• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incorrect Advice from Virgin Staff at Birmingham New Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinner

Note: this post follows on from my posts in https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...buy-new-ticket-by-ticket-office-staff.165953/, but I have set up a new thread to avoid taking the original one off-track.
---
Following my issues at the ticket office in Birmingham New Street, I have composed the letter below for issued to Virgin. I thought I would post it here as it provides a bit more detail on the incident, and I would also value any feedback from members of this board.

"I am writing to express my disappointment in the incorrect advice I was given by the Virgin ticket office staff at Birmingham New Street on Monday 18th June 2018 when dealing with a missed connection due to a delay to an incoming service.

On the day in question I was travelling from Kemble to Paisley Gilmour Street using the combination of tickets attached. As you will see from these tickets, I was due to arrive into Birmingham New Street at 1056 on a Cross Country Service, and depart and 1115 on a Virgin West Coast service. This itinerary allows for more than 15 minutes to change at Birmingham New Street, and is a valid itinerary that shows up on online journey planners.

On the day in question the Cross Country service did not arrive into Birmingham New Street until 1117, causing me to miss my departure to Glasgow. I spoke to gateline staff, who advised that I should go the ticket office, where my ticket would be “stamped” to allow travel on a later service. However, the ticket clerk at the office claimed that I would have to purchase a new ticket, as he claimed I was making two separate journeys. This is contrary to the National Rail Conditions of Travel: Section 14.1 specifically notes that “you may use a combination of two or more Tickets to make a journey”, whilst Section 28.2 states that “where disruption prevents you from completing the journey for which your ticket is valid and is being used, any Train Company will, where it reasonably can, provide you with alternative means of travel to your destination”. My journey in this case was Kemble to Paisley, and I politely requested that your staff member speak to his supervisor to confirm this point.

After speaking to his supervisor the staff member informed me that the supervisor believed I was incorrect, but had authorised him to issue a new ticket (an Anytime Single to Glasgow) for free as a goodwill gesture. [edit]This required a form to be filled in by the ticket clerk, and so there should be a record of this transaction. As this solution allowed me to complete my journey I accepted this and did not raise any further concerns at the time, however I am now writing to raise two points.

1. I am extremely concerned that ticket staff, including supervisors, do not correctly apply the National Rail Conditions of Travel. Split Ticketing is becoming increasingly common, and people who are less familiar with rail travel (especially more vulnerable passengers) would be unlikely to challenge the initial decision of the ticket clerk. This would lead them to paying potentially large sums of money when no fee should be charged in such circumstances.

2. I am also concerned that incorrect procedure was applied in issuing a new ticket, when all that was required was an endorsement to the original ticket (as advised by the member of staff at the gateline). This highlights poor training of both ticket clerks and supervisory staff.

I request that you should review the instructions and training issued to all staff in order to ensure that the passengers’ rights in respect of the Conditions of Travel when travelling using a combination of tickets are respected without question. Please can you let me know what action you will be taking to ensure that these instances do not occur in future?"

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Note: this post follows on from my posts in https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...buy-new-ticket-by-ticket-office-staff.165953/, but I have set up a new thread to avoid taking the original one off-track.
---
Following my issues at the ticket office in Birmingham New Street, I have composed the letter below for issued to Virgin. I thought I would post it here as it provides a bit more detail on the incident, and I would also value any feedback from members of this board.

"I am writing to express my disappointment in the incorrect advice I was given by the Virgin ticket office staff at Birmingham New Street on Monday 18th June 2018 when dealing with a missed connection due to a delay to an incoming service.

On the day in question I was travelling from Kemble to Paisley Gilmour Street using the combination of tickets attached. As you will see from these tickets, I was due to arrive into Birmingham New Street at 1056 on a Cross Country Service, and depart and 1115 on a Virgin West Coast service. This itinerary allows for more than 15 minutes to change at Birmingham New Street, and is a valid itinerary that shows up on online journey planners.

On the day in question the Cross Country service did not arrive into Birmingham New Street until 1117, causing me to miss my departure to Glasgow. I spoke to gateline staff, who advised that I should go the ticket office, where my ticket would be “stamped” to allow travel on a later service. However, the ticket clerk at the office claimed that I would have to purchase a new ticket, as he claimed I was making two separate journeys. This is contrary to the National Rail Conditions of Travel: Section 14.1 specifically notes that “you may use a combination of two or more Tickets to make a journey”, whilst Section 28.2 states that “where disruption prevents you from completing the journey for which your ticket is valid and is being used, any Train Company will, where it reasonably can, provide you with alternative means of travel to your destination”. My journey in this case was Kemble to Paisley, and I politely requested that your staff member speak to his supervisor to confirm this point.

After speaking to his supervisor the staff member informed me that the supervisor believed I was incorrect, but had authorised him to issue a new ticket (an Anytime Single to Glasgow) for free as a goodwill gesture. As this solution allowed me to complete my journey I accepted this and did not raise any further concerns at the time, however I am now writing to raise two points.

1. I am extremely concerned that ticket staff, including supervisors, do not correctly apply the National Rail Conditions of Travel. Split Ticketing is becoming increasingly common, and people who are less familiar with rail travel (especially more vulnerable passengers) would be unlikely to challenge the initial decision of the ticket clerk. This would lead them to paying potentially large sums of money when no fee should be charged in such circumstances.

2. I am also concerned that incorrect procedure was applied in issuing a new ticket, when all that was required was an endorsement to the original ticket (as advised by the member of staff at the gateline). This highlights poor training of both ticket clerks and supervisory staff.

I request that you should review the instructions and training issued to all staff in order to ensure that the passengers’ rights in respect of the Conditions of Travel when travelling using a combination of tickets are respected without question. Please can you let me know what action you will be taking to ensure that these instances do not occur in future?"
That sounds alright to me, though you'll want to enclose pictures of your tickets (including the newly issued one).

I'm considering whether I should write into Virgin about a very disappointing experience I had at their New Street ticket office too. But since it was the ticket office supervisor who handled it I very much doubt they'll admit that the supervisor didn't (at least according to my reading of the procedures) follow the correct procedure, let alone reimburse me appropriately. Ah for the arrival of a competent and binding Railway Ombudsman...

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Feedback? Do you want my honest opinion?

Did you get a name of the people involved?

Grinner

Feedback? Do you want my honest opinion?

Did you get a name of the people involved?

Yes, I would like honest opinion, why else would I have posted it here?

I did see the first name of the ticket clerk on his namebadge but I am not looking to get him into trouble really: it is the training and the supervisor's odd choice of action that are the real issues. Although they will be able to work out it was him pretty quick, he filled out a form when he issue the ticket to me so there is a record.

father_jack

An anytime single vice a covering note to travel ? That's a big loss for a booking office to take.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I suppose if it's true that staff members had been issued with a brief specifically declaring that such connections are 'unprotected' and that no endorsements etc. should be issued, they are not necessarily at fault - after all, they could face discriplinary action if they fail to abide by management's instructions (even if said instructions are totally wrong).

So really it's the management at fault here, or whoever else issued those very wrong instructions.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I did see the first name of the ticket clerk on his namebadge but I am not looking to get him into trouble really: it is the training and the supervisor's odd choice of action that are the real issues. Although they will be able to work out it was him pretty quick, he filled out a form when he issue the ticket to me so there is a record.
Right. That makes it better. Otherwise I would have told you it's pointless.

May be worth pointing that out in the letter.

Yes, I would like honest opinion, why else would I have posted it here?

Because not everyone likes what they hear unfortunately, especially when complaining. Seen it too many times on this forum.

Grinner

Thanks, I suspect you are right that nothing will come of it (and it's not like I'm asking for anything concrete like money). But I'm not too busy right now so, and I was hoping that this would at least add to a steady stream of general complaints over this issue that may eventually lead to some improvement.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Looks good to me. Conveys all the issues without turning into War and Peace (I’ve seen a lot of very lengthy complaint letters in my time!).

gray1404

Established Member
Endorsements are not required either. It concerns me when people think they are. You would have been entitled to simply join the next Service

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Endorsements are not required either. It concerns me when people think they are. You would have been entitled to simply join the next Service
Of course, but if one has time at the interchange station (as you might well have if you've just missed an hourly service, for example) then if you didn't get an endorsement on the train, IMO it's worth getting an endorsement at the station. It simply saves the conductor further down the line from having to look up train delays when there may be no mobile signal or a confusing route/itinerary.

Grinner

Of course, but if one has time at the interchange station (as you might well have if you've just missed an hourly service, for example) then if you didn't get an endorsement on the train, IMO it's worth getting an endorsement at the station. It simply saves the conductor further down the line from having to look up train delays when there may be no mobile signal or a confusing route/itinerary.
Exactly, that was my thinking, I had nearly an hour to wait so it seemed silly not to seek out a formal authorisation.

Grinner

Right. That makes it better. Otherwise I would have told you it's pointless.

May be worth pointing that out in the letter.

I've edited the letter as you suggest to add "This required a form to be filled in by the ticket clerk, and so there should be a record of this transaction."

exile

Established Member
Re: endorsements - on a previous occasion I was travelling from Warrington to Swindon when there was a problem between Birmingham and Gloucester which meant I had to go via London instead. I doubt very much if I would have got past the platform staff at Paddington if the ticket hadn't been endorsed, it was difficult enough even with the endorsement.

Grinner

I have an update, in that Cross Country have agreed to repay the full cost of my journey (Kemble to Paisley, total delay being over 1 hour), without quibbling or noting any issues about the fact that it was split ticket. As I know that others have struggled to get this, this is an excellent outcome.

I haven't yet had any response from Virgin regarding my complaint.

Grinner

I have now had the following response from Virgin. Pretty positive from my point of view in that they (more or less) accept they were in the wrong here.

"Thank you for your email which we received on 23 June 2018.

Firstly, I am sorry to learn that your Cross Country service being late resulting in you missing your connection train.

In the meantime, if you want to get in touch with them you can do so through this link:
CrossCountry
Here’s a link to their Delay Repay form too.

Furthermore, I am am sorry about the inconsistent information you were given at the station and as you allowed more than the minimum connection time of 12 minutes you would be able to get ton the next available service due to your previous train being delayed.

A lot of work goes into the training of our people to ensure this process is as smooth and as efficient as possible. I am sorry to learn this was not the case for you.

I will ensure that this incident is raised with the Station Manager just in case there are any training needs to be highlighted.

Thanks for taking the time to write to us. Your comments help us to improve your experience the next time you travel with us. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon."

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I have now had the following response from Virgin. Pretty positive from my point of view in that they (more or less) accept they were in the wrong here.

"Thank you for your email which we received on 23 June 2018.

Firstly, I am sorry to learn that your Cross Country service being late resulting in you missing your connection train.

In the meantime, if you want to get in touch with them you can do so through this link:
CrossCountry
Here’s a link to their Delay Repay form too.

Furthermore, I am am sorry about the inconsistent information you were given at the station and as you allowed more than the minimum connection time of 12 minutes you would be able to get ton the next available service due to your previous train being delayed.

A lot of work goes into the training of our people to ensure this process is as smooth and as efficient as possible. I am sorry to learn this was not the case for you.

I will ensure that this incident is raised with the Station Manager just in case there are any training needs to be highlighted.

Thanks for taking the time to write to us. Your comments help us to improve your experience the next time you travel with us. We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon."
Well, it's not a full "admission of guilt" but it's about as close as any TOC is going to get to in writing! I would call this a moderate success, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.