• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident on 20:27 Lumo train 28th December

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Tonight the 20:27 Lumo service to Edinburgh made an unscheduled stop at Grantham to eject a rowdy passenger. A young man had to be removed due to trying to wrestle everyone in the carriage. The Customer Hosts told him to stop although he ignored them and said they couldn’t do anything.

The train came to a stop at Grantham although the doors remained closed. The “Customer Driver” made a blunt but yet descriptive announcement over the tannoy:

“Unfortunately due to one of our passengers not knowing how to behave in public we have had to stop here to have them removed. We do not feel comfortable leaving them in the hands of 2 female platform staff so currently waiting for police to arrive. I would like to say sorry for the delay and inconvenience caused, especially to those in the back carriage for putting up with that rubbish”

After the individual had been removed by police, the train continued now running rather delayed

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

htafc

A link to the RTT page for the service is attached for reference, showing the delay described by the original poster.

Idiotic

I like the honesty from the Driver.. fair play to them for not leaving them with the platform staff either.

Sounds like it was handled well!

danm14

“Unfortunately due to one of our passengers not knowing how to behave in public we have had to stop here to have them removed. We do not feel comfortable leaving them in the hands of 2 female platform staff so currently waiting for police to arrive. I would like to say sorry for the delay and inconvenience caused, especially to those in the carriage for putting up with that rubbish”
While I agree with their sentiment, I can't help but think that it's spectacularly idiotic to use language like this when the individual in question is still on board the train.

What would they have done if this riled him up more?

Metal_gee_man

This is the moment you need an off duty officer on board to cuff him or a couple of burly rugby players to sit on the idiot until such time he calms down.

It's that or like on an aircraft the service crew have cable ties to hand to cuff the fool to a seat (with help of course)

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
While I agree with their sentiment, I can't help but think that it's spectacularly idiotic to use language like this when the individual in question is still on board the train.

What would they have done if this riled him up more?
Indeed, whilst I appreciate emotions were running high, there is a degree of professionalism I would expect from staff in any role. Certainly if I spoke to someone in my role the way in which the “customer driver” chose to in this instance, there would (rightly) be serious repercussions.

This obviously isn’t a pleasant situation, but treating it calmly and professionally is much better than getting angry and berating passengers over the public address system, particularly in earshot of the relevant passenger.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
I like the honesty from the Driver.. fair play to them for not leaving them with the platform staff either.

Sounds like it was handled well!
I agree, I believe it is important to keep everyone informed of what is happening. Although not professional sometimes being to the point is best

The incident was dealt with as swiftly as possible. The individual concerned was rowdy and a nuisance, although not dangerous

william.martin

On Moderation
This is the moment you need an off duty officer on board to cuff him or a couple of burly rugby players to sit on the idiot until such time he calms down.

It's that or like on an aircraft the service crew have cable ties to hand to cuff the fool to a seat (with help of course)
Would of been even better if there was an under cover officer who was on duty, the once I was on a WMR 170 and a pair of teenagers were kicking off at the conductor then BOOM...
The man's in cuffs and dragged of the train at Bilbrook - Happy days :D

I agree, I believe it is important to keep everyone informed of what is happening. Although not professional sometimes being to the point is best

The incident was dealt with as swiftly as possible. The individual concerned was rowdy and a nuisance, although not dangerous
The once I was making my usual weekly journey on the Cambrian coast line however nobody wanted to get in the rear carriage as there was a hen party going on !

WizCastro197

Established Member
Tonight the 20:27 Lumo service to Edinburgh made an unscheduled stop at Grantham to eject a rowdy passenger. A young man had to be removed due to trying to wrestle everyone in the carriage. The Customer Hosts told him to stop although he ignored them and said they couldn’t do anything.

The train came to a stop at Grantham although the doors remained closed. The “Customer Driver” made a blunt but yet descriptive announcement over the tannoy:

“Unfortunately due to one of our passengers not knowing how to behave in public we have had to stop here to have them removed. We do not feel comfortable leaving them in the hands of 2 female platform staff so currently waiting for police to arrive. I would like to say sorry for the delay and inconvenience caused, especially to those in the back carriage for putting up with that rubbish”

After the individual had been removed by police, the train continued now running rather delayed
Are you on this service?

Established Member
Indeed, whilst I appreciate emotions were running high, there is a degree of professionalism I would expect from staff in any role. Certainly if I spoke to someone in my role the way in which the “customer driver” chose to in this instance, there would (rightly) be serious repercussions.

This obviously isn’t a pleasant situation, but treating it calmly and professionally is much better than getting angry and berating passengers over the public address system, particularly in earshot of the relevant passenger.
The passenger was probably on the platform by this point.

Sounds like the situation was dealt with professionally

Don't see why one incident of a disruptive passenger means Lumo is now Ryanair. Other TOCs have far worse situations on a daily basis.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator

Sounds like the situation was dealt with professionally
I would hardly call a driver berating a passenger over a PA system “professional”.
Don't see why one incident of a disruptive passenger means Lumo is now Ryanair. Other TOCs have far worse situations on a daily basis.
I agree, Lumo serve a specific purpose and do so generally very well. These issues are absolutely not exclusive to their services.

danm14

"The train came to a stop at Grantham although the doors remained closed. The “Customer Driver” made a blunt but yet descriptive announcement over the tannoy" suggests otherwise, as does the reference to waiting for police due to unwillingness to leave the passenger with platform staff

dk1

Veteran Member
Customer driver :o

I can’t take anything else in this thread in apart from that. It’s such a cringing title.

Facing Back

I can’t take anything else in this thread in apart from that. It’s such a cringing title.
Yeah. I get the comments about professionalism but I'm cool with the announcement. Lumo is did everything well apart from calling them the customer driver. Can you drive a customer?

dk1

Veteran Member
Yeah. I get the comments about professionalism but I'm cool with the announcement. Lumo is did everything well apart from calling them the customer driver. Can you drive a customer?

I can drive several hundred but I’m just a big standard train driver lol

Isn’t this literally the purpose of the railway :D

I have never understood this job title change obsession. Does it boost the ego or something?

It really doesn't make sense to me.

Reinventing the wheel springs to mind.

the sniper

Established Member
I hope the Ambassador ensured everyone in the carriage got a Ferrero Rocher for their trouble.

william.martin

On Moderation

Why did they put the word "customer" I would like to meet the person in HR who thought that people would see a person in the cab of an 803 and think he is a driver just for a solitary member of staffs way home!

dk1

Veteran Member
I hope the Ambassador ensured everyone in the carriage got a Ferrero Rocher for their trouble.

We had a box full left in our messroom today as I suspect was a Christmas gift that the recipient didn’t want in their house. Everyone at work was so suspicious. Nobody takes them seriously.

jagardner1984

Personally I’d say we could all do with a bit more straightforwardness when it comes to delays. Once had to handle some ever delightful football fans on my little bit of the railway “when the doors are no longer blocked, the doors will close, and you’ll all get to where you want to go”. Said people were booted with impressive force onto the platform. Job done.

Out of interest, is there much call for a service arriving in Edinburgh at 2am on a Thursday morning ? (Genuine question, I don’t know).

KGX

So many vile people around. Sounds like it was well handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.