• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Independent train driver assessments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atishyou

I think £92k outlay is not bad at all for a long career. I am 26 and been flying since 15 it has always been there. Whilst earning over £70k in the UK been offered a tax free position with a well known gulf carrier so will likely make the move. It works out over £9k per month tax free with living expenses mainly covered including education fees if needed. Try beating that on the railways....

You can, you could have worked for DB in the middle East for about £100k tax free with no initial outlay.

Out of curiosity, why are you on the careers section of a rail forum if the airlines are 'so amazing'?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
You can, you could have worked for DB in the middle East for about £100k tax free with no initial outlay.

Out of curiosity, why are you on the careers section of a rail forum if the airlines are 'so amazing'?

To remind us what peasants we are on the railway :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

RBSN

I think £92k outlay is not bad at all for a long career. I am 26 and been flying since 15 it has always been there. Whilst earning over £70k in the UK been offered a tax free position with a well known gulf carrier so will likely make the move. It works out over £9k per month tax free with living expenses mainly covered including education fees if needed. Try beating that on the railways....

That’s not what people are saying; the point is it’s more achievable to earn 65-70k on the Railway than it ever will be to earn the above.

The above is pipe-dreams for most.

Set_DRA

Enjoy life in the Gulf....don’t forget to send us a postcard.

Val3ntine

I don’t get it, like do you want a well done or something? Because we’re all happy to pat you on the back and say well done to you lol. You’re just coming across as someone very bitter who seems to have this amazing job and salary *shrugs shoulders*
Anyway well done mate :)

RBSN

I don’t get it, like do you want a well done or something? Because we’re all happy to pat you on the back and say well done to you lol. You’re just coming across as someone very bitter who seems to have this amazing job and salary *shrugs shoulders*
Anyway well done mate :)

It doesn’t make much sense does it. This amazing job but loitering around the Rail Recruitment forum.

I call bullshiiiit

Val3ntine

It doesn’t make much sense does it. This amazing job but loitering around the Rail Recruitment forum.

I call bullshiiiit

This is the thing he/she/bi-gendered is really making themselves look very silly. But I and most other rail or non rail worker on here doesn’t really care lol, but if they’re so desperate to be entertained I’m sure there are some who will be willing to entertain them :)

WrongRoad

I think £92k outlay is not

I suggest you read on the PPRUNE forums about working for a certain Middle Eastern airline. Your 9k monthly salary may sound fantastic but your working conditions, quality of life, non union protection, unstable rosta, unable to take leave when requested are actually making a lot of pilots that work there hate it and looking for any opportunity to leave.

Stigy

Established Member
That last sentence made you just sound arrogant. I’d rather be on the railway to be honest. I couldn’t care less if I’m on a meagre salary compared to an airline pilot.

For the record, I’ve heard of signallers earning in the region of £100k for a Grade7 box with some overtime ;)

Last edited:

Highlandspring

Established Member
For the record, I’ve heard of signallers earning in the region of £100k for a Grade7 box with some overtime ;)
Someone’s fibbing then because £100k on a grade 7 (£41k basic) is not realistically achievable. It’s possible for the Controller grades if you really smash the ham.

Stigy

Established Member
Someone’s fibbing then because £100k on a grade 7 (£41k basic) is not realistically achievable. It’s possible for the Controller grades if you really smash the ham.
Maybe they were, is Grade 7 the highest grade?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Where does the average 26yr old get £92k. People are struggling to pay their rent let alone paying out £92k for training. Its unachievable for the most part. The benefit of becoming a Driver is that from the Day you pass you get a headline salary of between £45-70K. That's with just a year of training. How many years do you need to put in as a pilot before earning above £60k. Mathematically I think the return for a Driver over time will surpass the time it takes to reach your earning potential as a pilot. Granted, once its reached then it can be golden days.

I think that your also in a very exclusive club where the top earn the money but with train driving everyone has the same earning potential. We have around a thousand Drivers at my TOC. How many pilots at BA are on £50k+ ?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Some ECO grades are earning £100,000 plus easy, I know a few signallers who earn £70k+ but they live at work!

I’m happy with my salary, and my three day week, money isn’t everything - says a rich man (or Pilot) which I am of neither lol

BTU

Can you get me a job there?

LCC106

Established Member
I know a pilot at a budget airline who does safety inspections in an abattoir part time to top up his money. They don’t get the hours they were originally promised. Quite happy being a 4 day a week driver thank you.

Atishyou

I know a pilot at a budget airline who does safety inspections in an abattoir part time to top up his money. They don’t get the hours they were originally promised. Quite happy being a 4 day a week driver thank you.

That's nothing according to the taxi driver who took me to a job recently. Apparently after his taxi work and his security job, he takes home over £4k a month.

Interesting really, as security jobs are generally low paid employment and taxi drivers salaries are dependent on where they work and the frequency of their work.

I can only assume he was living at work and not paying his fair share of tax.

I said to him I'd rather get my salary and do the 11 hours that I was doing that week haha!

baz962

Established Member
I suppose it depends on all different criteria for any job . Before I got my new job on the railway I was at Luton airport doing a security job . I knew many pilots for a few budget carriers and most new entrants were on 30k , while first officers were on circa 50k and captains circa 70 to 80k. As ex close protection , amongst other things I sometimes earnt 25-30 pounds an hour twenty years ago.

Lee Collier

It’s not being negative.

Pre-interview (getting past the ‘paper-sift’) is all about your application and the information within it, having passed your psychmetric tests or not doesn’t come in to it at that point.

So paying to do the tests is a financial risk and of course there are no guarantees that you will pass either way.

Having a pass mark but a bad application will not get you through. Not saying the OP will have a bad application but that’s how it works now.
I really don’t understand why people are always saying “it’s a waiste of time” why the negativity? I paid for my private assessments with DB Schenker November last year and have now been offered a trainee train driver position with my local TOC last month. I believe it shows the toc how determined you are about getting into the train industry. You wanted the position so much you put your hand into your own pocket and paid for the assessments yourself but it’s really your choice mate all I know is paying for private assessments worked myself.

Hi!
Thinking about doing the same. Have you got a contact number or email address you can pass on to me?

Thanks

Lee Collier

Hi all!

Forgive me, but nee to forum, so still trying to navigate around the site!

Can anyone supply me with a contact email address or a phone number to sit a private train driver assessment? I’ve heard DB Schenker provide them?

Thank You

ComUtoR

Established Member
Are you the same Lee Collier as works at a well known TOC based in the South ?

Status
Not open for further replies.