow-passenger attributing the closure to passengers of the line north of Lydney Town, to Dr. Beeching and his axe. An interesting illustration of the way in which Dr. Beeching -- who somehow sounds just so very right for his role -- has entered the public consciousness / vocabulary, as a slaughterer of lesser railways. The Severn & Wye rail system -- joint GWR and Midland -- north of Lydney Town, was closed to passengers in 1929, when Richard Beeching -- the future Doctor -- was all of sixteen years old.

Odd that I, who half-a-century-plus ago was passionately wishing that Dr. B. might be hanged, drawn and quartered -- now find myself sometimes wanting to defend the poor old deceased sod, from accusations of stuff of which he totally wasn't guilty !

I said that the DFR was imitating the run down nature of a Beeching era branch line. I made no comment to say the good Doctor was responsible for the closure of the line.

I don't think it's intentional that the DFR are saying "this is what rural branch lines were really like in the early 1960s", it's just the impression they're giving.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
I said that the DFR was imitating the run down nature of a Beeching era branch line. I made no comment to say the good Doctor was responsible for the closure of the line.

I know you didn't -- it was the connecting-the-dots-wrongly old chap, whom I happened to overhear -- hence my "off-topic" aside -- his words just rather tickled me: from a position of snobbish superior knowledge, I sometimes get the impression that the "clueless hordes" ascribe all passenger rail closures in Britain between about 1855 and 2015, to "Dr. Beeching".
I don't think it's intentional that the DFR are saying "this is what rural branch lines were really like in the early 1960s", it's just the impression they're giving.

Point taken, and agreed with.

E759

I'm not the world's greatest fan of the railway preservation movement: feel that even at its best (a good self-contained preserved steam railway) it can give only a faint hint of what the glorious "mostly-there-and-mostly-steam" scene of 60+ years ago, was like (though, better material preserved "however", than scrapped). Might I thus, a bit perversely, put in a word for a personal favourite, the Nene Valley Railway? (In my childhood-and-youth "patch", which for me, contributes.) "Authenticity" being for me basically a phantom; I appreciate the NVR's having adapted itself to a loading gauge which allows it to run locos and stock from the European continent as well as Great Britain -- promoting interesting variety.

I'd like the NVR better still, if only it had found itself able to preserve the entire route -- track down, until relatively late -- between Peterborough and Oundle: that giving it in my view a decent length; and running satisfyingly "from somewhere to somewhere". There are, however, different -- and sense-making -- "takes" on this issue: discussed in some detail on the thread in this sub-forum, "Which preserved railway extension would you most like to see?" (first post 5 / 2 / 2018).
I've been planning a trip to the NVR since the opening of Canal Tunnel. I see Tuesdays is Swedish railcar day; I'm interested in railcars so could be a good day to visit. But I can't help noticing the ride is very short as you allude to. What is there to "do" apart from ride the railcar? Some railways, ELR Top of the League, have great waiting "zones" at each end of the line where the time can be passed most pleasantly.

Thank you.

Calthrop

Established Member
I learn, chiefly from the NVR website: at the Peterborough end -- close by Peterborough NVR station -- there is the "Railworld Wildlife Haven": one gathers, a mix of real-size rail exhibits, model railways, and a wildlife reserve. Well -- plenty of people, myself included, delight in both railways and wildlife... the NVR-created Yarwell terminus station offers per the website (one feels, slightly desperate barrel-scraping): walks, about 25 minutes to each, to the picturesque villages of Yarwell, or Nassington. Wansford station, line's nerve-centre: website cites for it, only NVR-related attractions. Wansford village (which I remember from long ago, as a pleasant place) is about a mile-and-three-quarters north-west of Wansford station. The station is close by the river Nene; one could, it's to suppose, relax on the river bank and admire the ducks and swans -- feeling rather got that the NVR, splendid though it is in its way, is basically "in its own right".

A to my mind lovely thing involving Wansford (which I've posted about elsewhere on this site): the GNR's branch line from Stamford to Wansford (running into Wansford LNWR / LMS / BR station; abandoned 1929) intersected the Peterborough -- Leicester main road about a mile east of Wansford village; at which point GNR opened a station called Wansford Road. Wansford Road station was in fact closer to the village of Wansford, than is the of much earlier pedigree Wansford station. One has to feel, "only in pre-Grouping Britain..."

Aictos

Established Member
My personal favourite is the Spa Valley Railway, been on it many times and quite enjoy it :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My personal favourite is the Spa Valley Railway, been on it many times and quite enjoy it :)
I’m really hoping to go on the Spa Valley soon, and to go on the Bluebell the day after as I haven’t been on the East Grinstead extension yet.
As said by E759 the Isle of Wight steam railway is wonderful, but the Bluebell is a fantastic line and the atmosphere there is something else.
There’s lots of lines up North that I’m looking forward to travelling on, the K&WVR and NYMR being very much at the top of the list.

Aren’t we lucky with what we’ve got though?

E759

I learn, chiefly from the NVR website: at the Peterborough end -- close by Peterborough NVR station -- there is the "Railworld Wildlife Haven": one gathers, a mix of real-size rail exhibits, model railways, and a wildlife reserve. Well -- plenty of people, myself included, delight in both railways and wildlife... the NVR-created Yarwell terminus station offers per the website (one feels, slightly desperate barrel-scraping): walks, about 25 minutes to each, to the picturesque villages of Yarwell, or Nassington. Wansford station, line's nerve-centre: website cites for it, only NVR-related attractions. Wansford village (which I remember from long ago, as a pleasant place) is about a mile-and-three-quarters north-west of Wansford station. The station is close by the river Nene; one could, it's to suppose, relax on the river bank and admire the ducks and swans -- feeling rather got that the NVR, splendid though it is in its way, is basically "in its own right".

A to my mind lovely thing involving Wansford (which I've posted about elsewhere on this site): the GNR's branch line from Stamford to Wansford (running into Wansford LNWR / LMS / BR station; abandoned 1929) intersected the Peterborough -- Leicester main road about a mile east of Wansford village; at which point GNR opened a station called Wansford Road. Wansford Road station was in fact closer to the village of Wansford, than is the of much earlier pedigree Wansford station. One has to feel, "only in pre-Grouping Britain..."
Thank you Calthrop, your post brings a smile to my face. I will look at the ducks and swans, relish the diversity of Railway habit and ponder the unanswerable question, what are Heritage Railways for today.

alexl92

Established Member
I haven’t visited many, but I do love Keighley for the branch line feel (even when there’s a proper mainline loco on the front) and the stations along the NYMR and the Bluebell are just wonderful.

I have mixed feelings about compartments - I like them, but I don’t like not being able to see clearly out of both sides of the carriage as you can in an open coach.

Peter West

It,s been fun reading the opinions on this subject and just thought I,d throw in another two dimensions to the discussion.

For me the length of the journey (and therefore the length of the track)does matter as the joy of the ride is linked to some kind of day out. And, as has been said,ideally we would go from somewhere to somewhere with a sense of purpose. The GWSR return ride was on a World War 2 weekend so there was something to see at the end of the ride. Going to the seaside and back e.g. Minehead from inland on the West Somerset would also fulfil that criteria and I,ll definitely do that one although I need a bit more than a seaside resort to get my partner along...I see there,s a museum in Dunster so that might do the trick. I,ll have to forego the compartments and the Pullman for this one sadly.

If however we put aside the Heritage tracks and think of the just the train and the ideal make up of compartments I guess this opens up a whole new other world of possibilities.I,m thinking here of these special trains (and special prices)like the Cotswold Explorer. They would provide the glamour I guess but they may also be a bit overly glitzy for us rail aficionados and actually lack the authenticity we talked about...do we need a bit of grime I wonder?

One other dimension would also be stations. This is a big one for me as I seek out old railway stations on all foreign travel much to the annoyance of anyone who travels with me. Simon Jenkins just published his 100 “best” UK stations. It,s subjective again of course but he,s a man with taste and I see he,s included Carnforth and the Brief Encounter museum they,ve created there. There,s also a special train I see that starts and ends there...anyone ever tried it?

http://www.carnforthstation.co.uk/events.html

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...-railway-stations-in-britain-uk-simon-jenkins

Journeyman

Established Member
The Mid-Hants is a particular favourite of mine. Decent length for a start, interesting stations in nice locations, and - best of all - the fierce gradient heading out of Alton. The railway has a preference for large locos to cope with the climb, and as a result you get to hear them working hard despite the low speeds, and it's pretty impressive. A rebuilt Bulleid Pacific hauling a string of green Mark 1s is very much like a diverted Bournemouth line train from the sixties, and I really like that.

Really keen to ride their Thumper up the grade sometime, haven't had a chance to do that yet.

Dougal2345

We just need one with the third rail now :lol:
I see the Island Line as being virtually a heritage railway too... so get across to Wight, where you can enjoy the lovely compartment stock on the steam railway, but then with the bonus of the Island Line, where the trains are probably older than the steam locomotive you rode behind...

It will be a great shame when the 1938 stock goes. They feel almost like observation cars, with close-to 360-degree visibility through those long strips of windows, and the comfy sprung seats. Whatever replaces them will be unlikely to have those advantages.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
I learn, chiefly from the NVR website: ... walks, about 25 minutes to each, to the picturesque villages of Yarwell, or Nassington. Wansford station, line's nerve-centre: website cites for it, only NVR-related attractions. Wansford village (which I remember from long ago, as a pleasant place) is about a mile-and-three-quarters north-west of Wansford station. The station is close by the river Nene; one could, it's to suppose, relax on the river bank and admire the ducks and swans --..."

I can't remember if I've been to any of Yarwell, Nassington or Wansford villages. But the whole area in the quadrangle between Peterboro' - Grantham - Nottingham - Kettering has some truly delightful villages* - including many you could call 'hidden gems' - or perhaps, 'nobody-bar-those-what-live-there-much-knows-they-are-there' gems. If you go to the NVR by car, certainly make the effort to pop into Oundle - it's a truly remarkable place to view - should be on the Unesco World Heritage scam of a non-protected list.

E759

I see the Island Line as being virtually a heritage railway too... so get across to Wight, where you can enjoy the lovely compartment stock on the steam railway, but then with the bonus of the Island Line, where the trains are probably older than the steam locomotive you rode behind...

It will be a great shame when the 1938 stock goes. They feel almost like observation cars, with close-to 360-degree visibility through those long strips of windows, and the comfy sprung seats. Whatever replaces them will be unlikely to have those advantages.
38TS - What a rare privilege to be able to ride heritage stock on the National Network on a daily basis. On another thread people are lamenting the lack of 3rd rail Heritage running. Just come to the IoW now before the curtain closes on this exceptional chance to be transported back in time.

For myself, I’m betting on replacement stock being of comparable quirkiness that befits the Island Way. Meanwhile, Long alive the 38TS!

E759

It,s been fun reading the opinions on this subject and just thought I,d throw in another two dimensions to the discussion.

For me the length of the journey (and therefore the length of the track)does matter as the joy of the ride is linked to some kind of day out. And, as has been said,ideally we would go from somewhere to somewhere with a sense of purpose. The GWSR return ride was on a World War 2 weekend so there was something to see at the end of the ride. Going to the seaside and back e.g. Minehead from inland on the West Somerset would also fulfil that criteria and I,ll definitely do that one although I need a bit more than a seaside resort to get my partner along...I see there,s a museum in Dunster so that might do the trick. I,ll have to forego the compartments and the Pullman for this one sadly.

If however we put aside the Heritage tracks and think of the just the train and the ideal make up of compartments I guess this opens up a whole new other world of possibilities.I,m thinking here of these special trains (and special prices)like the Cotswold Explorer. They would provide the glamour I guess but they may also be a bit overly glitzy for us rail aficionados and actually lack the authenticity we talked about...do we need a bit of grime I wonder?

One other dimension would also be stations. This is a big one for me as I seek out old railway stations on all foreign travel much to the annoyance of anyone who travels with me. Simon Jenkins just published his 100 “best” UK stations. It,s subjective again of course but he,s a man with taste and I see he,s included Carnforth and the Brief Encounter museum they,ve created there. There,s also a special train I see that starts and ends there...anyone ever tried it?

http://www.carnforthstation.co.uk/events.html

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/...-railway-stations-in-britain-uk-simon-jenkins
Grime: The best example I’ve had this year so far was at Quainton Road. Arrived on the LTM tour from Wembley Park care of a couple of Class 20, a Crompton and the 4-TC. Immaculately turned out. At Quainton Road, there is a very short stretch of track for use by a kettle and a couple of MK 1. The MK 1 I was in was a corridor 2nd. It was undoubtedly the grimmest coach I have traveled in during 2018. Not sure which era this was representing, if late 1940’s then they did a very good job indeed.

Plenty of grime around if you care to look for it. Personally I think we have enough natural grime already and it’s a constant battle keeping stock clean.

muddythefish

On Moderation
I can't remember if I've been to any of Yarwell, Nassington or Wansford villages. But the whole area in the quadrangle between Peterboro' - Grantham - Nottingham - Kettering has some truly delightful villages* - including many you could call 'hidden gems' - or perhaps, 'nobody-bar-those-what-live-there-much-knows-they-are-there' gems. If you go to the NVR by car, certainly make the effort to pop into Oundle - it's a truly remarkable place to view - should be on the Unesco World Heritage scam of a non-protected list.

Shame the NVR never extended to Oundle. The station site was avilable for more than 20 years before it was redeveloped for housing. Trackbed to Wansford is still there

E759

I paid a brief flying visit yesterday 7/8/2018 (combined with some business in Cambridge). I saw glimpses of stunning fen landscape amid monstrous cathedrals of concrete erected to the Gods of Road Transport. Boys playing in the river just as Ransome described all those years ago in the wetlands to the East. A solitary Swedish railcar plodding up and down hooting louder but in sympathy with the wildfowl invisible but no doubt hiding in the reeds? I saw "Henry", bricked up in the "tunnel", shame written cruelly over his face waiting for the Fat Controller to buy him some new parts. A Jolly Green Giant resplendent with golden Sunshine lettering staring at "Henry" as if mocking him for his lack of authenticity; just another copy in a world filled by Chinese copies.

Plenty of nostalgia there for the taking if one can be bothered :)

PS: Part of the footpath from PBO to NVR is out of use so a bit of re-routing is required. Disconcerting for a first-timer but its reasonably obvious which way to go - straight on instead of right then cross onto the west side of the dual-carraigway at the temporary crossing put in place for that purpose.

Last edited:

RichJF

I live in East Grinstead & have a fascination with all the old lines closed in the area, so the Bluebell is top of my list plus it's walking distance from my flat. I can't wait for the day when they extend west to Haywards Heath as well whenever in the future that is!
This is followed by the Spa Valley Railway.

Watercress Line is great & was the first time it kindled my interest in the class 37 was I was a child & there was a huge BR Blue 37 at Alton.

Status
Not open for further replies.