• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident at Ealing (23/6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ushawk

Established Member
Reports that 2 people have been struck by a train at Ealing Broadway.

Service involved looks to be 1L74 1555 Cardiff - London Paddington.

Everything stopped between London and Heathrow/Slough. Thoughts to those involved.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bnm

Established Member
Believed to be an adult and child. Both female.

ushawk

Established Member
Believed to be an adult and child. Both female.

Indeed - incredibly shocking and sad. 2nd incident involving an adult and a child within a year after the incident at Slough September last year.

Got to feel for the driver after that - horrible.

Antman

Established Member
Sadly another awful incident.

FGW twitter feed says trains are not stopping at Ealing Broadway

CallySleeper

Established Member
Think I just missed this - ten minutes later and I'd have been stuck.

Guard on 1C33 just announced now that the area is a crime scene with 'foul play' involved.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
BBC News - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33250023

Two killed by train at Ealing Broadway

Two people, one believed to be a child, died when they were struck by a train in west London.

The pair were said to have fallen on to tracks at Ealing Broadway at 18:10 BST.

Police, who have appealed for witnesses, said they were treating the deaths as "unexplained" and had yet to identify the victims.

Heathrow Express services were suspended, while First Great Western said there were delays of up to 90 minutes to and from Paddington.

British Transport Police said: "We were called at 6.10pm to Ealing Broadway station following reports that someone had been hit by a train...
Guard on 1C33 just announced now that the area is a crime scene with 'foul play' involved.

If from the descriptions it was a mother and daughter, then it would be considered 'foul play' even if no-one else was directly involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill EWS

Just got home after being caught up in the delays at Reading. Returning from a day down at Looe everything ran well until we got to Reading West. I should have caught the 21.12 to Didcot but the 20.40 Paddington to Swansea came in first, at 21.35 with the 21.12 following the Swansea. Got home around 30 minutes late. Don't know anything about the incident at Ealing Broadway it sounds very sad.

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
Very sad the whole section between Ealing Broadway and slough is a suicide blackspot. Only thing that can really be done is gating off the high speed platforms when trains aren't stopping there. 2/3 is not really wide enough at Ealing Broadway.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Although it's not really a silver lining as such considering the terrible circumstances, by all accounts the railways family pulled together, with south west trains running additional and strengthened trains on the reading line, which I assume is no small feat.

Antman

Established Member
Very sad the whole section between Ealing Broadway and slough is a suicide blackspot. Only thing that can really be done is gating off the high speed platforms when trains aren't stopping there. 2/3 is not really wide enough at Ealing Broadway.

I believe this section of line has by far the highest rate of suicides in the country?

matt_world2004

Established Member
Hypothetically during a major long term incident at Ealing Broadway can trains from Paddington be diverted down the Shepherds Bush London Overground line to Clapham junction and then Reading?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I fear that such tragedies are only going to become more and more frequent until the government stops seeing mental health services as expendable. If anyone saw Channel 4's "9-9-9 What's your Emergency?" last night, it focused on dealing with callouts from people suffering from mental health issues. As things stand, at best we have "an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff", and it is all too often railway staff that have to deal with the results.

My thoughts are with everyone involved in this incident. :(

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

I think Ealing Broadway already does have the fast line platforms fenced off?

SWT_USER

I think Ealing Broadway already does have the fast line platforms fenced off?

I go through every day and I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure it does now - Hanwell, Southall, Hayes and West Drayton definitely do.

I passed through about 15 minutes before this incident yesterday. Very sad :(

Captain Chaos

They aren't fenced off fully. The area by the stairs to the platforms have no fencing.

For good reason. During rush hour the large majority of passengers will congregate around the bottom of the stairwell so as they can be by the stairs at stations enroute. They will rarely move for anyone and it has been a problem for as long as I can remember. They just seem intent on cramming into that one coach near the stairs unfortunately.

SWT_USER

For good reason. During rush hour the large majority of passengers will congregate around the bottom of the stairwell so as they can be by the stairs at stations enroute. They will rarely move for anyone and it has been a problem for as long as I can remember. They just seem intent on cramming into that one coach near the stairs unfortunately.

Indeed - I expect it is because the exits at Southall, Hayes and West Drayton are all at the front of the train and everyone wants to be first off. The problem was made worse yesterday and Monday as Heathrow Connect were incapable of running a proper service so there was a large gap between trains from Ealing Broadway to Southall and Hayes.

I'm aware this isn't relevant to the fatality yesterday so apologies for dragging this thread off topic. :oops:

Antman

Established Member
Reported as mother and 16 year old daughter.

Disturbingly a lot of people were trying to take photographs, words fail me.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Yes, everyone for Southall and beyond will wedge the front coach while you have no problems getting several seats to yourself at the other end :(. Even more so last week Saturday when there was a rain shower just before a Heathrow Connect arrived. The canopies really need to be longer, or for there to be one in the first place on P4. Likewise Southall in the up direction where a 360 will stop at the end so the rear of the train is almost away from the canopy and seats.

The problem was made worse yesterday and Monday as Heathrow Connect were incapable of running a proper service so there was a large gap between trains from Ealing Broadway to Southall and Hayes.

I'm aware this isn't relevant to the fatality yesterday so apologies for dragging this thread off topic. :oops:
Power supply issues of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.