• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

In the dirt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benn88

Sooo, any chance of the times for the Skoda runs this week then gents off the associated stations?

Would be appreciated :)

Ta.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benn88

Should be out Monday-Thursday, and probably again after the bank holiday.

Yeah this has been confirmed from a few other members also, but could anyone provide the actual departure times for this set off Euston and Bham NS + Wolvs? As I'm thinking of going for it at some point this week, but will be travelling from Manchester, and don't want to work out the times for a Pendo by accident!

Thanks.

Death

Established Member
Oh right, so you would be flogging them ERTMS 2??? That'd be rubbish because ERTMS 3 removes this whole block signalling rubbish and give trains a protective cushion as they move around the network, which takes into account the braking distance and the setting of the infrastructure. http://www.ertms.com/2007v2/what_levels.html
I havn't had time to read that link yet, but where I'm getting at with ERTMS 2 (Or C-APT II, as I was calling it) and the in-cab demo photoshop that I posted above is that it could be implemented and work in conjunction with the existing signalling system, without requiring any significant changes to signalling or other infrastructure - Bar finding a way of loading the current aspects of forthcoming signals into the trains computer on-the-fly, which I think could be done using extra packet data fed through ECTPS grids. :)

In short; The above outlined system could be fitted as an additional device onto most trains, and would work mainly as a "helper" system - Informing the driver of forthcoming signal aspects well in advance, and allowing him/her to react proactively to the signal long before they've been able to see it...And with that effectively increasing sighting distance for each signal to 100 miles plus, running speeds of up to and over 1,500mph could thereoretically be achieved in perfect safety! 8)

Does this RFID rope have pulleys on it? Is there a bell on the end? :lol: (I'm joking)
Why not? If I remember rightly, the original GWR used something like that in their signalling system...And it worked! :lol::D

Metroland

Established Member
Well the signalling system does need on overhaul. There's no question that current systems are not only expensive but out of date - the methods going back to the 1920s/30s.

The power boxes of the 60s were like an early invention of the internet, with electro-mechanical computers (aka relay rooms) communicating with the main interlock via a telephone cable.

Next came solid state interlocking in the 1980s, computers doing the logic, which by today's standards is comparatively simple. These computers ran (and still run) at 1 mhz, similar to the home computers of the 80s. The latest ones run at 2 mhz, such as Manchester South. Most of the reason is to ensure safety as only a few microprocessors can be assured to deliver constant results. Empty SSI interlocking cubicles cost £11,000, with prices of modules a few hundred pounds, I guess it all adds up. A price list can be found below.

http://www.signallingsolutions.info/pdfs/brochure.pdf

Today we have wifi, high speed high broadband phones, GPS - and that's just in a mobile phone which costs £150. I'm not an engineer, so I don't know why current railway signalling systems need lights on poles, cables to every cubicle and so on. But it strikes me this is an area where innovation is much needed. Ideally you would have a common system which is effectively portable and modular, the trains could either run in automatic or be driven on the main lines and be cheap enough to fit to all trains (including steam and enthusiast specials) without issue. The whole world should also be adopting the framework for it, so trains can run anywhere.

As for £35 quid per train Death, I think the latest ECTS fittings per train are around £400,000 each. (I have no idea why, I'm not an engineer). Line speed is also limited by track curvature, you would only get 20% extra with tilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.