• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Information for GTR Southern passengers during strike (no DOO discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimble19

Established Member
Is the painting of stations a franchise requirement? All the stations on the Uckfield Line have had a coat of paint in the last month or so. This might be due to the extensions but I boarded a train at Woldingham today and that had been painted too.

Fairly sure passengers would prefer to have trains rather than newly painted stations! Uckfield line has had limited issues with cancellations during this dispute, although total closure on strike days he says to be sort of on topic.

Comtinuing to be slightly off topic (apologies!) but are the Southern stations going the same rather somber shades of grey and black with the occasional dash of yellow and blue/pink (depending on route) that GN / TL are going?

Passengers mainly seem to be commenting that it matches their mood at the moment :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a reminder (again) this is meant to be for information on train services.

Please feel free to create a thread in the relevant section to discuss anything else, thanks :)

Deepgreen

Established Member
On Monday evening and again this morning (the only two times I have used it this week), all five train indicator screens in the ticket hall at Dorking station were simply displaying the same blanket message that an emergency timetable was in operation. No information at all about actual departures, etc., though, despite the fact that almost everything there has not been affected by the emergency timetable - brilliant!!

Attachments

• IMG_4091a.jpg
    IMG_4091a.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 53

jon0844

Veteran Member
I had that at Stevenage on Monday. Told staff and they said they change every now and then and to just wait. I said they definitely weren't changing and the lady started to get quite abrupt saying they did and to just wait!

Every single screen went to that. Even the platform screens, all saying about problems at Moorgate. Not a single train on all four platforms being shown, and yet staff still believing you just needed to wait!!

0f7b042f51422bdc663f5fad5a9557da.jpg

Deepgreen

Established Member
It's so much more important to tell us (on every single screen in a bank of many) that the trains are running to a different (or not, in the case of Dorking) timetable than actually to tell us when! However, do remember that they take good quality information very seriously!!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is the painting of stations a franchise requirement? All the stations on the Uckfield Line have had a coat of paint in the last month or so. This might be due to the extensions but I boarded a train at Woldingham today and that had been painted too.

Fairly sure passengers would prefer to have trains rather than newly painted stations! Uckfield line has had limited issues with cancellations during this dispute, although total closure on strike days he says to be sort of on topic.

Claire Perry compounded the view that she is just as useless as Southern yesterday on the radio when she said that passengers are travelling on old trains, on old track, and through stations that have not been modernised. Given that she was answering a question about the current disruption, none of these (inaccurate) points were at all relevant! Patrick McLoughlin was just as bad this morning on a radio slot. Astoundingly incompetent and obfuscatory.

Phil.

Established Member
I have to take a train from Farringdon to Wimbledon Chase on Saturday A.M. returning Saturday P.M. Are these running in a satisfactory manner?

LBSCR Times

It's so much more important to tell us (on every single screen in a bank of many) that the trains are running to a different (or not, in the case of Dorking) timetable than actually to tell us when! However, do remember that they take good quality information very seriously!!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Claire Perry compounded the view that she is just as useless as Southern yesterday on the radio when she said that passengers are travelling on old trains, on old track, and through stations that have not been modernised. Given that she was answering a question about the current disruption, none of these (inaccurate) points were at all relevant! Patrick McLoughlin was just as bad this morning on a radio slot. Astoundingly incompetent and obfuscatory.

Probably referring to the Seaford branch, with the antiquated 313 units....

Deepgreen

Established Member
Probably referring to the Seaford branch, with the antiquated 313 units....

Still irrelevant to the current staffing disruption. She was simply trotting out the feeble old tired statements which are supposed to make passengers think the DfT understands the plight of, and sympathises with, passengers - but which don't!

a1a.a1a

It has been said that the fate of many rural byways was sealed, in the Beeching era, when the track was renewed and the stations spruced up. Closure followed, six months later.

Well, the painters and decorators are out in force at Seaford, Bishopstone and Newhaven Town stations, this week, undisturbed by a train service. The 'temporary' closure of the branch is 'indefinite', and with the revised timetable achieving it's strategic objectives - there were very few cancellations or staffing-related delays in the morning peak - I wonder whether we shall see trains restored for the remainder of this year.

I used the rail replacement bus service mid-morning. For the record, operators observed were:

Seaford & District
Metrobus
Compass
LJ Edwards of Hailsham
Brighton & Hove
Regency Coaches

Generally, Dart-type single deck vehicles. There was a controller at Lewes and 'bluecoat' security staff at Lewes and Seaford. The promised 15-minute frequency was being maintained, and none of the buses I used and saw were that busy: it's a needlessly long journey down the C7, where the A27/A26 route would shave 5-10 minutes and be less twisty for those (like me) who don't travel well on buses in hot weather. But in the peaks, I'm sure there will be capacity problems unless they run relief buses, which might be the plan.

Stopped off at Newhaven on the way back, which caused an issue. Me and several others waited in the bus/taxi interchange, by Town station, for the 15.02 bus to Seaford. Every other replacement bus, in both directions, was calling there before doubling-back to Harbour station. At 15.02, a Brighton & Hove single decker appeared from the Lewes direction and took the road to Harbour directly, missing out the interchange and intending passengers from Town. There would have been passengers alighting at Town, I'm sure, who must have been deposited at an unknown location.

Again, this is neglect of the basics. Newhaven Town is the station for the Dieppe ferry, used by travellers unfamiliar with local transport arrangements. Really, there should be a member of staff guiding people to the replacement buses, but at the very least the official stopping arrangements should be publicised at the station and briefed to all bus drivers. Basic operational incompetence, with not a single piece of signage to assist passengers.

Though they have been unreliable lately, and the bus service is likely to prove more robust, I'm going to miss our trains. So will the many thousands who visit Seaford for the Seven Sisters or Newhaven for the ferry, over the summer season. I suspect local retailers will feel the impact in their tills.

There's a public demonstration at Seaford station tomorrow evening (I'm already firing-up the brazier), then a public meeting with our MP and a GTR bigwig on Thursday. I'm not normally one for activism, but I think if everyone stays silent we will be stuck with buses for years, potentially, whilst London services are prioritised. There is a need for a large number of locals to agitate peacefully, until at least an hourly train service is restored and a full compensation package agreed: not Delay Repay, but compensation for buying (expensive) rail season tickets then being lumbered with a bus service, instead.
08f942cc1bd94e09f16164e4d32400c9.jpg

As seen at Newhaven Town

DasLunatic

I have to take a train from Farringdon to Wimbledon Chase on Saturday A.M. returning Saturday P.M. Are these running in a satisfactory manner?

That's Thameslink, so you should be fine. AFAIK, the strike only covers Southern services. It may, however, be busier than usual.

Bishopstone

Established Member
As seen at Newhaven Town

That's the interchange, where I waited... whilst the bus I wanted to use vanished down Railway Road, instead.

The stopping arrangements need to be signed roadside, in or by the relevant shelters. And bus drivers need to be briefed where to stop, not permitted to exercise whatever discretion they see fit.

DT611

I didn't hear the Claire Perry interview but i heard a bit of the interview with Patrick McLoughlin and i would agree with your statement. I can't say i'm surprised though.

Ze Random One

That's Thameslink, so you should be fine. AFAIK, the strike only covers Southern services. It may, however, be busier than usual.
I would be mindful that there does seem to have been an uptick in train failures on Thameslink lately, particularly affecting the 319s that do the Wimbledon and Sevenoaks services, so leave extra time if you can

sarahj

Established Member
That's the interchange, where I waited... whilst the bus I wanted to use vanished down Railway Road, instead.

The stopping arrangements need to be signed roadside, in or by the relevant shelters. And bus drivers need to be briefed where to stop, not permitted to exercise whatever discretion they see fit.

Many moons ago there was an issue early morning between Harbour and Seaford. I was told my train would reverse at Marine and start from Town, with a bus bringing the punters from Seaford and Bishopstone. We got to town, and waited. And then the level crossing barriers went down, trapping the bus the other side. I guess the bus driver refused to open the doors. I waited as long as I could, but in the end, had to blink, and we left, imagining the scene inside that bus as we pulled away.:s

Bishopstone

Established Member
Many moons ago there was an issue early morning between Harbour and Seaford. I was told my train would reverse at Marine and start from Town, with a bus bringing the punters from Seaford and Bishopstone. We got to town, and waited. And then the level crossing barriers went down, trapping the bus the other side. I guess the bus driver refused to open the doors. I waited as long as I could, but in the end, had to blink, and we left, imagining the scene inside that bus as we pulled away.:s

At least the bus driver had to deal with the irate mob, rather than you. :)

I've just popped down to Bishopstone, which has two 'Where do I board my rail replacement bus?' posters. Both of them give the wrong location for buses in the direction of Seaford, to a non-existent bus stop on a road (Marine Parade) with a low bridge that would take the top off a double decker, as sometimes used on rail replacements.

I make no apology for being exacting. I'm paying a train fare for a bus service, and - yet again - the quality and quantity of passenger information provided by GTR to displaced customers is wanting.

Kristofferson

So to steer this rail replacement bus topic back on track...

Has any progress been made towards getting the two sides to settle their differences and reinstate the service, or towards replacing Southern with DOR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hophead

Established Member
Ah, thankyou for that.
P.

The information is misleading, I'm afraid. Thameslink drivers are just as dismayed by GTR management as their colleagues at Southern and may decline to work overtime or rest days over the weekend. Check National Rail and/or Thameslink and/or Live Departures before travelling to see if there is a reduced service (there was last Sunday I seem to remember). Information is unlikely to be available before Friday afternoon at the earliest (and, this being GTR, may well not be released at all).

LBSCR Times

The information is misleading, I'm afraid. Thameslink drivers are just as dismayed by GTR management as their colleagues at Southern and may decline to work overtime or rest days over the weekend. Check National Rail and/or Thameslink and/or Live Departures before travelling to see if there is a reduced service (there was last Sunday I seem to remember). Information is unlikely to be available before Friday afternoon at the earliest (and, this being GTR, may well not be released at all).

We get criticised for putting information out too far in advance, and we get the same if we leave it until the last minute, on the off-chance it might be covered!
What those who complain don't understand is you cannot make alterations and avoid blocking platforms etc at the last minute, including balancing for the following day!

Carlisle

Established Member
So to steer this rail replacement bus topic back on track...

Has any progress been made towards getting the two sides to settle their differences and reinstate the service, or towards replacing Southern with DOR?
Southern commuters being interviewed on the radio two days ago weren't very optimistic at all, they couldn't realistically see anything other than all sides continuing to dig in,for the time being anyway

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
At least the bus driver had to deal with the irate mob, rather than you. :)

I've just popped down to Bishopstone, which has two 'Where do I board my rail replacement bus?' posters. Both of them give the wrong location for buses in the direction of Seaford, to a non-existent bus stop on a road (Marine Parade) with a low bridge that would take the top off a double decker, as sometimes used on rail replacements.

I make no apology for being exacting. I'm paying a train fare for a bus service, and - yet again - the quality and quantity of passenger information provided by GTR to displaced customers is wanting.

I've driven a double decker bus under that bridge myself on RR work, there was a bus stop just up the road IIRC?

philthetube

Established Member
When I was bus driving a standard decker was 14'9. the bridge is signed at 14'7 so any driver going under that bridge with a standard decker is leaving themselves liable to prosecution regardless of whether the bus fits or not.

There are however low bridge variants starting at 13'6

sarahj

Established Member
It looks like the Seaford branch may be getting some sort of service tomorrow. I'm down to work the 07.10 BTN-SEF-BTN. Seems they are cutting out the west worthing trains instead.
Working a train from Brighton to Southampton today, and then on towards Vic. Punters for Brighton were given an option of:

Change at Barnham, wait 50 mins for the XX08 service from Pompy, or remain on the train , change at Three Bridges, and if the connection is ok, get to Brighton 8 mins before the train you would have waited for at Barnham. Most went up to Bridges.

Things seemed to be working a bit better and there is a plan to bring more services back. mmmm, she says after looking at the sheets for Sat.

bengley

Established Member
It looks like the Seaford branch may be getting some sort of service tomorrow. I'm down to work the 07.10 BTN-SEF-BTN. Seems they are cutting out the west worthing trains instead.
Working a train from Brighton to Southampton today, and then on towards Vic. Punters for Brighton were given an option of:

Change at Barnham, wait 50 mins for the XX08 service from Pompy, or remain on the train , change at Three Bridges, and if the connection is ok, get to Brighton 8 mins before the train you would have waited for at Barnham. Most went up to Bridges.

Things seemed to be working a bit better and there is a plan to bring more services back. mmmm, she says after looking at the sheets for Sat.

Wasn't the plan for this amended timetable only to operate M-F anyway? As far as I recall weekends are operating a normal service.

74A

Wasn't the plan for this amended timetable only to operate M-F anyway? As far as I recall weekends are operating a normal service.

Makes sense otherwise you would start getting issues with route knowledge if drivers did not drive the route for an extended period of time.

sarahj

Established Member
back on from monday it seems.

• 09.06 Gatwick Airport to Victoria non-stop (arriving 09.36)

• 10.00 Victoria to Brighton (arriving 10.54) calling at Gatwick Airport

• 06.36 Victoria to Dorking calling at Battersea Park, Clapham Junction, Wandsworth Common, Balham, Streatham Hill, West Norwood, Gipsy Hill , Crystal Palace, Norwood Junction, West Croydon, Waddon, Wallington, Carshalton Beeches, Sutton, Cheam, Ewell East, Epsom, Ashtead, Leatherhead,

• 07.34 Dorking to Victoria calling at Leatherhead, Ashtead then as normal from Epsom departing 07.49

• 08.35 Dorking to Victoria calling at Leatherhead, Ashtead, Epsom, Ewell East, Cheam, Sutton, Carshalton, Hackbridge, Mitcham Junction, Mitcham Eastfields, Balham ,Clapham Junction

• 16.37 Victoria-Epsom calling at Battersea Park, Clapham Junction, Wandsworth Common, Balham, Streatham Hill, West Norwood, Gipsy Hill , Crystal Palace, Norwood Junction, West Croydon, Waddon, Wallington, Carshalton Beeches, Sutton, Cheam, Ewell East

• 18.57 Epsom to Victoria calling at Sutton, Carshalton Beeches, Wallington, Waddon, West Croydon, Norwood Junction, Crystal Palace, West Norwood, Streatham Hill, Balham, Wandsworth Common, Clapham Junction, Battersea Park

• 06.20 Streatham Hill to London Bridge (arriving 06.43) calling at Tulse Hill, North Dulwich, East Dulwich, Peckham Rye, Queens Road Peckham and South Bermondsey

• 0905 Streatham to London Bridge (arriving 0929) calling at Tulse Hill, North Dulwich, East Dulwich , Peckham Rye , Queens Road Peckham and South Bermondsey

• 17.09 Peckham Rye to London Bridge (arriving 17.19) calling at Queens Road Peckham, South Bermondsey

• 17.46 South Bermondsey to West Croydon, starting 17.30 at London Bridge

• 08.40 East Croydon to Clapham Junction 09.04 calling at Selhurst, Thornton Heath, Norbury, Streatham Common, Balham, Wandsworth Common

• 17.35 Brighton to Lewes (arriving 17.51)

• 17.57 Lewes to Brighton (arriving 18.13)

• 18.22 Brighton to Seaford (arriving 18.55)

• 18.59 Seaford to Brighton (arriving 19.31)

Status
Not open for further replies.